We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vivisectioned - Mark Parker 2008 Series Illusion #1 (Review Dux) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
Half Moon Bay, California
1369 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Vivisectioned - Mark Parker 2008 Series Illusion #1

Forward:

I literally downloaded and printed this thing out last night. I'm always excited to get a new Parker product as soon as I can get my hands on it. I emailed the poor guy a few times just to be sure I'd be on the list for his
Latest creation. Unlike some others, I was able to view the final product when it was released. I was happy to
see updated copyright disclaimers. Typically with illusion books the message on such things are not all that great. Parker takes care of this eloquently & in perfect wording, one is very clear on the copyrights for the book and what they CAN and CANNOT do with the props fabrication. There is no question here. Should be a good motivator for keeping the honest honest.

A Risky Move:

I've always toyed with doing a PDF download but have been scared of repercussions of digital transfers of reading materials through circles of file sharing & the internet. There have been a few individuals I've seen doing these digital downloads. Mark Parker, Stolz, and a site where there are many books you can download.
I guess for shorter manuscripts, I'm feeling more and more the convenience of getting a pdf download as opposed to waiting for it in the mail speaks for itself. Even with physical books they can be scanned and shared digitally. One needs to have faith people are going to be honest, and with the others, its just part of the deal. I'm glad Mark chose this route.

Introduction:

Mark makes no excuses about this thing being "new" or groundbreaking. He's honest and direct about the fact that this thing is a different take on the original Massey/Thurston piece. I found this refreshing, as usually designers like to stage this thing is brand new and original. I for one was fascinated with the history of Mark's approach, as well as its new beginnings. Mark's very very clear the manuscript is not a detailed workshop plan but an insight to his thoughts on the illusion, and its potential for something new. He includes brief history on
the original illusion, and basic patent information.

The Effect:

The effect is described brilliantly, and with complete description. Makes it easy to understand, and envision onstage.

Method:

There are over seven pages detailing the apparatus, principle and thoughts on method. Its very clear, meticulously though on and laid out for the reader in typical Parker fashion. Another reason why anything
this guy puts out is essential to any illusion designer, Builder, performer or enthusiast. The designs are drawn/computer assisted in a 2.1 -D fashion. I felt it was complete and totally easy to grasp and wrap your mind around the workings. Very well done.

Also mentioned is some detail on the assistant's role in the magic, and some thoughts on movement and position. Which is really nice for detail on placement. I feel this section will be helpful when finally realizing the real deal if and when one builds it.

The Apparatus:

A section detailing the prop itself, what goes where what is moving what is not , another greatly detailed area in typical Parker fashion which will be really useful for the builder. There is another area on notes for power & Illumination / Lighting for the prop. I thought was a fantastic addition to the manuscript.

Thank You Area:

As always Mark remembers his supporters, and people who assisted in the production of the manuscript and thought process, showing Mark's supportive nature and his kindness & willingness to reach out during project phase which I feel is important during R&D of any material. He's a pro. And it shows. .

Final Notes & Build Suggestions

Mark makes some fantastic final thoughts, as if he were speaking directly to you, he really wants this thing to work out for you, he wants it to be built in its splendor and wants to arm you with all he can to make it a successful experience for you. Definitely one of the most complete and detailed illusion manuscripts I've seen.
His ability to leave the obscure out and leaving the detail IN THE PIECE is fantastic. And leaves me feeling totally fulfilled and without wanting.

Conclusion and score

Its hard to score something like this so I'm not going to do it. I will say that this is an essential piece for anyone serious about seeing an evolution of a classic piece detailed to perfection, and laid out to perfection.
Marks generosity bleeds off of the page, as he's totally willing to share his heart and mind and approach as
a pro illusioneer. I for one think the price is nothing compared to the pages it contains. One MUST have
this as part of the collection. A fantastic read, and perfect addition to my library.

~Ryan C. Reed 6/16/08

Price: $25 USD
Format: PDF Download
Size: 7.0 Megs

http://www.4-effect.com/main_home.htm
4e website is in the process of being updated and the new download section will be live then.
Until it goes live the manuscript file is available only via email Uk/Eu residents £15 rest of the world $25 paypal to markparker1@mac.com
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder & CEO
Illusion Entertainment &
Half Moon Bay Studios

Half Moon Bay, California USA

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer, dream architect, collaborator & seeker of love.

Member: SAM, IBM, The Magic Circle UK,

Social Accounts
Instagram
IMDB
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4891 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Where the magic begins
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Ryan thanks for the great review. Geez, "Vivisectioned" is really one awful name!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Vivisectioned - Mark Parker 2008 Series Illusion #1 (Review Dux) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL