The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » 45-degree overhead display mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
In thinking about ways to increase the visibility of my Svengali Pitch, I remembered a knife pitch that had an overhead mirror positioned at a 45-degree angle over the demo, so that people could watch that even if they couldn't see the demo itself.

Has anyone ever used an overhead mirror in this fashion, and has anyone ever tried to make one? Seems like it wouldn't be too hard, using acrylic mirror tiles or something similar on a thin plywood base. (I think glass would be too heavy and too dangerous to carry around). SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

I have seen this before on a Svengali joint.It looked good and I even thought about putting one up but I got too lazy to do it.

I would use a a long narrow one you put on a closet door.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don, I was thinking that even though my pitch table is 4 feet long, the actual demo space is only about half of that. So I don't think I need a real long mirror. But your idea of a "closet door" type mirror is very good, it might save a lot of messing around, and would probably be safer and look nicer in the end.

I'll have to go to Kmart or Home Depot (my favorite magic supply store) and see what they have laying around.

If I'm using my tent, I could just hang it by hooks from the top supports. Otherwise I guess it would have to be supported from below somehow. Time to get that conduit and the pipe cutter!

Now I also remember there was a great VitaMix (blender) pitch that used one of these mirrors, so everyone could see how quickly and how well the blender mixed everything. People would stand and watch for 20-30 minutes while the pitchman threw celery, beets, apples, ice cubes and who knows what else in the blender, just to get a little sample to taste! SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Using a mirror for the Svengali pitch over your table I think is more flash than anything.The tip will thing you can't cheat if there is a mirror over the table. Frank Garcia used one with his " Million dollar hands" Demo.

Don
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
You'd have to sell allot of cards but check this out.

http://stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=10390

I'm not affiliated with them I just wanted to share. It's wicked but for 11 grand it better be.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
WOW!! That's awesome! I just bought 5 of em'! >wink<

Seriously...that set up looks very nice! Sadly...I'm a tad short...and I don't have enough money either! = )
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
About Five years ago I had to cart a mirror around to different farmers markets in Phoenix. I worked for a lighting company and we had one, it was called a chefs mirror and it was used over the chefs cutting station. It was made out of real glass and the mirror was attached to a small box that had a pipe all the way through it. It was about six feet long by a foot and a half wide. The box was only about four inches thick. You might do a search for chefs mirrors in google. Ours was on an adjustable stand that had wheels, it was easy to cart around but then again I had a twenty four foot box truck with an eight foot lift.

Hope this gives you some ideas,
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1045 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
If you decide to go with an overhead mirror, PLEASE secure it very well especially on windy days.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I did find a decent 50" plastic wall mirror at Home Depot for $15, which would have been safe and light to work with.

Ultimately I decided against using it for a couple of reasons, primarily because of angles. Although the overhead view was OK for a Svengali Pitch, it might have been problematic for a Cups & Balls routine, which I also demo and sell.

But if I ever do the Svengali Deck alone or sell Ginzu knifes, I'll definitely consider using it, I think it could only help! SETH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » 45-degree overhead display mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL