The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rabbit production (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I want to make a rabbit production box but am not sure what to go for, or even if I know all the methods. My rabbit isn't big but he's not a tiny dwarf either, and I want something where he will be comfortable and happy for half an hour or so.

I also want to be able to be able to perform without worrying too much about angles and stray spectators going to the sides and back. And to be able to perform outside.

I can made a tipover box (have made one for a hamster) but that has angle problems and for a rabbit the box would have to be pretty big to avoid the angle difficulties.

I can make a box where the front opens; the rabbit is in a compartment at the back; a flap falls down and releases the bunny (I have Spellbinder's plans based on this principle). I am not sure that this is going to be *totally* deceptive, with older children and adults.

A mirror box: I worry how deceptive these are, particularly a large one, and if I have to perform outside with it it seems there are possible sunlight reflection problems. Also the ones I've seen the rabbit has to rest on a sloping surface which is not so good.

Square circle: I think the rabbit might knock it over.

What other options are there and where could I get plans or sketches?
Jolyon Jenkins
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Duane Laflin put out a tape several years ago on rabbit productions that was quite good....he gives a demonstration, shows how to make them, and even gives the exact measurements for some of the effects...the others you can figure out dimensions quite easily....he even gives you permission to make your own... for doing it yourself, this is an excellent resource, and you can tailor make the apparatus to the size of your bunny. It's called "The Rabbit Production Video." Check his site for availability, or check their son's site.
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
I forgot to mention that there are 10 different routines and productions on the video.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
You beat me to it dbearden, Duane Laflin's tape is great. Also, check out the "Polly wants a cracker" forum. There are some good ideas there as well.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-06-14 08:19, rjenkins wrote:
I can make a box where the front opens; the rabbit is in a compartment at the back; a flap falls down and releases the bunny (I have Spellbinder's plans based on this principle). I am not sure that this is going to be *totally* deceptive, with older children and adults.
What other options are there and where could I get plans or sketches?

I think you mean Jim Gerrish's plans sold on Spellbinder's site. However, both Jim and I agree that NO box production will ever be truly deceptive in the way you want UNLESS it combines a box with good old sleight of hand (or in this case, sleight of rabbit). Imagine this. You hand a kid a base, have him examine both sides, give it a whap and verify that it is only 1/8 inch thick. Now hand him four side panels to insert in the base, building a box. You hand the kid a top to place on the box. The kid feels the box getting heavier and heavier. The top and sides are removed and there is the rabbit.

That's the same basic principle as producing a rabbit from a borrowed hat, except you can't find too many men wearing the right size hats these days. But the secret is not in the hat, nor in the box, but in the handling and practicing the sleight of rabbit move found in many of the oldest books on the subject.

The box adds elements of distraction that the hat never could because it has several different parts for the audience to keep an eye on.

This is actually included in Jim's Hardboard and Duct Tape Book 2- as the "Tear Apart and Take Apart Dove Vanishes." In the article describing "Take Apart #1" Jim shows how to make a dove vanish in a box being held by a spectator, and then reappear again. You could just as easily make the dove simply appear in the box. Or appear and then disappear. OR make the box big enough for a small rabbit.

In any case, it is an example of sleight of dove/rabbit combined with a box that can be held in the hands of a spectator and examined piece by piece as it happens.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Just one word of warning...You should not leave ANY animal in a tight enclosed space for a half hour outside. I lost several doves in a vanishing bird cage the assistant forgot to immediately unload. Those things get hot really fast if the sun hits them.
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Well, it looks like they may not be selling the Rabbit Production video any more....I could not find it on their website (Lock Family Magic handles Duane's magic stuff)...you might find someone here on the forum that has one they would sell you....again, I highly recommend it if you can find one; it is full of great ideas for building your own rabbit production items.
David
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Sorry for the misattribution, Professor. I'll check out the plans you mention. Meanwhile I think that if the Jim Gerrish plans were combined with a mirror box principle (i.e. mirror instead of black art) that might be pretty deceptive. And I've thought of a way to keep the rabbit level and comfortable - but need to play around in the workshop first.

Point also taken about rabbits in hot weather. I'll have to use an assistant (my daughter) to load the rabbit, but then I'm happier using an assistant to keep an eye on the livestock anyway.
Jolyon Jenkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Rabbit production (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL