The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Restoring your PC after being hit by a computer virus. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mud
View Profile
New user
Western NY
66 Posts

Profile of mud
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 00:23, Bill Palmer wrote:
A few misconceptions exist in the previous posts.

[...]

2) You can send a virus through an image file.

[...]

While that's happened before and may be technically true, it's extremely rare (as in, I can only think of one virus spread this way and it was basically a proof of concept that wouldn't realistically spread). Traditionally only executable files can spread a virus, but some classes of bad bugs in software can make non-executable data trigger a virus or other nastiness. If your software is up to date and you have antivirus installed, an image giving you a virus is basically not worth worrying about.

The bigger threat here is in people not noticing the file extension when they go to open a file (or Windows hiding that file extension). Always make sure you have file extensions shown, and be careful that the image you just downloaded is really an image before you open it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One time when I was using Norton I ran into a virus. the virus entered my computer. Norton did catch and remove the virus within one minute. But there was already damage done to my computer. The damage would not let me restore it.

I now use Kaspersky after doing a lot of investigating. One time I was on a heavy virus site, (limewire.com). Kaspersky noticed a virus and stopped it from entering my computer.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Grandma's chicken soup. No virus can stand up to it!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Restoring your PC after being hit by a computer virus. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL