The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unauthorized Tommy Wonder merchandise on eBay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I just got an e-mail from Dick Koornwinder, who informs me that unauthorized copies of Tommy Wonder's Ring Watch and Wallet have been sold recently on eBay. Tommy has not authorized anyone in the US to make any of his apparatus. The family is negotiating with someone in Europe to make these things.

To the person who sold these -- shame on you. You should have known better.

Lest anyone be concerned about what business of mine this is -- I have been asked by Frank Bemelman and Dick Koornwinder to look after this kind of thing in the US.

The offending item has been pulled from the auction.

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 2:08pm
-----------------------------
Lest anyone be concerned about what business of mine this is -- I have been asked by Frank Bemelman and Dick Koornwinder to look after this kind of thing in the US.

Posted: Jul 3, 2008 5:11pm
-----------------------------
The offending item has been pulled from the auction.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Great work Bill.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's the situation. The fellow who had this item listed had made it for his own use. Then he decided to sell it. He didn't realize that he had crossed the line when he tried to sell the item he had made for his own use.

When a book, such as the Tommy Wonder books, or a magazine, such as the Linking Ring, gives us permission to make an item for our own use, while reserving manufacturing rights to the author (or in the case of TW, his estate) this means we can make the item (or have one made for us), we can use the item, but we can't sell it.

The fellow who was selling this removed it voluntarily.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 12:46, Bill Palmer wrote:
I just got an e-mail from Dick Koornwinder, who informs me that unauthorized copies of Tommy Wonder's Ring Watch and Wallet have been sold recently on eBay. Tommy has not authorized anyone in the US to make any of his apparatus. The family is negotiating with someone in Europe to make these things.

To the person who sold these -- shame on you. You should have known better.

Bill,

Excellent work for sure. However, at the risk of getting flamed, I think there is a lesson to be learned here. You stated in your post "Shame on you. You should have known better." This assumes mal intent and that the ebayer had no ethics, when in fact it turned out to be an honest mistake.

The lesson to be taken from this is "assume good intent." I've tried to adopt that attitude, and when I pull it off successfully, it serves me well.

Again, not harm intended, just offering some friendly advice. Smile

Thanks for understanding.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Unauthorized Tommy Wonder merchandise on eBay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL