The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Which is Best. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
I am wanting to start doing some card manipulation and am wondering what is best to learn from. "Xtreme Beginnerz 2 DVD set" or "Jeff McBrides The Art of Card Manipulation. They both seem very good. What are your opinions. Thanks for all the advice and I look forward to hearing from all of you. Jerrid
masterkiller
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of masterkiller
They are both excellent but if I had to choose one over the
other I'd have to say Jeff McBrides dvd's are my favourites.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Being a beginner myself, and having gotten both, I will recommend you start with Xtreme Beginnerz 2 DVD set. This is very easy to start from.
k13pt0maniac
View Profile
New user
Brownsville, Texas
92 Posts

Profile of k13pt0maniac
Relly depends .. if your going to be doning more of a stage manipulations act I would say go with the McBride videos... if your looking to get your skills up for say a close up routine .. I would say go for Xtreme Beginners.

been doing flourishing for the past 3 years and every time I have seen the question "what is a good dvd to start with?" I always say get XB.

-Abe (C3rb3rus)
-Abe a.k.a. C3rb3rus
MMAgicMan
View Profile
New user
Fairfax, VA
84 Posts

Profile of MMAgicMan
What is it exactly that you want to accomplish? Both DVDs have their own focus. McBride's set is on card manipulation... back palming, split fans, card productions, etc. XB teaches you "XCM". It all really depends on what you are trying to do. I own both DVD sets. PM me if you have any questions.
Dalton Jones
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Thanks for all your great comments. I am glad to be a part of such a great association. Thanks again.
Jerrid
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Well I ordered Xtreme Beginners and don't expect it in till text Wednesday. So I guess I just wait and start getting bulk quantities of cards from Sams Club. I think learning flourishes is going to be the most hardest thing I've ever learned.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Get some good cards, not cheap crappy ones. at the very minimum, all your decks should be from USPCC (not Kardwell or Cartimundi or any chinese mfg)

just use bikes, good luck with XB you're gonna love it Smile
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Thanks trashmanf
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
Well I finally got "Xtreme Beginnerz" in the mail the other day and I think that I have a long way to go before I get any good. I keep dropping cards and can't see how they do it so fast. Thanks again and one day I will be good. hopefully sooner the better.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1462 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
As far as learning pressure fans, split fans, etc..i would get Jeff McBride's dvd's. That's where I began from. Very, very detailed, slow motion, close up, explanations. I would stay away from the Brian Tudor Stuff and Buck Twins stuff till you get familiar with the basics although others will tell you to start with the hard stuff. To each is own I guess Smile
daffelglass
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of daffelglass
I started with Dan and Dave's stuff. Really good, with some nice tricks too.
“There is not a physicist in the world who can perceive when a parlor magician palms off playing-cards.”

-Charles Fort

Twitter: @daffelglass
www.magicandgarbage.wordpress.com
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Aleister Killerby
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 00:18, daffelglass wrote:

How does anyone start with D&D?!?! There stuff is so hard to pull off, that I don't think I'd have managed if I hadn't bought Xtreme Begginerz the day it came out, and built myself up.

The Art Of Card Manipulation is more aimed toward the Magician. De'vo hates magician's with a passion (but we just LOVE him). Xtreme Begginerz is fantastic, and I reccomend it to everyone, but if you want to learn the very flashy stuff, I'd go for The Art Of Card Manipulation.

Aleister
Hawk-Eye
View Profile
Loyal user
G'day from Australia
203 Posts

Profile of Hawk-Eye
I have both XB and Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation DVDs. I think you made the right decision in getting XB. To be honest, after XB I found McBride's teaching of moves like the Charlier cut, and fanning, disappointing. It was a real step down in terms of quality.

XB goes over everything close-up, in both real-time and slow motion, over and over again. And the editing and production values are superb.

There's no question, though - McBride is the king of productions.
SKILL
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
145 Posts

Profile of SKILL
Xtreme Beginnerz 2 DVD set all the way
In order to arrive at perfeccion
you must go through the failure
Japanese Thoughts
RamonT
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of RamonT
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 00:18, daffelglass wrote:

Ditto.

Really kool cuts.
manks123
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of manks123
If your just starting out, get Xtreme Beginnerz

Stefan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Which is Best. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL