The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music editing software for a dummy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Can anyone recommend some easy-to-use music editing software? I recently purchased "Music Creator 4" and despite going through the tutorials, I can't do a d*** thing with it. If "Playskool" for "Fischer-Price" made music editing software, those would be the kind I need. I'm not trying to do anything fancy, just want to cut and paste segments, fade in and out, etc. Thanks in advance.
"Don't run with those..."
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I use Audacity. It may not be simple enough but it's freeware so you can try it out and see if it works for you:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

They have both Mac and PC versions.

Michael
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I use Sony's Sound Forge Audio Studio 9. While it has some very complex features and capabilities, I find it quite intuitive and easy to use for basic functions like cut and paste, fade in, fade out, looping, removing vocal tracks, etc; It's about $100 so perhaps trying the freeware first to see if it does what you want might prove to be the best option.
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
The easiest software you will ever find is Garage Band, but you'll need to buy a Mac to use it. I've tried several programs for windows and nothing compares to garage band.
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
Michael, you da man.
Audacity was pretty much what I was aiming for, and the price can't be beat. Much thanks.
"Don't run with those..."
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1814 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Glad to be of help!

I found out about Audacity on the Café myself!

Michael
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2135 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Michael, your audacity has proven invaluable...

That didn't come out the way I meant it --what I "meant" to say was,

Your "link" to the Audacity Freeware has proven invaluable , Michael... thanks!!

Even though I am technically challenged, I can now do rough edits. Now I just have to work at (and learn) smooth edits.

Best regards.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2895 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
My vote is for Audacity too. Simple to use and very powerful.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
I just downloaded Audicity but I can't figure out how to get songs from I-Tunes or media player that I have ripped from a C/D.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Jerrid,

Make sure that when you rip a song from a CD, you do it to .WAV format. (Assuming you're on a PC.)

For Windows Media Player 11, go to the Tools Menu and select Options. Then click the Rip Music tab. There's a drop-down selector under "Format" where you should select "WAV (Lossless)" - and save everything. Then when you rip a song from a CD, you can open it with Audacity, or any other editor.

Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music editing software for a dummy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL