The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Help!,getting a webside. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
I would love to have my own webside,but I have not clue how to do that,any help and advice it is soo much apprecciate it.

peace.

Mano.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
You will need someone to HOST the site.
A Google search for 'web site hosting' will get a lot of possibilities.
A Google for 'web host reviews' may help narrow your choices down.
Most hosts, if not all, will register a DOMAIN NAME like 'MagicMano.com' for you as well.
You will have to decide what you want on the site.
The more features you want the more you pay.
If you want to upload videos get a lot of disk space.

Many sites offer site templates you can use.
If you want a more unique site you may need a webmaster to design it.

Also, there is both UNIX and WINDOWS type hosting.
For me, UNIX has been fine.

Good luck,
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Hi Jaz,

Thanks soo much for all that info, now I'm gonna do the homework to figure out which way I'll take.

thanks again Jazz.

be well.

Mano.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've been with a number of web hosting companies. In fact, I am a reseller for one that is fairly inexpensive. So, let me give you a couple of hints.

1) It doesn't make any practical difference to you whether the server is Windows based or UNIX based. The files are read the same way on both systems.

2) There are some really competitive prices on web hosting. Look for features. Look for 24/7 live tech support. Look for high bandwidth. And look for a lot of web space, as well as multiple domain hosting capability.

The people I am with right now give you UNLIMITED bandwidth and UNLIMITED server space for $6.95 a month if you purchase for two years in advance. I moved the cups and balls museum over to their servers about a year ago, and have had no problems with anything on the site. The other server I was on, which is the one I resell, had horrible problems. I ran out of bandwidth very quickly.

These people I am with now are also availble for live tech support 24/7, both on the phone and by live chat.

If you want to know more, send me a PM.

They also have lots of templates, and other features that are very wonderful.

BTW, one suggestion that most people ignore, but it makes a difference. Don't have a flash presentation on your first page. The major search engines ignore flash players. Also, avoid having a lot of graphics on your index page, as well as frames on your index page. The frames confuse the searchbots. Intense graphics on your index page will slow down the loading of your index page, and some of your potential visitors will leave...

If you have a simple graphic, no more than about 15 K - 50 K, that tells who you are, with a "click to enter" button, you will get more people to stay on through the loading of your initial active page.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Hey Mano, I'm a web and applications developer for a marketing and ad agency. send me a Pm and ill hook you up with free hosting. If you can do any graphic design ill even code your pages for ya.

you will have have to buy your domain though it cost about 10 - 15 bucks a year.

domain = themagiccafe.com for example
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you use the web host I use, they will give you a free domain!!!!

It's a good idea to get someone to help you, though. If you just use a template, you might end up with something that has a lot of irrelevant material on the index page.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
244 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Mano:

It depends on what you want to do...

A promotional website? (Website as a brochure) A few simple static pages will do.

You want to write regularly about magic? (a WebLog of Blog) You can install WordPress or any number of free Blog systems.

Do you want to sell stuff (Website as store). You might want to learn a little PHP/MySQL programming.

Like magic, start simply.

Best Regards,
Tom
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
If you need any help with graphics for the page or flash introductions I have a new website which could help!

http://www.mmagic.net

Good luck dude! Smile
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
WOW,

Bill,Joshua,Tom and Mason;thanks soo much for your post,offering and advice,you had made my day. I have been really down these past weeks because I am stuck with my magic, and yesterday the person that was writting a manuscript for me backed off on it.

You guys had brought me up with your post I honestly thank you all.

Bill,
That sounds great,i'm gonna pm you when I come back from work,thanks again Bill.

Joshua,
It is nice to see you and thanks for your offering,i will pm tonite.

Tom,as you mentioned,i want something simple where I can sell some stuff like downloads etc,thanks again man.

Mason,
Thanks for the link,it is very much what I want very simple.

Be well everyone and thanks again.

Mano.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Help!,getting a webside. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL