The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Worship Neil Young (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've said it. That's my closet. I've come out. Ridicule me.

I worship Neil Young.

That's it. Going to be now. Good night.

I love you all.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Other than years of drug use and being past his prime, I have no problem with the man. He still writes very well and sings fine as well. I think he is a little slower when it comes to playing, but I wouldn't turn down free tickets either.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Somehow I don't think Neil could handle too many drugs (being epileptic). I met Neil in LA at an accessibility conference, he is a very nice person.
POOF!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
His voice could belong to one of the freaks from an American/Pop Idol loser shows. What he does with it is very cool. I slightly warship him.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
He's Canadian. A high school dropout. Sings off key. A political activist. Yeah, Neil is ok with me.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Oooops "Worship". I need a context checker.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If it nakes you feel better Neil Young considers himself an Amerian while retaining his long gone homeland as a citizen. I sat next to him at a Giants game and he actually looked like he was having fun. I never spoke to him, but it was cool. He is an amazing talent and his best buddy who he came over to the US with was the funk master Rick James who had gone to Canada to avoid the draft. After coming to the US Neil found out about Rick James status and they stopped being roomies etc because Neil didn't want his ability to stay in the US jepordized.

One other thing about him is he and his wife started a special school for the challenged (he has a mentally challenged child) and has a fund raiser in San Francisco every year called the Bridge concert. In all the years I've lived in the same general area as Neil Young I've heard of his support of the school but never in relation to any political activism. He is a musical genius.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Just having fun. Neil took US citizenship several years ago.

John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Actually it seems he has not based on his biography. Oh dang, I have to get tickets for Cosby, Stills, and Nash, thanks for bringing up Neil Young!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Just checked. Yeah, it looks like Neil did keep his Canadian citizenship. Don't know where I got the idea that he gave it up.

John
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 22:02, MagicSanta wrote:

II've heard of his support of the school but never in relation to any political activism.

Environmental activism like Farm Aid.

And from wikipedia: in April 2006, Young confirmed on his website that he was going to release an album full of protest songs, titled Living with War, one of whose songs is titled "Let's Impeach the President." Recorded using his famous Les Paul electric guitar, "Old Black," along with Chad Cromwell (drums), Rick Rosas (bass), and Tommy Brea (trumpet), it was intended to be a stinging rebuke of U.S. President George W. Bush and the War in Iraq. The album was recorded in a two week period in April, and was then made available over the internet from 28 April 2006 before being released as a CD on 5 May. Living with War was Young's most talked about release for years, creating heated political debate ...
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The Bridge Concert is a yearly highlight event of living in the Bay Area. Always a killer lineup!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Gaddy, be VERY CAREFUL! One more post and you won't be special anymore.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Saw THEM in the seventies when THEY were a GREAT band! Then saw him and even though he was EXCELLENT, something was missing! Also in the seventies I saw Leonard Skynard and Neil at different times while they were feuding in their music. Later when I worked for a promoter I got to do two show with Skynard and even though it's not all the original members, they haven't missed a beat! (just like ACDC, who I saw in Australia in 79)

I hope Neil young can remember...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I liked a lot of what Neil's done. I especially like "Requiem to Rockets." I toyed for awhile with the idea of putting together a mix-CD of songs not intended for the science fiction audience, but utilizing science-fiction settings. "RtR" was one as was Queen's "Year of '39." And Elton John's "Rocketman"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 11:22, Justin Style wrote:
Saw THEM in the seventies when THEY were a GREAT band! Then saw him and even though he was EXCELLENT, something was missing! Also in the seventies I saw Leonard Skynard and Neil at different times while they were feuding in their music. Later when I worked for a promoter I got to do two show with Skynard and even though it's not all the original members, they haven't missed a beat! (just like ACDC, who I saw in Australia in 79)

I hope Neil young can remember...

Actually, Skynyrd and Neil Young weren't actually feuding. Ronnie and the boys just wanted gig him a little bit because "Southern Man" was so over the top. But actually, Ronnie Van Zant always said he was a fan of Neil's, and Young said he was "proud to be mentioned in such a great song."

After the plane crash, Neil Young covered "Sweet Home Alabama" on his tour as a tribute. I'd love to have heard it.

I used to not care for Neil Young's voice, but it has really grown on me. In fact, I think "The Needle And The Damage Done" is one of the best anti-drug songs I've ever heard.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I guess ribbing is what I should have said.

It's all rock and roll!
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
Neil is the ex-wife's favorite singer. I've seen him solo once, with Crosby, Stills, Nash twice as well. Never thought I'd like him, but actually loved him. Needle In, Damage Done is indeed an awesome song (just wish it was longer!!)

He seems like a pretty balanced guy overall--I'd love to have a chance to talk to him.
Magic in the Shadows
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Sorry Balducci, what you describe is a performer and a song writer with a liberal bent, not political activism in my book....dear lord, I hope no little girls go and rat me out for saying that, I'd hate to have to go to Tibet again!

Speaking of Farm Aid. I worked with a beautiful and very nice woman who happened to be married to a well paid scumbag. One day a coworker runs in and says "Bruce is on the radio! He won tickets to Farm Aid!". We turn it on and Bruce is on there and the conversation, which ended their marriage, went:

DJ: "Congrats! You get to take a guest with you to Farm Aid, are you married?"
Bruce "yes, I'm married"
DJ "So you'll be taking the wife along then?"
Bruce "No, I've a girlfriend and I'm taking her"

No kidding, that is how she found out he was not only a scumbag but a cheating one.

I couldn't get CSN tickets....darn....Steely Dan is coming!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Worship Neil Young (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL