The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to deal with people grabbing cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
122 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I recently purchased Michael Skinners Ultimate Three Card Monte. I've been practicing with it for about a week. I would like to show it soon but my main concern is someone grabbing a tabled card and blowing the whole effect.

How do you prevent this or even deal with it once it happens ?

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
It's never happened in over 10 years - Don't worry about it and the spectators won't worry about it.

Dave
xicepik
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal
117 Posts

Profile of xicepik
I saw some magicians before studying magic (so i was a "normal" guy), and i didn't had the tendency to grab the cards, except when the magician was putting it right in front of me (like if he was saying : You can look, it's not a fake, it's a real card, look, you'll see !). I'm pretty new to magic, but I think that maybe some wise guy who read a little about cards or magic will want to look smart and grab your card, but I don't think that it will happen.

Good Luck
Mark
Jax
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Jax
The way I get around this is to do some effects using 'normal' cards - which they can [if they want] examine to their hearts content - then once you've established that the cards you're using are gaff free - ring in the gaffed ones ! works for me !
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
I have yet to have a stranger try to grab a card. I always make sure to say (when doing a gaffed monte trick) "point" to the card, I never just leave the option of touching the card up to the spectator. Most people aren't comfortable enough to just GRAB your things if they don't kow you too well. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
I'm sure it's mostly your friends and family members who will grab your cards, strangers generally won't.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
The only time I had this trouble was when I was first starting. It's a question of control and confidence.
Watch the audience and you can see it coming. The Skinner routine is easy because your hands never move far from the cards and you have duplicates to switch in.
Any hands which move forward on any trick I touch the back of the wrist and remind them it's a memory test.
Eddie
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I have had a few problems with people grabbing cards. Believe it or not, mostly on the Chicago Opener. I have never had anyone grab for my Skinner Monte. Could be because you are always working with the Monte cards, and the spectator is not sure when the trick is over. I think the longer a card sits out untouched, the more likely it is to be snagged.

The best thing to happen to me when a guy grabbed my card was when the other girls at the table chastised the grabber by saying "Leave the cards alone da**it, we want to see the trick!" I could have hugged them. The fact they were pretty easy on the eyes didn't hurt either!!!
dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
122 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I didn't realize the importance of tempo until now. If I don't let the audience get to bored they won't be worrying about the cards.

I'm also working on a line of patter that revolves around me getting taken as opposed to me takeing the spectator. I figure it's better for me to be the loser than the spectator. I've seen clips of Bill Malone doing the routine and he's messing with a guy during it. I don't have the audience skills to pull that off so I'll mess with myself instead.

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
I also recommend doing some ungimmicked card effects to start off with. Then remove the cards for 3 Card Monte from the deck in use and hand the remainder of the deck to an audience member while you perform it. This will seem more casual and open and hopefully deter suspicion.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to deal with people grabbing cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL