The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Herbet L Becker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I was on wikipedia looking at articles and came across this which is totally false. They should really change their article. This has to be a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_L._Becker

Herbert L. Becker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Dr. Herbert L. Becker (Born August 12, 19-- in Hollywood, FL) is the inventor and patent/copyright holder for BOIP (broadcasting over internet protocol) and the founder of IPTV (internet protocol television broadcasting). He is the author of many books, an actor, a magician, and the creator of the Masked Magician TV specials for FOX TV.

Becker played a character in the film "Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD" (1991), and appeared as himself on the television programs "Bozo the Clown" (1962) and "The Maury Povich Show" (2001). Image:Http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/36/44/32/10m.jpg

As an author, he was once sued by David Copperfield in order to stop his book from being published, revealing how magicians do their tricks. Becker won the law suit. The book, All The Secrets of Magic Revealed (1995), went on to become the bestselling magic book in history, selling more than 250,000 copies.[1] Becker has gone on to have 12 books published including such subjects as John Lennon and How to Type.

As a magician, Becker made the Statue of Liberty vanish before a live audience for SternTV in 1996. He replaced Harry Houdini in the 1976 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records. [1]

Becker is married and is the father of seven children.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I have a copy of Becker's book and some of this information appears to be supported by what is in his book. Kardeen was Becker's stage name and according to his book he appeared on Bozo the Clown and a number of television shows.

When you read of some of things in his book he builds himself up pretty big, "Kardeen's own show grew to be one of the largest professional magic shows in the world." According to the book he floated a elephant across the stage at Radio City Music Hall. "During this time, Kardeen was one of thw world's highest-paid performers, earning at time more money per minute than the average person makes in a week." It goes on to say that in 1977, Kardeen (Becker) had fulfilled all his magical dreams and then retired in 1978. If this were the case, it would seem there would some video of some of his performances.

On the David Copperfield note above, he builds up Copperfield as the Greatest Magician of all time and only reveals a simple rope trick, jumping rubberband, and linking paperclips. Here's an interesting video with more on the Copperfield Lawsuit and make it more clear why this is the case:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2011532/6428768
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Profile of Futureal
So if it's not correct alter the Wikipedia article.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
How do you alter the article, do you have to email the encyclopedia creators?

inventor and patent/copyright holder for BOIP (broadcasting over internet protocol) and the founder of IPTV (internet protocol television broadcasting)

This I don't believe, people have been broadcasting over the internet ever since it started getting popular in the 90's I think a media company such as cbs would have invented this. Where can this be verified?

and the creator of the Masked Magician TV specials for FOX TV.
I can believe this as well, but if this is the case why did he not plaster his name all over it as he has done with his other material?
he seems to be very proud of himself but I don't remember seeing his name once on the specials.

Becker won the law suit. The book, All The Secrets of Magic Revealed (1995),

I heard that he wasgoing to have big Copperfield illusions in there and compromised and put project magic illusions.

went on to become the bestselling magic book in history,
This is hard to believe as well

As a magician, Becker made the Statue of Liberty vanish before a live audience for SternTV in 1996.
Is this Howard Stern TV? I never heard of Becker vanishing the statue of liberty and if he did wouldnt there be a huge deal about it in the press at the time?

He replaced Harry Houdini in the 1976 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records. [1]

I cant believe this as well. What record did he break?

So I am on amazon and I found this review which I found kind of funny

The guy who wrote this book likes to drop names such as Andre Kole (world-famous prop builder) and David Copperfield (not the Dickens' one) as "friends and consultants". He also states he worked on stage with live cougars, that once his audience doubled in laughters as he blotched a levitation number, and that his son likes to illustrate - thus he did the illustrations for this book.

Well, guess what. I am only prepared to believe the latter two.

This book is a hodge-podge of "exposures" in any and every branch of illusionism: you get stuff like "snuff a candle 'hidden' behind a bottle" right to "how to make the Space Shuttle disappear". And you know what? In many many cases he doesn't get it right.

The explanations usually go like: "Then of course in the specially designed crate you have an invisible wireless two-way communication device, and an undetectable set of scuba diving gear...". Come on! Maybe I'm not the best expert in the field, but it doesn't take much to understand that in the real world things just don't work this way!
Actually, I'm amazed that he didn't try to sell the "Copperfield flies on hidden supermagnets" theory, as it ranks in the same cookiness range.

He does in fact get right the usual small tricks your uncle Ben used to do at the dining table - simply because they're printed and spelled oud everywhere already.

Bottom line: get some serious "how to" book instead of this, and please someone tell Kole, Sigfried & Roy and Copperfield that this guy is badmouthing them.

Thank you,

Chris
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Chris:

I don't know the specifics of his claims, although I do remember the book and all the press and hype over it. BUT, just because you don't believe something, that does not make it untrue. A quick search shows that the term "Broadcasting over IP" is trademarked to Dr. Becker and that he is credited with the development of that protocol.

Tony Iacoviello
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
430 Posts

Profile of daver
Ya know, I kinda wonder. I did some searches, and went through my interface to the US patent office (www.delphion.com - don't try it, you need a subscription) and Herbert L Becker has no patents recorded in this arena (I just did an Inventor name search). I also looked into Google patents to do broader searches on the technology, and of the web sarches as Tony pointed out, I see some bio information that claims he did this, but I've seen no documents showing any of it.

Hype? Just self promotion and claims on his part? I'll be the first to say I did not do an exhaustive search, but at the same time, if it is so blatant, it should be right in one's face when searching on it....

Hmmm....
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Come on guys, haven't you heard Herbert Becker and Val are now in California trying to get married?
herbertlbecker
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of herbertlbecker
No, Val and I are not getting married, I don't bat for the home team.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Herbet L Becker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL