The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Vernon Chronicles 1 - 4 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Heya guys,

These books are all available again. There aren't any reviews on the archives, that I can find. Can anyone give some insight into these volumes. Content? Good or bad? Worth the money?

-- Topher
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
If it's Vernon its a MUST buy.
Volumes 1 - 3 is written buy Stephen Minch, and volume 4, also titled "The Man Who Fooled Houidini" by Bruce Cervon.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
My bad the titel is "He Fooled Houdini".
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Hi Peo,
I am kinda of the same opinion, but I would still like an idea of the content. These reprints don't seem to have generated much excitement, which makes me a bit wary of buying them. Usually everyone would be writing reviews left, right and centre for a big book reprint. Nothing so far.

Anyone else care to add anything?

-- Topher
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
If you're a card person, or if you're into Vernon's approach to magic, then The Vernon Chronicles will delight you.

A great many of the original publications that dealt with Vernon's work were incomplete or inaccurate. The Vernon Chronicles express Vernon's thoughts and idea more completely.

Those who bought the first editions of The Chronicles are probably not thrilled that they have been re-printed again, which may explain the lack of "excitement".

Contents: Volume One -- Sleights and tips and techniques ranging from the optimum way to turn a card over to reveal its identity, to handling breaks, double undercuts, Push-Through Shuffles, Palming, the Diagonal Palm shift, changes, strip-outs, peeks, forces, crimps, second deals, and a dozen or more complete routines for cards. The final chaper in Volume One deals with coins, and explains clearly the Persistence of Vision coin vanish; Five coins and a glass; Silk and Silver; Slipping the Jit ( a sort of short-change swindle); and Crossed Destinies, a coins-across routine.

Volume Two -- A series of challenge locations for cards; A section on Multiple Outcomes or "outs" with card effects; A section on silk effects, including Vernon's excellent die tube routine; Moves and ideas with linking rings; The Peripatetic Walnuts (a legendary and seldom-seen routine); work on "The Trick That Cannot Be Expalined (inspired by frequent Workers contributor Hideo Kato); More card switches, transpositions, forces, locations, cards across, peeks, a method for producing any card called for from a pocketed deck, without an index; poker deals; Ace Assemblies; riffle shuffle work; colour changes; Vernon on Gilbreath; Malini's Gaze Divination; Leipzig's Two Deck Transposition; Leipzig on the Collins Ace Trick; Henry Christ's Spell Detector; The Christ Ace Trick

Volume Three -- A treatise on Palming; Switches and false shuffles, work on Zarrow and Daley; a Table Pass; Spelling effects; The Vernon Deck Vanish and recovery; Cheats; Coin effects; a chapter on Solitaire; notable is chapter six on the cherished ghosts... effects by Vester Adams, Arthur Finley, S. Leo Horowitz, Henry Christ, Faucett Ross, Mac MacDonald, Dr. Daley, Tenkai, Larry Grey, Jay Ose and John Scarne.

Volume 4 -- (Written by Bruce Cervon and Keith Burns) is a very good, condensed biographical look at Vernon's life and times in magic. It doesn't dwell on the minutiae, and has fascinating descriptions by Vernon of many of the magicians, scoundrels, gamblers and characters that he encountered along the way.

- entity
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
669 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Joker Monte in Volume 3 is worth the price of the book and then some. It took me a couple of years to find the right tumblers but once I did the rest was relatively easy. What a brilliant trick, and well worth the effort!
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Well, I think that collectors need not get their knickers in a twist. Their copies are still first editions. Besides, magic is meant to be LEARNED, not sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold at ridiculous prices. That does not help the Art at all.

Best,
Vlad
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your responses.

-- Topher
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 19:15, Vlad_77 wrote:
Well, I think that collectors need not get their knickers in a twist. Their copies are still first editions. Besides, magic is meant to be LEARNED, not sitting on a shelf waiting to be sold at ridiculous prices. That does not help the Art at all.

Best,
Vlad

I agree. It doesn't bother me a bit. Just attempting to answer the previous posts that questioned the lack of excitement in the new release.

- entity
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I think LandL put more hype into the release of the Castle Notebooks, so the Chronicles got less attention. I just bought them recently once I learnt they were available. I haven't got around to studying them in depth yet but the little subtleties and thoughts on moves are all fantastic.

I really enjoyed (so far) the coins and glass routine and the slow motion aces in volume one, and Given the Slip in volume two.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
You guys should try to get your hands on the newly released "Revelation" by Dai Vernon, with additional material by David Ben, 9" x 11½" hardbound with dustjacket, 392 pages, from Mike Caveney's Magic Words, $65 + $5 Postage in US.

http://www.mcmagicwords.com/books/revelation.html

For an indept review by Jamy Ian Swiss look in the lates issue of Geeni.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Vernon Chronicles 1 - 4 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL