The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Coin ladders? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
What are your thoughts od coin ladders? I do misers dream but coin ladders look pretty cool?

kyle
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One major difference between the two is the nice chime sound each coin delivers when coming down the rung/step. Some magicians do not like the coin ladder because it is too big or takes away the magic. It depends on which one you purchase and how you perform it.

I use the one from Abbott's at times. I am able to walk around with it like a Miser's Dream pail.

If you have music playing during your act the Coin Ladder is heard less or not at all.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I also use the Abbott's Coin Ladder from time to time and it's a nice prop. There are larger models out there (Owen, Proline, etc), but this one is still a good prop. One thing we have done in the past, to amplify the sound of the coins dropping has been to install a small microphone near the prop. It works well.
simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Don't Collectors have one?
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Best one I have seen (and own) is Chance Wolf's Classic Coin Ladder...gorgeous! Only 20 ever made.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
How much did Chance Wolf's sell for?
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Rechecked and only 12 were made. I seem to recall it sold for about $3000.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you.
mydogripper
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
182 Posts

Profile of mydogripper
I own CW's Ultimate Coin Ladder... Incredible prop if you have never seen the last coin come up the ladder... and "jump" out into your hands!
http://www.MerrittAmbrose.com
2011 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
My thoughts on coin ladders: It is a good effect to do after the Misers Dream routine as a finale.
The best one should be very audible and the coins must be visually seen to drop from the glass or metal sheet to the goblet. I presume that metal sheets makes more noise than glass. What do you think?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
Yes, the one that Chance made IS very nice! A very classy and classic looking design and obviously, very well made!
jErMZ
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of jErMZ
I'm sorry, Chance? pls enlighten me. I own a coin ladder as well. bought from a old magic shop in my area. its made of wood and the coin would roll in a zig zag fashion from side to side. the problem I have with it is its climax. I really dunnoe how to end a coin ladder routine.. haha. any help??
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I used a Viking coin ladder one year as a prop in the Gala show at the Texas Renaissance Festival. It was the Silver Anniversary of the Festival, so I used it with a Miser's Dream routine.

I had soft live music from a hammered dulcimer player and an autoharp going while I did the routine. They knew how to control the volume.

I started with a fairly standard Miser's Dream, including pulling coins from beards, noses, etc, then explained that it was too difficult for people in the back to see the coins, so I used the ladder so they could HEAR them.

I wheeled the coin ladder to center stage, and started into a standard coin ladder routine. At one point, I had a delayed drop on a coin, so I could toss it into the air, follow its imaginary path, and it would cascade down the ladder.

I ended with the following sequence. Shower of coins down the ladder (built into the Viking prop), production of one coin, slightly larger than a silver dollar (actually a mylar coil!), which I proceeded to develop into a cascade of silver. I gathered that up and produced a 7 inch coin from the mylar foil.

It was a very logical way to end the routine, and it brought the audience to it's feet!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Thanks for the kind words folks!
Follow this link for info on my Classic Coin ladder.
http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Classic_Coin_Ladder.htm
Here is the basic routine with the Finale' ending created by Brian Cook

Routine: The performer begins by approaching the Coin Ladder, pops his Top hat open and sets it upon the Coin ladder. He then producing a Silver Dollar and tosses it into the Top Hat and it is seen to drop through the Hat and begins a tinkling Pachinko style decent down the Pins of the Coin Ladder. The magic continues as the Magi produces Coins throwing them as the invisibly travel across the stage and are seen to appear cascading down the Ladder (Downs Palm move required. Up to 10 Coins can be magically produced) , suddenly ONE COIN STOPS IN ITS PATH. The Magi pauses, approaches the Coin Ladder, plucks the coin from the surface and examines the coin. He pulls and tugs a gooey piece of Pink Gum (actually a pink knotted balloon) off the back of the Coin, pops the gum behind his ear and send the Coin on the rest of it's journey! The Magi finally depletes his Coins and is left empty handed. He approaches the Coin Ladder, removes the Glass from the holder, flips it upside down, and a flurry of shimmering Confetti flows to the ground showing ALL THE COINS HAVE VANISHED as he plucks a JUMBO COIN from the glitter putting a sweet ending to the classic effect!
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Coin ladders? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL