The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School talent show (7 year old) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
What would you teach a seven year old for a school talent show? Approx three minutes, and keep in mind he will be on an auditorium stage.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
John:
Simplicity seems to be the name of the game here, especially if you assume that your seven-year-old doesn't have much experience (if any).

Better minds than I will chime in, but I'm thinking stuff like a simple silk vanish/reappear...maybe D'Lites, and...and...and what else?
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
New user
Northwest Connecticut
35 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
Hmm... the requirements here are: easy-to-do, big enough to be seen on stage, and must still be good magic.

Metamorpho spots (spotted can) is simple and very visual.

A square circle silk production (or maybe a ghost tube?) is easy and flashy. (Remember to twist the silk ends together so one pops out the next, so he doesn't have to grope around.)

Rainbow (patriotic) ropes or tri-color rope link? He just has to be able to tie knots.

Red, white, and blue slks into a change bag, pull out a silk flag?

Don't forget the simple, but easily seen, stuff like the good old magnetic wand stuck to your hand for an opener.

I know I'm forgetting something obvious, but now my brainstorm has drizzled out. I'm sure others will help with some more ideas!

I assume he could have some music (maybe three minutes worth?) that he could practice with.

Coaching him to include strategic pauses in his presentation should guarantee applause.
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Yea the three minutes is the toughest part, that's like an eternity to a seven year old.
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
New user
Northwest Connecticut
35 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
That's why working to three minutes worth of music will let him know where he is as he goes along.

And you're right..three minutes IS forever to a 7 year old! Heck! It was a long time to ME when I first designed a musical, magical, interlude.

I hope his talent show is far enough off to give him a chance to get things together.

Don't tell me...it's next weekend. Smile
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
Several factors come into play. First of all is: how long do you have to prepare this performance? How much does the 7-year-old like magic?

These two questions are vital, because if you have some time in your hands and some will from his part, I highly encourage you to do more than 3 minutes.

Now, in order not to complicate your life too much, you can have him do some Fantasio appearing/disappearing stuff, also something with liquid/ glass mirror/slush powder and silk. Dove pan, Coke can vanishing, Crystal Tube, and Blendo are all suitable effects that can be easily arranged to music to fit the time frame you mentioned.

Now, if you have the time and will, give him something challenging.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I would also see if the student is more comfortable doing a patter effect or two. Magic to music is fine but not for everyone.
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Remember that a 7 year old will have an irrisistable urge to tell his mates what he did, so letting him into the secret of props like change bags isn't really a good idea, you may find at your next show a gobby kid who gives the game away and spoils it for others. A mate of mine had a kid who in the middle of the show shouted, "I know how that works, my uncle is a magician, the bag has 2 pockets and a switch underneath."
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
As I am not a professional like many of the posters on this forum, but I have taught a show to a couple of 10 year old scout groups. Simplicity is definitely key. Our show was stand-up but some of the effects will work on a stage. Our show went like this:

1. "Grandma's Beads" (patter about some robbers that had been caught and tied up on a train headed for the county jail. They escaped)
2. "4 Robbers card trick" (patter that the robbers proceeded to the nearest town to rob a bank, one to each floor and were called to the top of the deck by the magic police.)
3. "Transform 4 jacks and string into silks using lunch sack change bag" (patter that in prison the robbers learned many things, and became masters of disguise and worked as spies)
4. "Disappearing silks in a newspaper cone" (patter that the masters of disguise hid so well that they were never seen again).

I believe these tricks were documented in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic book.

Good luck,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Hello John,
Is this your 7 year old? I hate to see people exposing the secrets of magic to children. As you are only a child once. But I know my kids were exposed to it living with me, even though I tried to be careful. I have a 4-H youth entertainers club but they have to be nine, and I don't teach magic until they have studied stage craft, theater/clown makeup, juggling,improv, then if they ask and do some work on their own I will help them with magic.
When they start doing magic for their friends I gave them answers to how did you do that?...Like if I told you I would have to kill you... OH NO, NO! Don't have her say that!!! LOL how about very well thank you.
You didn't give us any history on this child does he/she know any magic?
Do they have time to practice?
silk/thumb tip
coloring book
vanishing or appearing crayons
Rope magic?
What props do you have???
Not enough infomation? Sorry.
Smile
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Hi Jewls,
He is my child and the only props I have he could use right now is magician's rope. The audition is on April 7th, the show is the middle of May.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
John,
Do you have Mark Wilson's Magic Course book? If not get the hard cover. The Comedy cut and restored rope with the change bag made from lunch sacks would play very well. He could start out with the comedy toss an invisible object then snap your fingers on the bag to sound like you caught something in the beginning to add to the length you also use an assistant! Big plus! You use scissors, I don't have my assistant cut the rope I do. It would be funny if he had a teacher help and thought it to dangerous to give them the scissors.
Just a though.
Hope this helps!
Jewls
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
professors nightmare?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » School talent show (7 year old) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL