We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
Curtis Kam does a great version in his lecture.
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I'm only aware of Ammar's version. It's a pretty fun routine and gets some good reactions. Fun for kids also.
The method is not the secret.
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
As mentioned above, Bill Goodwin's version in his "1988 Lecture Notes" is worth checking out. You end clean!

Charles
Suave Dan
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
656 Posts

Profile of Suave Dan
I use and really like Jay Sankey's version.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
My magic buddy, Mike Smith, taught me the moves for the Cannibal Kings the night before I left for the Niagara Comedy Magic Seminar this past April. As I arrived a day prior to the conference, I had some time on my hands and wrote a fun script/patter that works really well for me. I've posted the script on my website (without a description of the moves). Anyone is free to use it if they like it and it fits their personality. Go to http://www.medicine-in-motion.com/magic.htm and look at the bottom right corner of my magic scrapbook page. [For the record, I've never seen any other version of this routine aside from what Mike showed me.]

Incidentally, I precede Cannibal Kings with my original "voodoo version" of a trick that Bob Elliott taught me (it was the first trick that he learned). I've posted that there as well. Have fun!

jeff in san diego
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1220 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 18:15, Steven Youell wrote:
The precursor to Cannibal Cards was in Close Up Card Magic: Apex Aces
I STILL do that trick.

SEY

This is one of my favorite tricks, and one of the most I worked on. I tried to find a justification for putting the final ace reversed, then show it on top .. etc.

I tried to work out another method, but the original is still the most direct with no fumbling with extra moves ..

~ Feras
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1305 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 22:18, landmark wrote:
Eek--cannibal cards? What's next-- Minstrel Mates? Please let's move on, it's 2008.

Jack Shalom

The magic effect is timeless, but the patter??? Sooo... updating, I usually talk about 4 imperialist leaders (eg Bush) gobbling up smaller nations. I love this trick, though. It's so different than other card tricks!
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1528 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
There is nothing at all wrong with the presentation. Is it a little dated? Maybe...but I seem to remember seeing photos on MSN recently of a tribe that was JUST discovered near Peru. If you wanted to update the presentation, that might be the way to go.

Also, we're all entitled to our opinions here, but I'm really getting sick of all the Bush slams. I'm not too crazy about what the guy's doing either, but this isn't really the place. Not to mention, calling Bush an "Imperialist" is like calling Sadam Hussein a "humanitarian".
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 13:57, rickmagic1 wrote:
calling Bush an "Imperialist" is like calling Sadam Hussein a "humanitarian".

Imperialism - the policy of extending the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies and dependencies.

lolwut?
mackinley
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mackinley
Another vote for Mr. Ortiz's, from "Scams and Fantasies." This is a great routine. He's also got a great presentation for it.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
No one's mentioned Walt Lee's 'Canibal Card' act... so I will/have.

Another to add to the llist is 'Missionarys' Revenge' from the book John Verse 2 which has the 3rd Missionary eating the Cannibals!

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1205 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 13:57, rickmagic1 wrote:
There is nothing at all wrong with the presentation. Is it a little dated? Maybe...but I seem to remember seeing photos on MSN recently of a tribe that was JUST discovered near Peru. If you wanted to update the presentation, that might be the way to go.

Any word yet if this newly "discovered" tribe practices canibalism?
I can't imagine that even in this day and age one could be thin skinned about practicing canibalism.
"Thin skinned" mmmmmm.... crispy thin skinned...mouth watering....
Anyway.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
lcombs
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of lcombs
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I will go back and reread the Ortiz and Mendoza versions. How would I go about finding a copy of Bill Goodwin's 1988 Lecture notes?

Thanks again,

lcombs
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5356 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I only recently purchased Book of John II, and haven't yet explored much of it. Thanks for the "heads up," Neal!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I don't think that the cannibal card effect needs "updated" at all. First, the idea of "cannibal" is best left to talking about the ancient past. Further, with the current "Indiana Jones" movie, talking about a WW2 story fits right in. Finally, it's such a great visual you would have to have the patter of Henry Kissinger to flub it up... Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
It should be noted that Jon Racherbaumer, in his 1976 book, The Ascanio Spread, credits Pete Biro with an Ascanio spread version of the Cannibal Cards, although he says that Pete disclaims it. It looks as though Pete was the originator of some the patter and funny moves that have filtered down to us.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
869 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Don't forget to mention Sanvert's version of Cannibal Card

It has surprise ending. Can be found in his DVD Volume 2

Thanks
Andre
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1528 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 17:44, Alewishus wrote:

Any word yet if this newly "discovered" tribe practices canibalism?
I can't imagine that even in this day and age one could be thin skinned about practicing canibalism.
"Thin skinned" mmmmmm.... crispy thin skinned...mouth watering....
Anyway.

A.

OH MY GOSH!! This reminded me of an episode of "Family Guy" where Stewie called his sunburn peelings "Stewie jerky"!!!

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
470 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 20:47, nique wrote:
Another vote for the routine from Ortiz. I especially like the 2nd phase with the card going into the middle of the cannibals, then without any moves the packet is spread to show the selection gone. And I feel the 2nd and 3rd phase just nicely cancels out any thoughts of a method for the spectator. Great sequence.

The credit for this very clever handling and construction goes to Mike Powers, as I mentioned in my book. My contribution was primarily in the final phase where the selected cards are reproduced. Anyone who likes my routine should also check out Mike’s version cited earlier.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Furniture
View Profile
Elite user
London
415 Posts

Profile of Furniture
Hi,

Ortiz version is one of the best structured. The final addition reproducing the card is a very nice touch as people always check before where are the cards!

I also love Tamariz' presentation and Chris Kenner version
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cannibal Cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL