The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on... Daniel Madison - Identity? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
I recently found this guy and this book:

http://www.danielmadison.co.uk/ID.htm

Does anyone have any thought or reviews of this book.

Although a few of the other routines spark my interest, I am particularly interested in The Devil's Touch... is this a new take on DW? And is it as 'open' as the description makes it seem? i.e. Good for walkabout/mix and mingle stuff?

So, any one have this and would like to let me know your thoughts?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Remember those huge barrel pens from when we were younger? The ones that looked like a sex toy that fitted approx 10 different coloured roller balls ? A good friend of mine Roger Curzon was doing what I think your suggesting with a smaller muji 2 version a couple of years ago...something to consider mate Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

HA! Smile Yeah, I remember those pens... I believe I had one and it was the prised possession of my pencil case!

Thanks mate
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
I bought Identity and was disappointed as I had seen a lot of this before or considered it obvious. I was particularly disappointed with Irreversible and Devil's Touch. I'm no expert on DW so I'm not exactly sure what Daniel Madison is claiming is new about Devil's Touch but I think most of it can be gleaned from other sources such as Gary Kurtz (and others I can't remember off the top of my head).
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I know Daniels work very well, and I think he is a brilliant creator and thinker.
Personally I did not use 'Devils Touch', but if you read it properly you will see that he claims he is resurrecting a very old technique that has been long forgotton. I, for one, had never seen it before. He never claimed it was new.
Quote - "I advertise this concept as REVISITED as this is my intention and not my invention or unique discovery."
He also credits others who have similar things in print, including Gary Kurtz.

Irreversible is pure genius. I really can't for the life of me understand why anyone could be disappointed with it. It is a MIRACLE when performed well.
All the variations he gives you are great, some better than others, but all very useable.

EightTwo is a very good variation of a memorised deck experiment, and I have adapted this piece into my longer stage show set. I like his setup and handling, it suits me very well.

There are several psychological card forces in this, some great card magic, and some excellent mental stuff. Personally I got a lot of great pieces that I use from this.
I don't have time to write a full review, suffice to say that for £15 I think it's excellent. Irreversible is worth that alone. And yes, I use it in my paid performances.

List of contents:
IRREVERSIBLE
IRREVERSIBLE „TU
MEMENTO
CUT
RIP
TENDER
EI8HT2WO
THE FINE SCRIPTURE
DECK 9
THE DEVILS TOUCH
BREACH (gimmicked)
Doctor Whoston
View Profile
Regular user
Leeds, England
149 Posts

Profile of Doctor Whoston
I was disappointed with Irreversible, I was not disappointed with the effect. I already knew the principle before I read Irreversible - it doesn't seem to add anything new.

As regards Devil's Touch, the text you quoted is from the book, it isn't in any advertising as far as I can tell. So if like me, you bought the book expecting it to add to DW, then you will probably be disappointed.
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Thanks guys for your help.

I've decided not to bother buying it.

I can see the effects and ideas are good but not for me, or for those who have 'been around' for a while.

I was asking as I'm currently becoming rather obsessed with DW and it's use close-up, and all the problems that entails!

I have a few of my own ideas and subtleties so will just work with those.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Alexander,

I guess you've seen Oz Pearlmans ideas on DW on his dvd 'Into the Abyss'

If you haven't then is well worth checking out.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I would have to agree with psychicturtle.

That whole response...

I enjoy Daniel's work and followed it from the two manuscript. I found Identity to be a great deal, from a great thinker.

if you don't get it for the devils touch ( DW) then get it for the irreversible(s), 212215 and memento...

cut and rip are fun to mess around with as well...

I wouldn't recommend this to any one however. One, because not everyone would appreciate the material and two, because ... mundus vult decipi.

pacis...

MD
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 07:44, looch wrote:
Remember those huge barrel pens from when we were younger? The ones that looked like a sex toy that fitted approx 10 different coloured roller balls?

Hey Looch, you're telling me you can write with them as well??? Man o man o man!!!! Wait till I tell the missus, who in all fairness was my girlfrind at the time.
bobser.
ps: xjesterx, if you could get the world to confirm that to me I'd feel better on Saturday nights (chuckles)
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
It confirms it by you and I have jobs

(grins)
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on... Daniel Madison - Identity? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL