The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » "Self-Contained" Dancing Hank recommendations please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Can anyone recommend a self-contained dancing hank type of effect and where to get it?

This would be used for just a very short interlude in a kid show, so I am not looking at the more elaborate stage versions.

Thanks.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Try the Impossible Hank, it is a complement to the Ultimate Dancing Hank.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Regards.
Zack
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Zack
For a very short interlude in a kids show, the "Waltzing Matilda" should do it.

At least until I release *my* version.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
The best version for a short bit in a children's show has to be, as Zack says, the Waltzing Matilda, which is available from Bob Little. The more expensive versions that are available, like the Impossible Hank that I use regularly and is great on its own, are unsuitable for a children's show.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You ask for a self-contained, short, fun, magical dancing handkerchief routine that would be good for kid or adult stand-up (parlor or platform) shows. Whew, what criteria!

Waltzing Matilda, already mentioned, could be central to the routine. However, alone it is just too short a bit to sell. If you play Waltzing Matilda too long it is given away (exposed)! Honestly, it is too good a trick to be thrown away. Watch Bob Little perform it and you will understand its potential!

I believe that you will need at least TWO identical hanks and TWO different gimmicks to build a convincing routine (and NOT expose either gimmick!).

The routine I would do: A bottle (a plastic two liter soda bottle with the label taken off) is shown. It has a hank inside. The bottle is sitting on the table and is tapped. The hank slowly comes alive (animates) as if just waking up. The performer picks up the bottle and the hank dances excitedly and finally jumps from the bottle, through a hoop, and into the performers inside jacket pocket. (This is the end of the first phase using the first hank and first gimmick).

The performer immediately grabs into his jacket and brings out the hank. It is lively and dances around in his hand. The performer tries to put the hank back into the bottle but the hank resists (a lot of potential comedy here). The performer picks up the bottle and tries to put it over the hank. The hank continues to resist and finally jumps back into the jacket pocket. (End of second phase, second hank, and second gimmick – Waltzing Matilda.)

The performer grabs the hank from his pocket and forces it back into the bottle where it seems to go to sleep again. Performance over.

Time three minutes to as long as five (but don’t push it!).

Ok, that’s what I came up with just brainstorming with your criteria and looking at the junk I have on hand. I put this together in less than a half an hour and have played with it much of the evening before posting it here. It works and looks good. I think with some work you can even add a trick or two to the routine (hank through mike stand, unknotting hank, etc).

I am thinking about adding a phase after the Waltzing Matilda phase. I am thinking about using a third hank, totally ungimmicked, and doing the old hypnotized hank gags (hank standing up rigid, then leans left, then right, then falls over entirely. You know the old “hair tied to the hank” gags, but used a bit differently).

You will need:

Three identical handkerchiefs;

One transparent bottle (I used a green, plastic, two liter, Seven Up bottle (probably need a heavier bottle as I had to hold it during the opening animation sequence);

One locking reel;

One Waltzing Matilda gimmick; and

A table, a hoop (optional, but looked nice when the hank jumped through it and I used it to anchor the line from the reel for the first bit, the waking up of the hank bit that is), and a jacket.

OK, there is nothing new or novel here and clearly nothing technically difficult. Anyone with a working knowledge of magic methods can instantly put this together from my rudimentary description. The routine is more about acting skills than magic methods!

This little routine meets the criteria. It is a strictly a one-person dancing handkerchief routine, and the most important fact is that IT WORKS!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
WOW, thanks Harry! I was thinking along the same lines, but not nearly as detailed or as well thought out! Thank you. One question: can anyone recommend a good source for a locking reel?

Thanks!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hank Lee carries a nice, but expensive (at $80.00) locking reel. It is called “The Swedish Reel.” It is well built and with a modicum of care ought to last you a lifetime of use.

Check it out at: http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/produc......p;page=1

The one I used for my “experiment” above, was the one found in my Sterling “Ultimate Ring Flight” I bought in the early 70’s. I simply used the Ring Flight reel, case and all, to play with the effect.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Mike Ching
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu, Hawaii
192 Posts

Profile of Mike Ching
Fine ideas Harry! Excellent!

Wrote a book on DANCING HANK Technique & designs in 1990 and wanted to mention it has just come back in print. (See the DANCING HANDKERCHIEF thread for more info in detail) But there are MANY solo-operator methods mentioned that are not common knowledge, a number of copyright gimmick designs that have not hit the open magic market for that reason.

Am working on many floating ideas including Solo performer "Smooth Float" Illusions (the "Wizard Float" C. 1998) and some unique Floating object ideas.

Always interested in meeting fellow Floating enthusiasts. Please feel free to contact me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » "Self-Contained" Dancing Hank recommendations please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL