The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Clutch by Oz Pearlman (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
First I want to say thank you Pegasus. I appreciate you sharing your thinking on how one could use the extractor to perform an effect similar to Clutch. I still think the routines play differently but the overall effect is the same. The little details that differentiate the two routines are likely something only magicians would really worry about. I like your idea on how to use the extractor and I may just have to try it out.

Also, while it wasn't part of this thread, I also appreciate the MRD reference. Somehow I must have missed MRD when it came out, but I went back and read the whole thread on the trick and it seems like a winner. It also kind of annoyed me though, as I have the Kranzo version of the deck I believe is used to create the MRD effect. I'm annoyed because when I bought the M. T. deck from Kranzo, I thought I was getting instructions with it and I was wrong. I've had the two Kranzo decks for a while, but couldn't get the DVD for them. The M. T. DVD is now finally available (I recently found out) as a download but now I'm torn because I would love to do the MRD routine, but I don't really want to buy both. Arrgh.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
When I open the Extractor case I flick it forward and both cards should fly out either into your hands or they protrude from the case. Just make sure you’re holding the gimmick as you do not want that flying across the floor. Lol.

The MRD deck is well worth purchasing imo. It’s extremely deceptive. 5 specs choose random cards. They mix them up and place them back in the deck, one by one, anywhere. No one, including yourself has a clue of their position. You place the closed cased deck in your pocket and retrieve every card in the order they were chosen. Ie, you know exactly which card (face down) belongs to each spec.
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of joogy
Hi all,
I was going to purchase this and then worked out how it was done. I do think the promotional video is misleading as it makes out the spectator can shuffle the cards and then they are put straight back into the case. This is simply not true. I am purely a 'show my mates a few tricks down the pub' guy, and I fully support anyone selling their magic tricks; however they should be completely transparent when showing any video presentations.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2022, joogy wrote:
Hi all,
I was going to purchase this and then worked out how it was done. I do think the promotional video is misleading as it makes out the spectator can shuffle the cards and then they are put straight back into the case. This is simply not true. I am purely a 'show my mates a few tricks down the pub' guy, and I fully support anyone selling their magic tricks; however they should be completely transparent when showing any video presentations.

I have this and technically they could shuffle the cards but would have to hand them back to you to place back in the card case. Of course you would need an additional step between you handing them the cards to shuffle and when you get the cards back to place in the card case.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
Hi all,

Welcome to the world of magic where specs and magicians are equally deceived.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I don't find a trailer showing TWO full performances especially "deceptive".

In fact, there are two different approaches that allow the spectator to shuffle the cards right before the performer puts them in the box. And both different methods are demonstrated in the trailer; one by Dalton, the other by Oz.

One requires some sleight of hand, the other a moment of misdirection to cover (such as the spectator examining the box). Either one would fly by the mates at the pub.
DaltonWayne_
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of DaltonWayne_
Quote:
Hi all,

Heyo!

Just wanted to jump in and let you know the trailer isn’t misleading at all.
I literally say in the trailer “They shuffle the cards themselves and then YOU place the cards back into the box and then you ask them to place the box into their own pocket.” You even see me do this, 57 second mark in the trailer.

We also show 2 full performances with no cuts.

It’s an amazing trick! Definitely check out the trailer again just in case you missed anything else Smile
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
I bought this years ago when it was first released. If I'm not mistaken, the bare bones method employed (without the presentational hook) is included in Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. Regardless, it's a pretty good trick but (at least for me) not a "go-to" one. Firstly, you'll need to be wearing a shirt with an outside breast pocket. While not a big deal to most, I tend to prefer wearing pocket-less shirts. Secondly, I can't say this without sounding like a jerk, but it often felt like I was performing an amateurish-type card trick. I know that sounds weird since Oz supposedly closed his off-Broadway show with it. But I always felt like I could be performing something BETTER rather than Clutch if that makes any sense? Somebody mentioned using the Extractor to accomplish the same...Yes, I wholeheartedly agree because it elevates the trick to a much higher level. Spectator's remember such details... "But I placed the card into the middle of the deck myself!!" So, if you like the plot, then spend a little more money and get yourself an Extractor. It's still one of the best 'bang for your buck' utility devices in the marketplace.
joogy
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of joogy
Thank you for all the comments and information. Maybe I have missed something in the trailer but surely if the spectator shuffles the pack and even hands it back to you, it's not going to be easy finding their card quickly, even with misdirection. Especially, if other people are also watching you. Anyway, thank you all once again, and I'll watch the trailer again.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Quote:
Thank you for all the comments and information. Maybe I have missed something in the trailer but surely if the spectator shuffles the pack and even hands it back to you, it's not going to be easy finding their card quickly, even with misdirection. Especially, if other people are also watching you. Anyway, thank you all once again, and I'll watch the trailer again.

Extremely easy! What makes this is the presentation and you don't have to use a shirt pocket to perform it. If you have say a woman with a purse someone with a hoodie,a napkin off the table or whatever could be used as the receptacle to put the deck in which could amplify it more because more spectators are involved. Very simple trick but presentation is everything.
Just because a pocket is used in the old demo and the new does not mean you have to follow that particular thing to a t just be a little creative and don't limit yourself to just what the demo shows.
In other words people saying that I don't like that it has to be the pocket and it has to be on a shirt is not true it could be many places.
Why bulk yourself up with another deck size gimmick to accomplish this when there is no need too, even though I agree extractor is a nice prop I would never use it to do this because it's simply not needed for this particular effect if you can just add your own creativity to the very simple basic method this effect is based on. Like I said it's the presentation and the simple fact that someone needs to work on just as you would using the extractor for whatever reason.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I've had this for several years now and I absolutely love it! I added my own little special moment by asking another participant to pick a number between 1 and 52 and I kind of do a card at any number as a finale on this. I also don't really Rush removing the card I'll take about 2 to 5 Seconds making like I'm actually counting the card and then I pull the card out. It gets wonderful reactions!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I like that Eric, thanks for sharing.

Dave
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
You are very welcome. This really is a wonderful effect and it's fun to perform as well.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Clutch by Oz Pearlman (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL