The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Boy! I bombed Big Time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
One of my biggest passions is to open a magical establishment featuring large illusions and other variety entertainers, including other magicians and illusionists.
I spent the last year in a university creating a viable business plan. The professors all agreed that this plan would work, especially since there is a suitable theatre up for sale here in my city.
After a lot of work, I managed to get myself and a few others on a national television program here in Canada. This program is for entrepreneurs to say their business concept in front of 5 billionaire investors. If they like the pitch, they will invest into the company to get it off the ground.
I was so happy to hear that they accepted my audition and would allow me to appear on the show.
I created a wonderful pitch: involving my accountant, my lady assistant, 1 stage hand and one other magician (who has been my best friend for the last 10 years.
The pitch would include illusions while one magician is talking the other is performing magic and visa versa.
We spent 6 weeks rehearsing and all looked good.
After a 20 hour drive, we each took our hotel room.
When I went to wake the other magician and stage hand the next morning (we had to be at the studio at 8:30 am) I pounded on their hotel room door and after 45 minutes and the hotel manager letting me into their room. I discovered that they were totally drunk and been up all night drinking. They were so hammered that they could not even stand.
I had no choice but to proceed to the studio without them, of course along the way, I got lost in this unfamiliar large city and arrived at the studio late. Fearing a direct image on myself, I told the producer that the other magician was ill and my stage hand took him to a doctor.
Of course I was not 100% percent on the other magician’s lines, his magic, nor did I have the stage hand to help me with the illusions that I had planned.
Arriving late, and assembling some large illusions, the producer hurried the lady assistant, accountant and myself into the studio for the show.
Needles to say I bombed big time.
The investors said that it was the worst pitch they had ever seen.

This fiasco costed me a lot of money (approximately 3 grand) and the network kicked in a grand that I needed to help off set the expenses. If I did not do the show, I would not have been able to cover the expenses home.

After the show, I left the stage hand and other magician in that city, hopefully broke.

This program will be aired nationally in the fall. I just want to burry my head in the sand somewhere.

There goes my biggest break.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Don't feel bad that is all part of the game of showbusiness. We all who made our living doing magic had similar experiences at one time or another. Just keep trying. Mark Wilson had thousands of doors slammed in his face before Magic Land of Alakazam went on the air. Show business is not an easy business, if it were everybody would be stars. It is the folks who learn from the mistakes and come back harder each time that make it.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
Photius-
Thank you very much for the inspiring words. Both Veralyn and I are heart broken. Also, all of our friends who supported us are hurt. Our accountant actually cried after the show. This will be a hard experience to shake, and then we have to go through the experience again when the show is aired in front of the nation this fall.
Neither one of us cares to hold a grudge, but I have no idea how we will ever forgive those who hurt us. Hopefully one day we will overcome.
Thank you.
Best
DF & V
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Wow, that's really terrible. My heart really goes out to the 2 of you. Up until about a year ago My best friend of 20 years was in my show. First we had a big show at a really nice convention center over on the coast. My buddy shows up at the last minute still about half drunk from the night before. He ended up messing up more times than I care to remember. 2 other times he showed up with booze on his breath. Needless to say he was out of the show after that. For the life of me I can't imagine what your friend and stage hand could of been thinking. I sure hope that you 2 get another chance at your dream. Just never give up, you might be in the right place at the right time and things will fall in place.
Take care, Bob.
Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
Dr.Delusion-
Thanks for the well wishes.
It is nice to hear supporting words from fellow magicians. We never have had it easy, it has always been tough just as we are sure we will have many more hurdles in the future. This did take some wind out of our sails and as soon as we heal a bit more, we will get back on the horse.
We have learned many lessons from this experience and will take this as another learning experience.

Thanks again.

Best,
DF & V
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Dear Don

I hope this may help. In the UK we have this programme its called "Dragon's Den" my colleague invented a gadget to stop tables wobbling. His pitch went awful. The "Dragons" told him it was a ridiculous idea, he was practically laughed out of the studio.

He continued with his business venture and now he sells "Stable Table" around to schools and other venues. He's a pretty cool success frequently doing TV and press interviews.

When your university lecturer saw your business plan he said it would work. Therefore, though not as sweet as getting money from a TV show, can't you get a business loan? A bank will see your business direction as did your lecturer.

Ignore the airing on TV. Many of the UK pitchers get laughed out. Its a risk you take for starring. Who knows the publicity still may trigger interest from other investors you never know.

I hope this helps.

M
Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
Mary Jane-

Thank you for the response.
The show that we appeared on here in Canada is also known as” The Dragons Den”.
I am happy to hear that your friend overcame the negativity that he went through.
To answer your question as to why we don’t approach a bank for a business loan:
We already have, and the reason why we were denied was: here in Nova Scotia, Canada, if your business establishment servers any alcoholic beverages, no grants or loans are allowed. This is a mandate put out by the government. Officials have told me this mandate is in effect to cover their backs in case the business ever has any problems relating to alcohol. Off the record (example was said to me): if the business ever decided to turn into a wild biker bar of sorts, the government would not care to be affiliated as to helping the business open.
Of course, we have no intentions of that ever happening. Our intentions are to make this establishment into a family live entertainment theatre. Because of reality, and making the theatre an enjoyably place for the public: we feel that if the parents would like to enjoy a glass of wine while the kids are having supper and enjoying the show, that this extra benefit would help make the business profitable and viable.
I guess that I spent too much time in Las Vegas when I was a child. My parents took me too many first class shows while on vacation, and from that experience, this is the type of live entertainment theatre that we wish to open. Just selling pop and coffee will not make the business viable. I hope you understand.
As far as the actual show went: the fellow magician that I was to perform with dresses himself in a wizard’s costume. At the shooting, the producers were very anxious for one of us to be in a wizards costume.( I guess it was for rating purposes).The producers were adamant that one of us wore a wizards costume and almost demanded that our accountant put one on. Against my better judgment, and since I wanted to accommodate a major network, my accountant agreed. The dragons made fun of her costume that the network supplied. Once they got into that frame, it totally through the accountant off track. Just to mention my accountants credentials: I met her at an IBM meeting 10 years ago (she is deeply interested in magic since her grandfather was once a well known magician in this province. She is now an auditor for the federal government of Canada.

I feel that there was a lot of talent that got abused by a very bad case of judgment.
I feel bad that I will appear on television not giving our art the proper attention that it deserves. But I feel even worse that my accountant took some heat, and I feel the very most regret when I am approached on the street by children and adults asking me when the theatre is going to open. The public was highly anticipating this entertainment theatre.
There really isn’t much to do for families in this neck of the woods.

If I could change anything it would be me, I wish that I was more of pros to of overcame the obstacle that I was dealt and still blow them away.

Thank you for hearing my thoughts.

Best
DF
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
I am just curious what the stage hand and assistant said to you after you returned home.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The difference between a winner and a loser:

After taking a hit, the loser sits and cries. Then he gives up.

After taking a hit the winner keeps right on going.

Knock 'em dead mate, your not beaten yet...
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
Quote:
On 2008-06-24 12:54, WayneCapps wrote:
I am just curious what the stage hand and assistant said to you after you returned home.

Although the other magician was my best friend for the last 10 years, I have not heard a word from either him or the stage hand.
Don Faith
View Profile
New user
Canada
84 Posts

Profile of Don Faith
Quote:
On 2008-06-24 14:30, Cliffg37 wrote:
The difference between a winner and a loser:

After taking a hit, the loser sits and cries. Then he gives up.

After taking a hit the winner keeps right on going.

Knock 'em dead mate, your not beaten yet...

Thank you,
Veralyn and I appreciate the support from people like you at the Café.
We will continue to move forward and not give up. We will roll with the punches.

Best,

DF & V
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Boy! I bombed Big Time (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL