The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Abbott's Smart Ass-review (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..13~14~15 [Next]
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Well I am proud to be the first to review this! Ha always wanted to do this!

Effect- A card matches the card your sitting on.

Where to buy- Bill Abbott

I have mixed feelings about this. I will deffently use it, but was it worth 60 bux? Well yes and no. If you like Bill Abbotts style, you get 4 different scripts you can use. Some for adults, some for kids, some funny, some serious.

What you get?
A 40 minute DVD featuring Bill Abbott himself, performing and explaing all the parts of smart ass. You also get a jumbo backed card and and special heavy duty gimmicked deck.

Quality
Top notch for quality! DVD well produced and special deck made great!

Teaching
The teaching is very good from Bill. He goes through everything, extra props you may need for certian routines and where to get them, Very nice on the teaching! There is also an interview with him at the end about smart ass! He teaches other ways of performing this aswell, Like if you don't want to throw the cards all over the stage, he covers unique ways for this problem, which I will use!

Diffuculty
This is super easy. Once you learn it, practise the 'move" 50 times (super esay) and your set...Well you have to get the patter down. But the trick itself is very easy and the spectator does all the work.

The Scripts
This is probably one of the main reasons you are going to buy this effect, cool routine with an audience tested script. Well, I thought the scripts were alright. Theres 2 kinda funny ones..meh on the funny...one more serious and one about a princess?! There are some lines I will use in the scripts and most of the jist of them, but change it in some areas.

Pros
Scripts can be used
An effect I will deffently use and I can see getting good reactions
COmes with almost everything you need
can be done on stage
Deck will lat a long time

cons
A litle expensive
You have to throw cards around stage...clean up (options not to though)

Overall
This is pretty good overall. A little expensive though. I will deffently use this, with possibly my own script and a little of Bill's. If you like Bill's style, and would love a script from him...actually 4! Go for it! Since I thought the scripts were only alright, I think it should have been priced at $40, but then agian if you will use the scripts 60 for sure! I will give it a 7.5, as it is simple, but hits hard! Packs flat, plays very big!
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Your review sounds more positive than a 7.5!! C'mon...8 perhaps? 8.5?
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Do I hear a 9?...Going once...going twice...
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Well, as I wont be using the full scripts, I only gave it a 7.5, as I will use the trick...but not with the scripts entirly. If one was to use the scripts an 8.5 easy should be given...Just in my opinion, the scripts were average.

The rest of the package, props etc were good however!
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
704 Posts

Profile of RooMan
9 it is!
Krazyjay
View Profile
Loyal user
One hand typed all
264 Posts

Profile of Krazyjay
So with this special heavy duty gimmicked deck, if the spectator throws the cards all over the place will they see anything.
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 18:59, Krazyjay wrote:
So with this special heavy duty gimmicked deck, if the spectator throws the cards all over the place will they see anything.

Nope!
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Quote:
On 2008-06-10 17:28, RooMan wrote:
9 it is!

LOL! If it was a magician fooler too...and I mean really badly then maybe a 9. Im tough!
cns
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of cns
I'm sure you'll be able to survive the throw at the end, make up you own at a small cost to you. That way the next time you perform you'll have not "surprises"
Great piece of magic, if you're looking for the pack small play big thing, this falls right into that catagorie. I'm enjoying it and will continue to do so.
Bill Groome
View Profile
New user
Columbia, S.C.
89 Posts

Profile of Bill Groome
This is a very good commercial routine. If you work for money, this will fit into most shows nicely. Best part is that it does "pack small and plays big". I think most entertainers will find the investment reasonable for a "worker".
All the Best,
Bill Groome (owner)
www.MadhatterMagicShop.com
Madhatter International
Randy B
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Randy B
Hocus Pocus has a good deal on this today only, Get Wayne Dobson's tossed out deck and dvd free with purchase, wish I would have waited to purchase now.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2008-06-12 17:44, Randy B wrote:
Hocus Pocus has a good deal on this today only, Get Wayne Dobson's tossed out deck and dvd free with purchase, wish I would have waited to purchase now.

Yeah........I saw that how convenient. The day I get mine in the mail, is the day they have a special on it. Smile
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I'll give it a "9". Great routine.

Robert
sharonyyy
View Profile
New user
israel
57 Posts

Profile of sharonyyy
Hi,
is no risk that some cards will "fall" into the audience and revealed the "gimick"?

or, maybe the man that on chair will choose to check the deck?

I really want to order this,but this little things,is important....

thanks
sharon
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Basic audience management is the answer to both of your questions, Sharon.

For starters, you need to direct the spec as to where they should toss the deck (if in fact you choose that handling - as other options are offered in the routine). Have them toss the deck over their head, and, unless you are performing 'in the round,' the cards are on the floor behind everyone.

As for "checking the deck," the same concern could be raised with many, many (not just card) routines, if a spec is left to their own devices (and spare time). In this case, the deck stands up well to reasonable scrutiny, but the key is keeping your spec occupied with actions, so that there is no 'dead time' in which they can go 'Sherlock' on you.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 12:01, sharonyyy wrote:
Hi,
is no risk that some cards will "fall" into the audience and revealed the "gimick"?

or, maybe the man that on chair will choose to check the deck?

I really want to order this,but this little things,is important....

thanks
sharon

First of all, you have the spectator throw the cards BEHIND him so no audience members will be there. Second, you CAN have him shuffle the deck as well. No worries there.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Loyal user
N. California Bay Area
230 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Does the spectator get to freely select which half to throw up in the air- or is it some kind of magician's choice each time?

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
Randy B
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Randy B
No magicians choice totally free choice by the spectator
Martin Waring
View Profile
Loyal user
York, England
255 Posts

Profile of Martin Waring
Mine's just arrived and I've yet to perform it but I'm very happy with what I've got. For the quality and thought that's been put into the routine, the added variations, the teaching and the materials I'm quite happy to rate it as a "9".

I'm looking forward to doing this at my next gig.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
The routine is great! Since there is a fXXXX near the end, 0bviously the free choice is only when they cut and choose. Additionally, the routine could be done with a normal deck where they handle the cards until they get down to a few ;however,it is mentioned the heavily gaffed deck can be shuffled by them. This by itself, is amazing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Bill Abbott's Smart Ass-review (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL