The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New C/S Coin Download (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Hey, guys! I posted this in latest and greatest but some of you coin guys might not have seen it. Dave Forrest and I have a new release called "Attack of the Copper Silver Coin". It's a video download containing 10 super cool tricks with a C/S coin.

Here are the details:

http://full52.com/aotcsc.html
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Hi Cameron. Will you be posting any performance only videos in the near future?
I'd much rather regret something I've done than something I was too afraid to do. Have a great day. Rachel.
Corbett
View Profile
Inner circle
Indiana
1161 Posts

Profile of Corbett
Looks like good stuff. Will have to put this on my wish list Cameron.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Cameron,

You might have more sales if you leave out a certain 4 letter word. George Lucas didn't use it either. It really is unnecessary to use crass language, and it is a turnoff in advertising your material. I was turned off by your choice of language, and didn't even bother to see the routines. Just something you might consider.

All the best,
Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
Cameron -

I thought your ad was well constructed and quite clever. I enjoy when people are creative both in their magic and their methods of advertising and it's amazing what one can do today with the computer programs available. I've been buying magic for well 40 years and so much of the ads today seem like they were produced when I was a child...rather old fashioned and staid. It's a shame really because I think that the demographics will show an aging population of people interested in the art. Fresh presentations are always welcome and the cleverness in the animation certainly catches the eye.

Look forward to checking out the download!
Russell
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Russell
As soon as the DVD comes out I will be buying it. I think Cameron Francis and DAvid Forest are great so with any luck the material on this new release will be equally as good

Russell
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the comments and input.

Regards the animation and the choice of 'language' that's all down to me - so I should take both the praise and the 'heat'. I realise some people don't like 'naughty words but you can't please everybody. Bottom line is - I don't think the word "****" is offensive. Particularly when the context is as it is here - in a jokey, mischevious manner. TV, film, music, radio, literature, media - they've all been littered with so called 'curse' words for decades. Like it or not, these words are part of our language - EVERY language. I'm not producing a video for kids here. I'm producing a video for adults who are interested in magic. And even if kids do watch it 'by accident' you can guarantee they've heard/seen a LOT worse before. More importantly, the 'feel' of this particular video is of two magic buddies who met up and shot the results of their collaborative efforts. I'll tell you right now - we swore and made adult references all day long for our own amusement. Not all of it is in the video but, here's my 'disclaimer' - if you're offended by the word "****" this video may not be for you.

For the rest of you I guarantee you'll make a dash for your old C/S coin that hasn't seen the light of day in years and you'll thoroughly enjoy the 'banter' to boot! Personally I haven't enjoyed editing footage together so much in years!

Dave.
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Dave,

With all respect,'****' is a cheap way of getting around the issue. I've seen a few street magicians in the past year sadly "Keeping it real" in front of kids and they didn't say "****." I made a suggestion, you don't agree. That's fine. I'm old fashioned. As far as I'm concerned "Blue Magic" isn't going to make you or any magician more money, only less. I simply believe that there's everything to be gained by being considerate of whoever may be in your audience. This site is a very public forum and as you must know, kids are browsing as well. Just some food for thought I hope.

All the best,

Dave
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
I'm only using '****' (Five hit) so that the language blocker (the single most irritating feature of the Café) doesn't make my post un-readable. It's not food for thought and I'm not trying to get round an issue - there is no issue. The word '****' is in common, everyday usage. You would have to go out of your way and really try hard not to hear it on a daily basis - that's how common it is. I'm amazed you feel compelled to even mention it - like I'm supposed to think of you specifically (and others who share your view) before I use the word '****' - it's ludicrous! As is the idea that I think writing '****' in a cartoon speech bubble is going to make me more money or that it could ever, in any way be termed 'blue magic'!

And as for the kids! It is the responsibility of parents to make sure they monitor what their kids are doing. But, I have to say, if any parents are checking their youngster reading the word '****' on an internet magic forum and are genuinely appalled then that parent is in for a BIG shock as soon as the kid in question really starts browsing the good ol' web!

I suppose my point is, when there are so many other bad things that kids could be doing - and there are - is it really worth worrying about four little letters in a jokey cartoon advert? It's like spilling a tin of paint on yourself and then complaining because it's not your favourite colour!

The same word was printed in MAGIC magazne a few issues back and I was just stunned to see a 'complaint' letter in the next issue. I'd really love to know what people think is going to happen if a minor reads these four letters printed together? What happens next - do they start to evaporate?

As an aside, I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard tale that the word '****' is actually an acronym. Apparently it comes from the Navy. On board ships certain waste materials had to be dumped in specific locations and in between getting to those locations the stuff would have to be stored. But, to avoid contamination and the obvious smell the crates would be stamped with ****.

Sounds unlikely but I do like the story! I always liked the idea that some random acronym made it into the unholy 'curse' word category! Ha! Even the term 'curse word' is funny when you consider the literal meaning of the word 'curse'!

Dave.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
****? That's what being discussed?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see. george Carlin put put his 7 dirty words you can't say on TV. And..it was played on FM radio in New York City. Out of millions of people, one prude wrote a letter of complaint to the FCC.

There's always someone that will complain about anything. I performed for a table once and as I took out my eye glasses I said "I'm blind without these things " and...a lady at the table was offended because someone in her family was blind.

Cameron, Dave, PLEASE don't hold back those wonderful senses of humor. It's part of your art and who you are!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Hey, guys, thanks for the words of support.

Rachel, there are two performance clips on the page. Just scroll down a bit.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
amprice99
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of amprice99
Interesting that **** in a cartoon is that offensive to Dave. Even a PG rated movies say the word ****. The music on the radio says even worse. The newspapers are filled with crimes, sexual assualts, murders. Also, the news on TV is far worse for a child to watch.
So Dave must not read the newspaper, doesn't listen to music, and only see rated G movies. I think your whole point is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Keep up the good work Cameron and Dave.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thanks! I think there is some really cool magic in the download. I'm proud of the material.

I also love the ad copy and the trailer. As with all of Dave's stuff, it's top notch. He doesn't put out ****... Even though he might employ the word occasionally. Smile

BTW, George Lucas did use the word in question. Okay, so it wasn't in "Star Wars". But it was in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"! So there!
amprice99
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of amprice99
I can top that....you may or may not have seen the Shrek movies, but many kids have and guess what, he says the "s" word. Shrek also says crude jokes in the movie as well, and those movies were made for kids to watch.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Probably not exactly the place to ask but what program did you use to create the animation sequences?
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
BTW, George Lucas did use the word in question. Okay, so it wasn't in "Star Wars". But it was in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"! So there!

Ooooh, hate to be picky but it was in "Temple Of Doom" (on the rope bridge), not "Raiders".

Anyway, what the !@#$ were we talking about?
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Dave and Cameron, I think that a DVD examining the potential of the C/S is a good thing. But like Hearttau, I am disappointed with your ad.

Maybe I am old-fashioned as well, and maybe I am hypocritical (for I have certainly used that word on occasion), but in my opinion it is just intellectual laziness when one resorts to blue words to be funny. Nine times out of ten, we are taking the easy way out because we aren't clever enough to come up with something more creative or imaginative.

This argument that I have to accept profanity because it is so ubiquitous in our society is just wrong in so many ways. First, I don't think the original premise is true -- profanity is actually incredibly rare in my workplace, because most of the people that I work with are polite, genteel folk with some degree of self-control. But secondly, even if it WERE true, that doesn't mean that we should have to accept it -- there is a robbery every day in my city, but that doesn't make robbery acceptable.

Dave and Cameron, I am sure you are great magicians, but I want you to think hard about this, even for just a second or two -- as artists (this is what we propose to be when we entertain), we owe a responsibility to our audiences. Part of that responsibility includes how we conduct ourselves. It is sad if this is such an integral part of your own personality that you can't get along without it.

This doesn't mean that I don't respect you, but I certainly do not agree with you.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Just because there is profanity in the ad copy doesn't mean David or I use it in our act. I'll leave it at that.

Mark, actually it was used in Raiders. When they're on the boat near the end. In the pilot house, the captain points out the german sub to Indy. Indy says, "Oh, ****".
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
I've just checked and he does indeed utter "Holy ****" before looking through his binoculars at the sub. I stand corrected! Smile
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
Does anyone actually own this and care to write a review?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » New C/S Coin Download (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL