The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Box For My Chop Cup... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Hello All,
I just finished making a box for my Chop Cup and a Magic Wand. I am enjoying these projects. The next project will be a box for my color changing knives.

Please view pictures at http://www.photobucket.com/BCSDenver .

Thanks,
Bruce
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Absolutely gorgeous Bruce!

rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Very nice Bruce.

Jeff
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
661 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Very cool, good work.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's very nice! I like that black hardware.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Are these pre made unfinished boxes that you are starting with then adding hardware and finish or a pre cut kit? The only reason I ask is that you made it sound as though you don't have a lot of experience in wood work and these are VERY well made! I really like the look of this one!

Mick
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Mick,
From the start, I said that these were boxes that I found at Hobby Lobby. What I have been doing is staining, tweeking the hardware and creating the foam inserts with velvet. I am saving for a table saw and such, so that I can actually make everything myself. I have had a lot of fun making them and learning what works best. I have to admit that they look cool in my office. The hard part has been finding time to work on them.

Thanks to all that have commented positively,
Bruce
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Bruce,
Based on what I see of your finish work I'm betting that you will take to woodworking like a duck to water! Any idea of which table saw you may buy?

Mick
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
You've got another winner there Bruce.
"But there isn't a door"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Mick,
I have no idea; I was probably going to go to Sears and see what they recommended. From what I am finding out, it seems that a cheap table probably will not do me any good... they are not accurate enough for small projects. Do you have any suggestions? My budget is somewhere around $500. As to finish work, I have always liked painting and staining wood. When I was into electric trains, I had more fun painting the scenery and buildings.
Thanks,
Bruce
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tom,
Again thanks for kind words. What kind of cups and wand do you have in your picture?
Thanks,
Bruce
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Bruce,
The one table saw I will strongly suggest you DON'T get is the Ryobi BT 3000! I do like Ryobi products but I own this table saw and it is not as accurate as I'd like or need and it gets out of true quite easy! I do have one of thier Chop saws with the laser feature and am very pleased with it! I do like the old style cast top table saws like we had in HS wood shop and that would be what I might suggest! Delta makes a nice saw in your price range and I have had good experience with Delta products although not thier table saw!
We have some cracker jack craftsmen that frequent the Café so hopefully they will have better advise! I'm in the market for a new table saw as well so I await these suggestions as well!

Mick
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For the budget that you have in mind, the Delta table saw is probably about as accurate as you can get. If you can add another $150, get the Biesemeier Fence.

When you get the saw (no matter what brand it is) move the fence so it right next to one of the miter fence channels. There should be some adjusting screws on the fence that will allow you to make it exactly parallel to the channel. Then put the largest diameter blad your saw will hold onto the shaft, slide the fence over to the blade and tighten the fence down. You will find some kind of arrangement that will allow you to adjust the parallelism of the blade to the fence. This will be underneath the saw table.

Once you have those two alignments made, then your saw will track very well.

Also check out the saws made by Jet.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bruce, the cups are an old set of Uday aluminium cups and the wand is one I had a local woodturner make for me.
The wand is made from purpleheart with yellowheart tips.
Those Uday cups are the first set of cups I owned, I never use them now as they are feel too lightweight.
I now use cups from RNT II, I recommend any of their cups whole-heartedly.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Tom,
Hard to tell from the picture but from what I see the wand looks great. I have Cups and Chop Cups from Johnson, the original RNT (from the 70’s), Ickle Pickle, Morrissey and unknowns (specially made for Tannens?). I really want a set of RNT II. What set do you own or have played with that you would suggest.
Thanks,
Bruce
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

***Also check out the saws made by Jet***

My lathe is a JET and if that is any indicator then their saws should be top notch!
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
Mick & Bill,
Thanks for the table saw advice. I will check into the brands you mentioned.
Thanks,
Bruce
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1471 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bruce,
I have quite a few cups and chop cups from RNT II, to be honest, all of them are good.
I would suggest that you have a look at the website and get the cups you like the look of.
There are also many RNT II cups in Bill Palmer's Cups & Balls Museum. Bill gives the size of final load that fits in the cups there too.
I'm about to go to work now but I'll PM you tonight.

Best,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Very nice work!

Woodworking is the "gateway obsession"... It'll lead to welding, glass blowing, clay sculpting, and even the harder stuff if you aren't careful!

Best of luck!

-Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Box For My Chop Cup... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL