The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cheap specs... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
So last Saturday night, I took my act an hour down the road to a street festival in the lovely city of Paducah, KY. I did some TT\silk tricks, my interpretations of Whit Haydn's four ring routine, Fiber Optics, and Gazzo's Street Cups. Audience reactions were incredible: Lots of applause, laughs galore, and plenty of "That's amazing!". However, at the end of seven shows in 3 1/2 hours, my total hat was $104. Bear in mind that this same act made nearly $700 the previous weekend in a "poorer" neighborhood with ALOT smaller crowds and only four shows. After I talked to some of the other performers, I found out that the crowds really do love the live entertainment and are more than willing to lavish a performer with lots of love.... just not lots of money.
Just another lesson learned in the ways of the street performer I guess.

Sammy the Kid
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
None-the-less, I wouldn't generalize the pitch based on any one single night. Only when working a pitch full time do you get a real feel for it - for example, I make nearly double on Tuesday than what I make on Thursday ... even though I do the same amount of work for the same number of people.

People operate in groups, and sometimes the group is 'tight', and other times the group is 'loose'.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Oh I'm definitely gonna go back, if for no other reason than to test some new material... and because its a cool town with a great arts district.

Sammy the Kid
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sounds like you're doing very well to me.
Keep it up. Very few make $700 in only 4 shows.
You must be doing something right.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Frank, Man I thought I was just about breaking average with $700. I mean it was GREAT for the area I was playing. Makanda, IL is a small town of about 300 hippies\artists (my people) and a little tourist traffic. But when I played Paducah, I kind of expected a little better than $104. Paducah is a MUCH bigger city (25,000+ population) with an arts district twice the size of the entire town of Makanda and a bigger tourist area. Maybe it was just karma keeping the books balanced so I didn't make too much money and get the swelled ego....
Still, I love working the streets. Of all the venues I've worked (schools, civic group banquets, churches, stage, and birthday parties) outdoor street\festival work is the most fun.

Sammy the Kid
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I think JoeJoe is right. One crowd can change the whole evening. When they are having a good time, I am having a good time and I think that translates into better performances.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Cheap specs... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL