The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Neoprene close-up pads (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
A few years ago, I found some very nice pads at Earl Chaney's Planet Mirth shop in Vegas. They were very durable Neoprene. No wrinkles, and as tough as nails. It also seemed like they would not attract hair, lint etc. like most pads do. Like a moron, I did not pick one up and now Earl's shop is gone. There are some similar pads on eBay now and the seller says they are from Magic Makers which does not excite me. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Posted: Jun 16, 2008 3:44am
Or, has anyone seen Shoot's new pads? Are they made of neoprene?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've seen those Magic Makers pads, and I don't believe they are neoprene. I think those pads you recall from Earl's shop were made from a fabric that was used to make wetsuits. I don't know where you would get it, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
674 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I have an old one I bought years ago. I believe it was put out or endorsed by Tom Mullica. Maybe it was called the Mullica Pad...for use in a bar.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Neoprene is what is used to make wetsuits and yes they were great pads because they were tough and durable.
I don't thubk anyone is making them now.
Mobius
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
You're right Bill, Earl did say it was wetsuit material. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The wetsuit outfits are in Redondo Beach and/or Huntington Beach, Calif. And I think the magic shop guys just bought fabric from them. Email Dean Dill, at intmiracle@deandill.com and see if he makes any.

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 12:09am
OK, here you dope... three seconds on GOOGLE AND...

http://www.foamorder.com/neoprene.html?g......odmCjbVw
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Biro -- you are GOOD!!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Pete's the man! But holy cow I'd have to buy a lot. I really don't think I wanna get into the close-up pad business. (But, gimme a day or so to think.)
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
The price isn't that bad, but I'm concerned about securing the correct thickness so it will actually 'work'. One sheet should last you a long, long time.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
I still have a Mullica pad. It worked wonderfully as a close up pad.

To the best of my ability to measure it, it is 4 mm thick. This is thinner than most any other close up pad I've ever used, but as I said, it worked just fine.
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The biggest pad I have is 4-inches in diamter. a nice little circle for a chop cup. I have one of Don Alan's custom made ones he signed on the back, and Eddie Tullock added his signature. But I don't use it.

I seldom use a pad. For certain things I use a Tabman Erdnase Train table.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Pepka...

Try the Trevor Duffy Mat! http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/the-magic-......141.html
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Chris, you're a genius. That's it! I'm hoping to find them bigger, but their large size will do for now. I owe you one!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Cool! I'll send you my bill!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I don't know what this is made of but it seems like it may work for what you are looking for.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=SA1039

Shawn
Shawn.
alabau
View Profile
New user
Florida
23 Posts

Profile of alabau
I have two Tough Pads from The Magic Warehouse and they are indeed tough as nails. The material seems to be the same material used for wet-suits. I have been using the pad for about a year now and it's taken all the abuse you can imagine.

Frank
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
That Tough Pad looks interesting, I may give it a try.

Is the surface smooth and slick, or is there some texture to it? I do a Ribbon Spread as part of a Svengali Pitch, and need a surface that has a little roughness to it, so the cards don't slide around and the key cards will stay put.

I have been using a bound carpet square (it's actually an automobile floor mat, I think) as a demo pad for the past few years. It works great, but I'm always on the lookout for a good upgrade! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I bought the Mikame "Table Hopper's Dreame Table Top from Fun Tyme Magic when they did a close out for about $142. The pad is Fabulous! when I want a longer one I use the "Super Classy Close-up mat Ronjo sells for about $50. This mat is really tough & thick, as well as large, which is why I wanted it. (34" long, cut in a semi-circle) BTW, Peter Albertson, the owner, is tops in my book. A while back I had a problem & he ironed it out for me without any hesitation at all!
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Quote:
On 2008-06-17 22:55, Sir Richard wrote:
.. BTW, Peter Albertson, the owner, is tops in my book. A while back I had a problem & he ironed it out for me without any hesitation at all!

I second that.

Jeff
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One of my favorites is a piece of automobile headliner. It has foam on the back and a surface like billiard cloth, sort of. You can get it in many different colors.

When I do the chop cup in the hospitals, I go from room to room with one of these pads, about 6 inches by 9 inches, that I fold into quarters and place into my jacket pocket. In a matter of a few seconds it lies flat on the table.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Neoprene close-up pads (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL