The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cracked egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Hi. my dove laid an egg on May 20th. Today I saw that the egg was cracked and you could see a tiny little bird inside. however it didn't move. is it dead or not yet born do you think? I don't know when the egg is supposed to open...
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
Sorry, this question was to know if I should remove the egg and the nest
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Give it a day and you may be surprised.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
The little dove was indeed dead but they soon laid eggs again and today a little dove was born. I'm so excited... I hope everything goes fine.
just a couple of questions:
- when do doves start feeding their baby? I haven't seen them giving any food to the baby yet.
- how long before I can throw away the other egg if it's not fertile?
Anything else I should be aware of?
thanks guys in advance
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
By the other egg you mean the second one in this group, leave it alone. They normally hatch within a few days of each other.

The adult birds will start feeding the baby almost immediately. You'll see both the male and the female doing this many times during the day.

As for anything else to be aware of, just leave them alone for several weeks. The parents will take care of everything.
Where the magic begins
magicodine
View Profile
Regular user
italy
198 Posts

Profile of magicodine
The other egg was indeed not fertile but guess what, yesterday and today two new doves appear in the nest :-D it was roughly about a month after the previous chick came to life. I didn't expect doves to be such fast breeders...
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves will reproduce as soon as there is room in the nest. Usually it will take about 6 weeks until the chick is on it's own. It shouldn't be long after that for new eggs to appear. The hatching cycle is about 21 days.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cracked egg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL