The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Motivation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Hi all, I am just starting out in magic and I have a few Books,Tricks, and Videos, but what I want to know is how do you guys get motivated to learn magic.

Best Regards,

The Magician Smile
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Choose a trick that fooled you the first time you saw it performed. Practice it until you can do it perfectly. Now perform it for a friend and watch their reaction. After you get that feeling of being "Magical", you will be motivated. However, I must warn you. Once you have the "bug", motivating yourself won't be the problem. You won't be able to stop practicing.
manipulator
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, Texas
319 Posts

Profile of manipulator
I get motivated by the reactions of the spectators. Smile
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
I am motivated by how much magic teaches me about myself and other members of the human race. Magic works because of biases we have accumulated over the years-- I find it fascinating to be confronted with those biases. It keeps me humble to realize how easily my senses and my thoughts are misled.

There is also a comradeship among magicians that is motivating. I was very fortunate as a young magician to have some truly greats (some now truly deads!) share their experience and knowledge with me.

In addition, the relationship with my audience is exhiliarating: there is a bond between a good magician and his/her audience... the fondess of co-conspirators exploring the frailties of human perception in a non-threatening way.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
It's a great answer jdclarkson ! I must say that, by only reading this forum, it motivates me because I see how all (well, the majority) of the magicians are polite and work together, help each other out etc. I'm new to magic too, but only reading this forum is a boost on my motivation ! Smile

Good Luck
Mark
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Yup spectator reactions does the motivation required. And so does the challenge to oneself to be the best that you can be.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Motivation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL