The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
You will never believe this I don't even know how this could happen,

I lost my set of Tarbell books. Every volume have no idea where it is. I moved twice this year and just cant find it. I think my ex fiance might have thrown it out or something because its just not around.

Is it available in EBook format? Searchable and what not? That would be awesome.

Also another quick question, I remember someone telling me that the Tarbell books were going to be the Houdini course in magic? Does anyone have the history of the Tarbell set?

Thanks

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
bugula
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bugula
I believe this is the whole set:

http://www.lybrary.com/tarbell-course-p-34.html
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
That is depressing.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2342 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
The .pdf file is missing the Harry Lorayne volume I believe.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There are two different versions of the Tarbell course. The PDF version is the original Tarbell course, which was published as a mail order method back during the 1920's.

In roughly 1940, Tarbell sold the rights to the course to Tannen's, who sold the rights to D. Robbins (EZ-Magic) roughly 1980 or so.

Tannen's left out some of the material in the original course, and in some cases, replaced it with other material. The reason for this was that Tannen's did not want to promote any proprietary magic, and some times the owners of various proprietary pieces did not want Tannen's to sell the secrets.

The original course did not have as much material as the 8 total volumes that are now published by Robbins. It was also presented in a different order than the Tannen's/Robbins version.

Volume 7 consists of some material from the original course and a LOT of new material. WHen you look at some of the names involved you will realize this. For example, David Kotkin -- that's David Copperfield.

Volume 8, which was written by Steve Burton, attempts to put the old material back into the course. There are also three additional books by Steve, The Tarbell Companion, The Tarbell Study Guide, and [
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Somehow this post got truncated.

I'll continue it:

Volume 8, which was written by Steve Burton, attempts to put the old material back into the course. Tehre are also three additonal books by Steve, The Tarbell Companion, The Tarbell Study Guide, and The Tarbell Volume 8 Notebook. Each of these adds something that is helpful in its own way.

If you wish to get a lot of information, you can save a few bucks by getting the PDF file, which is a legal file, BTW, because the copyright expired on the original course. Then get Volumes 7 and 8 (8 has some additional material that was not part of the course) and the three study guides.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8556 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Bill: The only original material in the Tarbell book I wrote (Vol. 7)was some of the illusion stuff, which Lou Tannen had and gave me. Just about everything else was stuff I got from friends and stuff that was sent to me when Lou Tannen advertised that I was writing the book and that I'd look at material, etc.

David showed me a trick with a pen. When I said I'd consider it for Tarbell #7 he said, "Oh, Mr. Lorayne, if you use it, I promise, if I ever make it, I'll give you ten percent of what I earn!" The former happened (he made it), I'm still waiting for the latter!" HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Somehow I think he can afford it Harry. Great story - thanks for sharing.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
That is a great story. Have you ran into him since he made it? I wonder if he remembers. His trick had a pen and 3 different sets of lines I II III, right? I still cant believe I lost my entire tarbell set, well I bought the PDFs. About the history though I heard (Maybe this is a rumor) That in the 20's the mail order set was doing to be by Houdini and for some reason he pulled his name off of it?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Set (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL