The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final Loads for Little Don Chop cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
I'm looking for final load suggestions for my new little Don. Does anyone know what the greatest diameter tolerance would be?
Also, What suggestions would you give to create a maximum effect with the minimal size?
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The biggest balls that will fit are the Smiley Face balls that you get from Rhode Island Novelty. These were 37 mm balls. The problem, though, is that the sizes vary from the nominal sizes, so sometimes they are bigger and sometimes they are smaller.

An excellent compromise is a golf ball. Go to a golf supplier and get some dimpled practice golf balls made of foam. Or, best -- Fakini golf balls.

They won't jam in the cups, and they won't talk.

Finally, go to your local pet store and look at the Itty Bitty balls. Take your chop cup with you. These come in various styles and colors and look like tennis balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I used some fake fruit from Michaels, they are some kind noisy (hard plastic) but they look nice
Pablo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What have you found that will fit in a Little Don? About the only thing I can think of would be a small plum or a key lime.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I don't have the cups, but will a hand ball work?
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Bill, I found small pears that load nicely because of the shape, they have also small apples that came on like a branch, everything else is kind of big.

Pablo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 19:07, Magicmaven wrote:
I don't have the cups, but will a hand ball work?

You have to get the small ones. A racquetball will not work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
A handball is different than a Raquetball Bill.
It is a little bigger than a golfball (the one I have is anyways) and will not fit in my Little Don.
Raquetball is way too big.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
The Smiley balls look pretty good, I did a google search on "35mm Smiley balls" and found a lot of sources for these. One supplier offered a bag of 100 assorted colors at 18.95 which seemed like a pretty good deal. At under 19 cents a ball, I believe It would be a nice closer to end my hospital walk around routine with the little don, and give the smiley balls to the patients. Unless they contain latex, that would be a real problem.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 23:52, Mobius303 wrote:
A handball is different than a Raquetball Bill.
It is a little bigger than a golfball (the one I have is anyways) and will not fit in my Little Don.
Raquetball is way too big.

Handballs come in different sizes. They vary because, like lacrosse balls, there is a certain amount of leeway permitted to keep them within "official" dimensions. This has become even more evident during recent years when "official" balls are being manufactured overseas, specifically in China, where dimensions seem to be observed in the most cavalier manner possible.

As I have said on many, many occasions, you must take the cups with you to fit them to the loads that you are considering. Otherwise, you will end up with what I have in my home. That is approximately 40 cubic feet of load balls of various sizes, ages and origins, ranging from less than 3/4" to 1 foot in diameter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you don't need many of the "Smiley" balls, you can buy a dozen at Party City for a few bucks. If you don't need 100 of them, there's no need to buy that many.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Very good point. I was thinking along the lines of an inexpensive give away to the kids at the close. If I had a nickle for every half dollar I've given away...I could buy a lot of smiley balls. Smile It is hard to convince many kids that the coin which came from their ear, belonged to me.
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Bill, do you know if those smiley balls are latex free? can't seem to find anything with manufacturer specs. Aside from being too small to be safe for kids under age 6, the chemical content would be a major consideration.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Maybe it doesn't have to be a "ball"? Something like change, rices, anything... it can still make it great (but takes a little more practice).

-DJ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-02 08:19, Alan Munro wrote:
If you don't need many of the "Smiley" balls, you can buy a dozen at Party City for a few bucks. If you don't need 100 of them, there's no need to buy that many.

Usually they don't have the right size. I've checked with several of their local outlets. Again, TAKE THE CUPS WITH YOU.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-02 11:10, NoVaCain wrote:
Bill, do you know if those smiley balls are latex free? can't seem to find anything with manufacturer specs. Aside from being too small to be safe for kids under age 6, the chemical content would be a major consideration.

They come from China. Who knows what is in them? Could be anything from lead to dog food.

They are supposedly silicone rubber. However, they could be a polyvinyl.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm going to ask a question here that I think is of primary importance.

How many of you have ever gone into a store with a cup to see if the balls will fit? Or any other load, for that matter?

The problem with mail order is that the balls that come in from China are seldom the actual size that is advertised. So you don't know what you are getting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I never take to a store to see what fits. I hate all goofy balls, etc. prefer lemons limes potatoes, etc. I HAVE SPOKEN. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
I'm guilty of the cup carrying. But I'm not a huge fan of the final load being a ball or fruit. Example: Instead of producing a lime, I use a stack of sliced limes and when I reveal them and spread them into a fan display. But that's just me.
-DJ
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I've been asked some strange questions about what I'm doing in shops when I was trying final loads for size.

When I explained I got some funny looks but they left me alone!
"But there isn't a door"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Final Loads for Little Don Chop cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL