The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Curtis Kam's Palms of steel 4: Cashablanca (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2008-07-29 18:15, doug brewer wrote:
This would be a much better DVD if every routine ended with a jumbo coin.

Obviously you haven't found the Easter Eggs yet. Not only does Curtis show you how to end each trick with a jumbo coin...he teaches you the presentation in 4 different languages!!!

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
For those of you who found the Easter Eggs, but don't speak French, here's the translation of the presentation:

"Here's yer jumbo coin, now kiss my hairy ***!"

Pardon my French.

Merde!

Curtis
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Smile - now that was funny Smile
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
All I can say is WOW, Curtis has tipped more of his amazing coin work. All of the routines on the DVD are excellent,I learned a lot of new coin work that I didn't know about. Curtis breaks down all the sleights & subtleties that make these routines flow so beautifully.

Between the excellent production values & what Curtis is sharing, this is a definite must have for all you coin guys out there.I also really liked the bonus effect by Reed McClintock, more very clever thinking!

I give this DVD-
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Mike
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just got the Cashablanca DVD. A friend told me not to read the box, just put it on and go to "Cashablanca Coins Across" and see if I can catch what gaff is being used and then to call him.

At first I thought it was a shell. I watched it again and it was a shell and a flipper. Very nice use of the gaffs to create a beautiful coins across. I just have a little bit of experience with these gaffs, so I figured it out ( my friend didn't think I'd catch the second gaff ).

I called my friend and told him what it was. He laughed and kept laughing.

IT USED NO GAFFS! It's 3 silver dollars and some of the most beautiful coin moves I've ever seen ( or not seen ).

I'm a huge Curtis Kam fan and I know I'll enjoy the rest of the DVD, but this was worth the price of the DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
This team of coin men is really out of this world.
The work is so great. so practical... and definitely worth the initial effort (if this is your first getting into this type of technique): after that, your hands are broken in, and you start looking forward for their next DVD, tryng in the meantime to figure out variants or effects by yourself.
So far they always beated me hands down to it (and I'm neitehr a beginner nor having creativity problems)
With their previous appearances Curtis had set our expectations high... and with his 'colleague in crime' he just moved them up one more step.
Congratulations
Anybody doing coins should have this DVD (and the previous ones)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thank you guys, I'm happy you're liking this disc, and I have to admit that I rather like that coins across myself. In fact, it's the one I still do, with a few changes.

What changes?

Well, as I may have mentioned a time or two here at the Café, I've written up the latest version of that Coins Across, and the routine, Gateway to Chinatown is included as a free gift (which is the best sort of gift) to anyone who purchases the DVD directly from me. Just drop by http://www.ckhmagic.com if you're interested.

Oh, and since my last post, I should tell you that my jumbo coin and I have made up, and I've decided that there is a place in my act for the big fella. He's a Chinese jumbo, though, the jumbo U.S. coins still look too much like novelty coins. Not that anyone cares...
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Gateway to Chinatown? Curtis, you've been holding out on me again! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Wow. Just wow. I don't know if I'm ever going to have the nerve to actually do much of this (the coins across DOES look possible even for my ham-fisted mitts) but it was a lot of fun just to sit and watch. The 7-coin production may be something I only ever do for myself, but if I ever master it, I'll have a major sense of accomplishment. (And something to show St. Peter while I'm waiting at the Gate!)

I was very impressed with the technical aspects as well. The graphics and other things not actually involved with the magic itself were very easy to watch.

I was also impressed with Mr. Kam's casual, but apparently complete crediting of exactly where each move originated.

Two points.

One, why does the music between sequences have to be so LOUD?

Two, the box art makes a big deal of the lack of "gaffed" coins, but two of the routines DO require gaffs. I'm not in a position to pass judgement, but it did strike me as odd.

I'm a big fan of cheesy lines; "We'll just pass this coin through the trap door in the back of your hand. You do have a trap door in the back of your hand, right? Oh yeah, like I'M the only freak!"

(Less of a point and more of a question, were there a couple of "jump cuts" there or are my eyes starting to do that "flick" thing again?)

Haven't watched the out-takes yet (my kid wanted the TV for his "X-box" time! *sigh*)

All in all, I'm going to learn some of this if it KILLS me! (See the above reference to St. Peter!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-07-12 22:09, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Play it again Kam!!

Great line for Curtis last title. Loved it!
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey folks, for those of you who are still deciding whether or not you want to purchase Palms 4, Shane has just written an indepth review over at Online-Visions. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Giacomo
View Profile
Regular user
Florence (Italy)
112 Posts

Profile of Giacomo
Curtis, congratulations for your DVD!
I appreciated it very much, and you perform with silver dollar size! Your work this way is more difficult but visible and intelligible for the audience….. for almost two years I have been going in the same direction!
I like very much the “Cashablanca Coins Across”, and above all the pass of the last coin is very good!...Magic and surprising at the same time!

Giacomo
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
Just like to say this is an excellent DVD, it is well produced and the quality is very good indeed.

My favourite routine by far is Curtis' "CASHABLANCA COINS ACROSS". I do have my own coins across just using 3 coins but I have been practising this one as there are some really nice subtlety's used.

I would say it is not that hard to do but you obviously need to know your basic coin sleights, Curtis does a really good job at explaining each step thoroughly which makes each phase very easy to follow.

For me this routine alone is worth the price of the DVD. Once you see it you will try it.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Are there any demo videos available? I went to a link but it was a teaser video on youtube with no actual routine demo'd.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Wow, thank you all for your kind comments. As much as I enjoy hearing that you're finding the material interesting and useful, I have to admit that I haven't been back to check this thread recently. My apologies for the belated nature of these responses:

Giacomo, it is very good to hear from you, my friend, and to hear that you are working with larger coins. When I used to work with halves, people would say to me afterwards, "Do that trick you did with the quarters". I realized they were remembering the magic that way, because the halves looked insignificant in my hands. When a larger coin appeared, I got much better reactions. I know you will, too, and more people will be able to see your magic.

Ed, keep working on "7 the Hard Way". It's a great opener for tough crowds. When I'm asked to perform in a dimly-lit bar, and I want to make sure even the drunkest person in the room will understand that there's magic going on, that's the trick I do. Here's a hint: For those situations, have a handkerchief with you, and have two people hold the hank out in front of you, like a safety net. Then do "7" and end by letting the coins shower down into the "net". This is the ideal way to end, since it's noisy, makes the load of coins seem larger and more unmanageable, and the staging (with two people holding the hank out in front of you) draws the attention of everyone in the room.

Lawrence, thank you for pointing out that it's a team effort, I really should emphasize that more. The Café's own Reed McClintock is on here, and although I don't think he's on screen, Kainoa Harbottle always has a lot to do with how the magic ends up looking.

For questions about trailers, demos, and video production, I refer you to Steve "The Baker" Brooks, the guy who gathered the team for this "impossible mission" and the team member responsible for bringing this material to you on video.

Aloha,

Curtis
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Curtis Kam's Palms of steel 4: Cashablanca (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL