The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » TUBE - You NEED this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
R Gould
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of R Gould
Sorry to sound a note of discord, but why do people like these kinds of effects?

It seems to me that if you wanted to do a truly stunning prediction, you'd use low-tech items that are above suspicion.

For example, "name any football team.... now go to that potted plant in the corner of the room, remove the dirt, and look inside at what's printed on the gold medallion there."

Isn't THAT more impressive than using something on the internet?

Most people on internet forums understand that you can EDIT a post months or weeks later to make it look like you said a completely different thing. Even if that's not exactly how this works, the explanation is logical enough to prevent me from even considering this a magical effect.

This tendency toward using technology in everything is off-putting. It reminds me of that dreadful manuscript someone put out about using a cell-phone as a four-our wallet. Ugh!
daffelglass
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of daffelglass
Can it be done over the phone? I think it would be awesome to call my friend and say "Name and animal, now go to my youtube page"

Even if that's not possible, the effect sounds great
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2008-08-18 15:29, R Gould wrote:
Sorry to sound a note of discord, but why do people like these kinds of effects?

If the spectator likes it, I like it. In my 25+ years of performing magic, this effect has received the single best reactions I've ever witnessed. If you owned this effect or even saw it performed you'd see your specific criticism (the possibility of editing the video) is way off base. I too hate the idea of anything that feels techy or contrived. But in my opinion (and apparently the opinion of the dozens of people I've performed this effect for) there's absolutely nothing odd or tech about chronicling a premonition on a youtube video.

Oh, and yes, this is possible over the phone. However it's much more deceptive (I'd go so far as to say 'utterly impossible to figure out') in person, standing right next to the person on their computer.

Best, Platt
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
will4gzus
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of will4gzus
I agree with Platt, this is a fantastic effect. It is a real reputation maker and just knocks a spectator silly when you are there with them at their PC. One to think on, imagine going into the office of a manager of some venue and did this as a introduction to get a paying gig, you will get the gig for sure.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Gould, I agree with you, anything on a computer is suspect.

This is a nice routine for the right moment. It isn't commercial in the sense in the arenas one performs for pay in it would not fit. You are not going to lug around a lap top working tables, you don't want to call up the site with your phone etc.. If your office doesn't block youtube or you happen to run into someone who is using their computer fine, do it as a 'hey, let me try something' bit. It is cool but so was the old trick done with google (did they ever fix that?). Platt, I see you are a youtube fanatic so this is likely much more exciting to you than to people who don't carry a link to a youtube location with every posts. That is fine though, glad you are enjoying it.
Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Oxon, UK
108 Posts

Profile of Bryce
I can only comment on the reactions that I have had with Tube. So far it has received very strong reactions from all age groups and all types of people, none of which have raised the idea of technologically cheating. The fact that you hand the link over before the effect starts seems to be a strong point for people.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I have TUBE and witnessed a friend do this over the radio, after he had sent a sealed box to them several days in advance and to say the host was impressed, is an understatement.

You could clearly tell he felt he witnessed the impossibe.

Not a trick, but the impossible!

Think about how fair this effect is.

There seems to be no method to a laymen and the more they think about it, the more impossible it seems.

In this day and age, this is very easy to do, but I would limit it's use, as miracles don't happen every day.

I think it is Brilliant.

Steve Haynes
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
Which version did your friend do for radio? if ya don't mind me asking...

Dane
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
He took the core of Tube and put together his own routine.

Best,

Steve Haynes
Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Oxon, UK
108 Posts

Profile of Bryce
I like the sound of that Steve, is there a link to the broadcast at all?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This has REALLY captivated my interest!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I watched the demo, and it blew me out of the water!

I have no idea of the method. It just looks so clean and above board. If the spectators actually see what we see in that demo, this is now on my gotta have it list.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Hi, a friend of mine suggested not to do it with cards. For example, let them think at a card. Because he thinks this could tip the method sooner than another presentation. Is he right? Because it is tempting to do something with cards with this effect.

If I wanted to predict the bill of a dinner with friends for example, it would be MUCH easier to use Postmentalism.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I think the method would be very hard to tip no matter what presentation is used. That being said, there are so many more presentations that can be used besides cards, I would try some of the others Jason suggests or make up your own. I've come up with presentations that hit much harder than the 'pick a card' routine.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
TUBE is an example of "super" creative thinking. You'll be inspired by the mind that came up with it. Those that have it know what I mean.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
I have purchased this effect and can't wait to try it out.

Jeff
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jason Messina, creator of Tube, sent out an e-mail and one of the things he mentioned is as follows:

"TUBE was nominated as one of the tricks of the year over at itricks.com. I'm not really one for prizes or accolades, I do my best and kind of let it go after that. But, my mom somehow found out that I was mentioned on itricks and it would mean the world to her if I made it into the top 4. So, if you purchased TUBE and you liked it, wander over to itricks.com or email them at vote@itricks.com and tell them how much you liked TUBE. It would mean a lot to my mom. Either way, I'm happy".

Any fans of Tube and Jason's work might want to think about throwing support to our friend.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Mine is on the way. A couple of questions so I can begin preparing.

I have just booked an unusual (and amazing-paying) gig delivering important documents to CEOs around my state. My clients think having a magician do the delivery will provide for a memorable way to get their proposal into the right hands. So I'll be going around to offices. Am I right that The Tube will be amazing for this environment?

Also, can others go to the same website and see the prediction? I mean, when I'm on NPR, and do this over the radio, I'm sure multiple listeners will want to check at the same time. They can all do this?

Thanks so much!
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I just ordered this and am excited about the possibilities!
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » TUBE - You NEED this (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL