The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow. the "Experts " have finally figured out a solution to our high gas prices..Give them a cigar. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I read this nonsense on the net today....

U.S. drivers should think in gallons per mile: report

By Julie Steenhuysen Thu Jun 19, 4:16 PM ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - If soaring gasoline prices have prompted you to look for a more fuel-efficient ride, using miles per gallon as a guide could lead you astray, U.S. researchers said on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, they propose a new standard based on gallons per mile, which gives people a far better idea of how much gasoline they might save by switching trading in that gas-guzzling minivan.

"There is a math illusion here," said Richard Larrick, a management professor at Duke University, whose research appears in the journal Science.

Larrick said most people think improvements in miles per gallon are all the same, where a 5 gallon per mile improvement would yield the same gas savings in a car that gets 10 miles per gallon or 20 miles per gallon. (One mile equals 1.61 kilometers, and one U.S. gallon equals 3.79 liters.)

"The reality that few people appreciate is that improving fuel efficiency from 10 to 20 miles per gallon is actually a more significant savings than improving from 25 to 50 miles per gallon for the same distance of driving," Larrick said.

He tested this out in a number of different experiments on U.S. college students.

When presented with a series of car choices in which fuel efficiency was defined in miles per gallon, the students could not easily identify the choice that would result in the greatest gains in fuel efficiency, he said.

People had a much easier time when fuel efficiency was expressed in gallons per 100 miles. In that case, a car that gets 18 miles per gallon uses 5.5 gallons of gas per 100 miles, and a car that gets 28 miles per gallon uses just 3.6 gallons per 100 miles. With gasoline prices over $4 a gallon, that's a difference of about $8 per 100 miles.

"If we just turn everything around, you can see where are the large savings in gallons of gas," Larrick said in a telephone interview. The idea is not new. Many other countries, especially in Europe, already use a standard that compares gas used per trip.

To translate miles per gallon into gallons per 10,000, Larrick said people can simply divide 10,000 by miles per gallon. Cars with the highest miles per gallon are always the most fuel efficient, he said. It is when people are trying to replace a car that they may be misled.

That's how he became interested in this problem.

"We were trying to decide whether to get rid of a minivan and go for a station wagon versus getting rid of a sedan and going for a really high-mileage hybrid car," Larrick said.

"We realized in the end we were better off trading in the minivan and only gaining 10 miles per gallon then we would be trying to swap out the sedan for a highly efficient car."

To help make these choices easier, Larrick and colleagues recommend consumer publications and car makers start listing fuel efficiency in terms of gallons per 10,000 miles driven, which he said is roughly the distance people in the United States drive in a year.

Larrick's team has developed a conversion table that can be found at http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/news/mpg/table.pdfgall
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
And an inventor in Florida has found a way to run a car on water (with a little bit of gas as well, of course):

http://www.local6.com/news/16488151/detail.html

Sounds like a crank, but if you google his name you'll see that he has been in the news developing this for some years now. So who knows.

He'll probably be found dead with a bullet through his skull, and his house burned down, in a matter of days.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
We already compute mileage as litres per 100 km in Canada. I don't see what's so amazing about this.

Sean
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
They have already shown a car in Japan that runs on water. I think I saw this on the Today Show. It somehow extracts the hydrogen from the water. I think they said it got up to 50 mph, but it was a very small car.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 21:12, sean_mh wrote:
We already compute mileage as litres per 100 km in Canada. I don't see what's so amazing about this.

I don't think anyone actually said that the concept was amazing.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'd like to hear why daffydoug calls the idea nonsense.

"The reality that few people appreciate is that improving fuel efficiency from 10 to 20 miles per gallon is actually a more significant savings than improving from 25 to 50 miles per gallon for the same distance of driving."

That's entirely true but it is somewhat counter-intuitive. I doubt that most people understand that. I certainly get the impression that some posters in this thread don't.

As noted above, gallons per 10,000 miles (or liters per 100 km) is a more informative and more readily understood measure. That's why it is used in many other countries around the world. It's not nonsense at all.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Wow. the "Experts " have finally figured out a solution to our high gas prices..Give them a cigar. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL