We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Food for thought (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
From "Our Magic"

"the first principle set down is that of Loading. Interposition, of course, is the direct antithesis of Concealment. It has to do with the bringing into play something not employed previously; whereas Concealment indicates the putting away of things already at hand. The principle of Loading is eminently characteristic of its group. It is the most direct and most obvious method of bringing new material into a magical experiment. To quote examples in this instance would be superfluous. Even those who have but a nodding acquaintance with the principles of magic, must well understand the nature of this particular item in our catalogue. To prevent misunderstanding, however, we may point out that the process of loading consists in transferring a load from its hiding-place to the receptacle from which the contents of the load are to be produced. It does not consist in placing a load in a place where it can be got at when the time comes for loading it into the receptacle intended for it. A process of the latter type comes under the heading of Disposition. It is just as well to make this point clear, as there appears to be a certain amount of confusion about it. A performer may, sometimes, find it convenient to say that a chair, for instance, has been loaded, when he means that a load has been set behind a chair, ready for loading"

The point I'm trying to make

It's critical!!!!!! to read, to develop as a performer and person

You'll never achieve your full potential without it
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
661 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I want this book so bad! I can't find it anywhere Smile I've looked and looked. I really want to read this!

-DJ
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I believe Maskelyne wrote the first half of the book which dealt with the Art in Magic. This was the part of the book I thoroughly enjoyed. In contrast, Devant wrote the second half of the book which dealt mainly with tricks and methodology. It's an interesting contrast in approaches between the two performers.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 12:02, Vick wrote:
From "Our Magic"

"the first principle set down is that of Loading. Interposition, of course, is the direct antithesis of Concealment. It has to do with the bringing into play something not employed previously; whereas Concealment indicates the putting away of things already at hand. The principle of Loading is eminently characteristic of its group. It is the most direct and most obvious method of bringing new material into a magical experiment. To quote examples in this instance would be superfluous. Even those who have but a nodding acquaintance with the principles of magic, must well understand the nature of this particular item in our catalogue. To prevent misunderstanding, however, we may point out that the process of loading consists in transferring a load from its hiding-place to the receptacle from which the contents of the load are to be produced. It does not consist in placing a load in a place where it can be got at when the time comes for loading it into the receptacle intended for it. A process of the latter type comes under the heading of Disposition. It is just as well to make this point clear, as there appears to be a certain amount of confusion about it. A performer may, sometimes, find it convenient to say that a chair, for instance, has been loaded, when he means that a load has been set behind a chair, ready for loading"

The point I'm trying to make

It's critical!!!!!! to read, to develop as a performer and person

You'll never achieve your full potential without it

This is covered even better for modern magicians by Fitzkee in Magic by Misdirection. He goes into the theatrical mechanics and physical mechanics of simulation, dissimulation and natural movement.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't fry me... But I don't believe in all the theoretical writing by magic authors, especially Fitzkee. I think you either "have it" or "don't" - sort of intuitively. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Fitzkee's analysis is good. His performance may have been rotten, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Quote:
On 2008-06-15 13:35, Pete Biro wrote:
Don't fry me... But I don't believe in all the theoretical writing by magic authors, especially Fitzkee. I think you either "have it" or "don't" - sort of intuitively. Smile

I am with you, Pete. But, it could be that magicians of our age have casually absorbed enough theoretical nuggets over the decades that it just seems intuitive. BTW, my birthday is also June 1...I just turned 71.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Um ... gentlemen you may be missing the point I'm trying to make by comparing or contrasting "Our Magic" to the Fitzkie trilogy

That is to share with our friends who don't "get it"

READ BOOKS!!!!!!

READ BOOKS!!!!!!

READ BOOKS!!!!!!

READ BOOKS!!!!!!

READ BOOKS!!!!!!

Thank you,

this message brought to you by the "Society for the betterment of performing arts"

djkuttdecks I had to buy it on line in a download and print it, sorry I can't recall when
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
"A book is a lovely thing, a garden stocked with beautiful flowers, a magic carpet on which to fly away to unknown climes."

Sydney Greenstreet. The Mask of Dinitrios.

Should a magician read, books on magic or magical books or just....read books!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Our Magic and Higher Magic are fantastic books written about performance.
There are some modern ones but I also do not like the Fitzke books as much as Higher Magic and Our Magic.
There is nothing like the feel of an old book in your hands to read, enjoy and learn from.
Mobius
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
'A book tightly shut is but a block of paper.' - Chinese Proverb
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
"Intuition" means you don't fully understand what's happening.

Not a bad thing - just incomplete.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Intuition is Like... the Logical version of .. getting from Point A, to Point B, without traversing the space between....sort of magical in and of itself. But.. I understand your point.

It gets you where you wanna go, but does not show you how or why you are there. There is knowledge without understanding. Who is to say that the knowledge is true knowledge if there is no understanding or proof?

I do not trust intuition. It's Like thinking and believing that the rickety bridge over the deep chasm, can hold my weight.... I can just take a huge leap of faith...or test the wood slat by putting half the weight of my foot.

Intuition sounds too much like jumping with Both feet and taking it on faith...Hoping the wood slat does not break... sometimes the wood slats break...
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27164 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Clarissa - I was trying to suggest something about teaching - that intuition is fine to claim for oneself yet useless to students who need a path to develop the knowledge and skills to do a thing and a way to test their attempts.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Yup... I agree. I need to see the path, I need to test the strength of the slats on the bridge. Just because Jo Schmo got from Point A to point B, does not mean I understand the path between without seeing it and testing it.

Some People get it, some people do not. Some people may have been so long at Point B, they forgot the way...

I need to find the way... * looking for the footprints of those that came before her...spying the dim light of her destination, hearing the revelry of those that came before that proclaim there is a path to her destination... and yet....still needs to find the path for herself... *
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Books for me, too, thank you. I guess it is the way I started that makes the difference for me. Waaaay back in the early 80's, DVD, CD, etc. were still in the planning stages. Books, pamphlets, and the written word were all I had.

I've always marveled at how much information could be packed into a page's worth of writing. It takes me about five minutes a page when reading Our Magic, and that's only because I need to digest everything I've read to be able to continue.

Back in the olden days, I didn't have easy access to video cameras, either. They were huge, bulky, VERY costly, and required a lot of extra lighting. All these limits combined to make video taping routines to study as practice very labor intensive (kinda like reading this darn sentence.) I relied heavily on one or two trusted individuals to assess my work and give direction. Since then, I use a video camera to practice, and it is as easy as frozen lemonade to transfer images to the laptop for analysis and review.

With all that said, and even though we've made some pretty spiffy technological advances in the last quarter century, when I seek information, books are still my starting point. And as long as they exist, they always will be.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
In the past those who lived in areas where they had access to live - for want of a better word - magicians, whether it be performance, lectures, active clubs, or a local magic shop. Principles and theories were always knocked around. Even Vernon wore out his copy of The Expert At The Card Table; which is packed with little gems.
Today theory, advice, opinion, & knowledge are only a click away. Yet (shocker), some still have no idea what they're up to. I agree with Pete. If one cannot bring magic to life ... what use is a corpse?
POOF!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I can easily read a page a minute with good comprehension, so I can read 60 pages in the time it takes to watch a DVD. That DVD can only cover a single topic in some detail in that time, or can skim over several. 60 pages can be four or more chapters in a book, with that many different topics covered in detail.

Not only that, when it comes time to research or review, I can quickly and easily find a subject in a book, and can skim it quickly to get the information I need. You can't do that with a DVD.

So books are not only more enjoyable for me, but they are much more efficient.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Without consensus on terminology, communication is farblegleebon!

Maskelyne realized that.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16276 Posts

Profile of tommy
I quite like PDF books, but some of them now you can’t add notes to them, because of a security thing, that was one thing I did like about them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Food for thought (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL