The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help - 'Blue Gun Steel' - removing tarnish marks?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Hi all,

Just a quick one but I have a set of cups made from "Blue Gun Steel" but after a week or so away I have got back and had them out of the cupboard to have a quick play and rehearse etc but found them to have 'spots' of brownish marks at random places on the cups, but I can't work out what it is or why its there???

Anybody have any ideas or tips on how to sort this out without any special machines, etc.? I don't want to start throwing on chemicals and cleaners if I'm going to make it worse :-S these are my pride and joy so any help would be great, especially as I have a little show in a few days and I'd like to have these up and running by then.

Thanks!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's called ferrous oxide, also known as RUST!!!!!!

Ask Jake what to do.

When I was shooting black powder, I used an oil that would take mild cases of rust right off the surface of a firearm; however, I don't recall the name of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2135 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Just arrived in WV at the other shop. I'm on an iTouch and it's a booger to message on. Let me get into Parkersburg to an internet Café and I'll post more about what you can do. It's a simple solution.

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
Thanks Jake, look forward to hearing from you. You have my email address?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 15:37, Mad Jake wrote:
Just arrived in WV at the other shop. I'm on an iTouch and it's a booger to message on. Let me get into Parkersburg to an internet Café and I'll post more about what you can do. It's a simple solution.

Jake

Jake, I'm looking forward to seeing your answer, as I have an old Ruger 10/22 carbine with some slight rust spots I'd like to spiff up, but I have been afraid to do anything for fear of screwing the job up.
Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
As Jake mentioned above - he is currently at his other workshop, but for all who are interested, here is the information I received from RNT2 to help remove the tarnishing and maintain your cups! - Thanks Jake! Smile

"The spots are a reaction from the PH level in your sweat that is on your hands. If you take a green or red scotchbrite pad this will remove them.
To maintain the cups and keep them from doing this, there is a product that I use to polish the cups prior to shipping. The product name is Flitz
and originated in Germany so I'm sure it's available where you are at."

Hope this helps you guys and girls too!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
This will take several applications. I've been using a set of blue steel cups and flitz'd them 1 a week for 2 months and now every other month or so and have had no reaction issues or rust.

I hope to be home mid next week, in the mean time you can email marcellajeanz@mac.com with any other questions and she'll foward them to me to my iTouch. I can't read email on this thing and can barely read the Café Smile
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Flitz makes great products.

I also like Never-Dull (especially for brass and copper that are not too badly tarnished). Speaking of which, Bill Robinson over at Viking Magic has always warned everybody off of Brasso which he says removes too much of the brass (not good for precisely-fitted parts in brass micro-magic).

Hagarty also makes a wide range of good polishes for various metals.

Fortasse
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
My next job is finding some - does anybody know where I can find Flitz here in the UK??

Closest I've found so far is Germany, or the USA (for $6 shipping on a 3.4Oz tube!)??
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Check in your various auto shops, Tesco, or Costco.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Flitz isn't a widely-availale product in the UK. You can get it from a UK-based online retailer (might be easier): http://www.midwayuk.com/
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Just curious, isn't there a blueing agent for guns. I believe I saw some in Walmart. If I recall It was for fixing this particular problem. Walmart had two different items for this.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 16:16, Kipee wrote:
My next job is finding some - does anybody know where I can find Flitz here in the UK??

Closest I've found so far is Germany, or the USA (for $6 shipping on a 3.4Oz tube!)??

http://www.flitz.com that 3.4 oz tube will last you a long long time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Help - 'Blue Gun Steel' - removing tarnish marks?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL