The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best set of cups and balls for a beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't need to buy anyting to learn to handle cups and balls. You hvae cups, glasses, things in the kitchen. wad up some bread or roll up bits of tissue paper or find small rocks or cut up corks... and start to learn to handle things.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Pete has a great point. You can probably find some plastic tumblers that even allow for nesting sequences. And don't forget, when Lance wanted to do the cups on a TV special, did he use any fancy cups? Nope, 3 coffee mugs from the dollar store.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob Read used to stroll with three teacups he borrowed when he got to whatever venue he was performing at.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-06-11 13:26, Bill Palmer wrote:
Think of how many people you have watched whose hand movements were simply beautiful, but they screamed MANIUPLATION. If you watch John Carney do the Ramsay material, you won't realize anything is happening until the magic has occurred. Then it's too late.

This is probably the best post of the year. Too few people care to understand this concept. It will mostly go unnoticed.

For a simple example, check out the vanish of the second "die" in Paul Gertner's "Triple Die Lemma" Routine. That vanish should sum up the thinking of Ramsay, Carney, et al. That's the vanish I use for the second ball in my cups and balls routine.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 01:31, Pete Biro wrote:
You don't need to buy anyting to learn to handle cups and balls. You have cups, glasses, things in the kitchen. wad up some bread or roll up bits of tissue paper or find small rocks or cut up corks... and start to learn to handle things.

This post brought back a rush of memories Pete! I learned Vernon's routine from an older cousin when I was 8 or 9. I practiced it all the time, and showed it to friends whenever I went over their house...plastic drinking cups were my favorite to work with.

In the Marines, I'd use 3 canteen cups & when I was in the Peace Corps (about 20 years after I'd learned the cups routine from my cousin) I still didn't own my own set of metal cups; I had a small plastic set that I'd gotten from a toy store box o' magic.

It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I bought my first set of cups...I was a stilt-walking, balloon twisting, fire eating, juggler and I'd just bought Charlie Frye's Eccentricks vol. 1. I bought a set of Ickle Pickle cups from the website that I bought my 260 balloons from. I remember thinking "40 bucks for a set of cups! That's crazy...but I need the cho**ed one for this new routine".

Well, here I am in my mid-thirties now, and a bonofied cups junky! I perform twice a week outdoors these days and alternate between a show that ends with the cups and a show that uses no table. My fancy cups have payed for themselves many times over, but I still love to pull out the plastic drinking cups at a friends house for a bit of fun and nostalgia!

Well...sorry for the long trip down memory lane. I had a blast though!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2213 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 22:03, whitjm5 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback.

I did notice Pete, that handling the crocheted balls is VASTLY different than say, spongeballs. False transfers and finger palms will take me a while to get looking pretty. Smile

Marcy sent you out a set of my personal Stainless Montis today, with some balls. Being in Fla. I know you can find some lacrosse balls easily at a sporting store.

They show a bit of wear, but they're not doing me any good sitting in a box. Use them in good health, just promise us all you'll practice practice practice.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
And that, my friends, is a humbling example of "magicians helping magicians."
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
WOW!
What would Wavy do?
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1349 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Congratulations whitjm5,

Keep us posted on your progress.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jake... you are the man~!
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 10:51, Donal Chayce wrote:

I would like to second that! You rock Jake!

Sean
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Whitjm5, you've got one fine set of cups on the way!

Jake, ...what can I say?
"But there isn't a door"
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 10:51, Donal Chayce wrote:

Ditto and well said.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Just echoing the point that Bill and others have been making about making your movements look natural, I recall reading that Dai Vernon said once that he would spend the first day or so learning the mechanics of a trick - a basic how-to-do-it self-tutorial........and then having learned the trick, he would go on to spend the next 90 days or so, night after night, practising how to make it look natural BEFORE performing it professionally.

Making your moves look natural..........it really is the supreme misdirection, isn't it?

Fortasse
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Whitjm5,
I just wanted to say congratulations on getting the cups, I am really happy for you (I kind of feel a kinship to you. You were one of my first posts that I replied to when I joined TMC). This is a generous thing for Jake to do for you.

I enjoy visiting TMC more then any time spent speaking with others at a magic shop.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are a lot of people on this forum that have benefited from this kind of thing from Jake.

He's one heck of a guy!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
661 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Jake is a stand up guy indeed
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Thank you Jake. That's very kind and I'll put many more hours of use on them. Smile As I gain more experience (and gear, I'm sure) I'll be sure and pay the gesture forward to a beginning magician. Until they arrive I'm working on 3/4 across as done on Greg Wilson's "On the Spot." Once they're here my wife will just have to get used to our bathroom counter being cleared off so that I can practice daily in front of the mirror.

Again, a SINCERE THANK YOU!!!

Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:06pm
Jake,

I received the cups today and they're gorgeous. I'm going to be practicing like a madman (pun intended) in hopes that I can improve my handling enough to perform this for some folks in an assisted living facility next week. I have enough stuff to fill 15-20 minutes without the C&B, but I think it would be a GREAT finale. I'm going to pick up the balls today or tomorrow. Thank you again for your kind gesture. If I can ever help you or another member in any way, please just let me know. I'll keep you updated on my progress.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Whitjm5,

Good luck.

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Best set of cups and balls for a beginner? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL