The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tangled Web by Eric Mead? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Hello everyone!

I'm going on a 6 week long vacation and I was thinking about getting a book to take with me and I'm interested in Eric Meads book tangled web but I could not find a review on it.

Does someone have it? If so what do you think about it? Is there any good and practical effects in it?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's a slim volume full of excellent material for a very experienced performer.

Folks will disagree, but I own the book, and regardless of how many come on to say "it's brilliant" it remains a book with a limited readership (read: not for beginners).

It is however an excellent book if you're within its target audience. (you'll not get 6 weeks out of it though, it's a small book Smile ).
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
It's amazing. If you do anything with a memorized pack, you'll find a lot of great work. He also goes into a lot of detail on The Trick That Can't Be Explained. There's a great coin trick that works as the perfect opener in walk around. He also has an effect or two for kid shows, including a logical routine for the Appearing Cane, that's more than just "look what I can do".
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
Thank you guys,

I'm also thinking about either getting Michael Weber's Life Savers, John Carney´s Carneycopia, or The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, if I'm not getting Eric Mead's book. Any thoughts on them?
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1870 Posts

Profile of ASW
If you just want a huge book so you can work on a bunch of card tricks while vacationing, I'd get the Jennings book.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
Ditto silverking, I found 'Tangled Web' an interesting read, and I'm happy I did read it, but there wasn't too much in it for me ultimately because I'm not up to a technical standard to make the most of what he taught.

The same could be said for Carneycopia, but I really thought it was great, a personal manifesto via the description of tricks. And while I don't find myself doing his tricks, I did find it inspiring.

It depends what you have an have already read, of course, but if you haven't read it and want a book with a very diverse and interesting range of ideas, I'd go for Lewis Jones' "Seventh Heaven". I know that's changing the subject somewhat, but it's the kind of book you could dip in and out of on holiday, and go off and pretty well do most of the things in it to suit your level of technical expertise.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5378 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
For a six week vacation you might enjoy David Regal's "Approaching Magic," or Peter McCabe's book, "Scripting Magic."
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I think definitely the classic magic of larry jennings.

So many things in that book to work on, it has so many things to practice.(unlike tangled web which was great but more theory and less things to practice)
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8394 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Do NOT get my LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION or any of the BEST OF FRIENDS volumes, or certainly not any APOCALYPSE volumes - they'd keep you off the beach for the six weeks! HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Apart from its excellent content, Tangled Web by Eric Mead is one of the most attractively designed/produced/bound books I've ever seen in magic.

- entity
Jeff Hinchliffe
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, ON Canada
279 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hinchliffe
Get it. If you're torn between that and any other book, let it be Carneycopia.

Not that the others are bad, but I'd choose between those two.

If that doesn't help, you can throw the Scripting Magic book in there too.
Pick a card, any card...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 20:31, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Do NOT get my LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION or any of the BEST OF FRIENDS volumes, or certainly not any APOCALYPSE volumes - they'd keep you off the beach for the six weeks! HL

Harry, you're so right. If someone took your books on a trip to Hawaii, they'd come back as pale as when they left.

But, they would have some new killer material to perform!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
To follow up entity's comment, 'Tangled Web' is certainly produced with loving care and attention, it and 'Card Fictions' are probably the standout books I've bought in the last couple of years in that regard. Although maybe that's a reason not to have either as holiday books and have to cram them into a suitcase.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17012 Posts

Profile of joseph
I read somewhere that it contains possibly the second best Copper Silver routine in print, just behind Scotty York's...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 20:31, Harry Lorayne wrote:

Haha! So we finally know the nefarious plans of one Mr. Harry Lorayne! He puts out this great material so that we are forever indoors. Egads, the man is anti-tan!!

But, I have thwarted your schemes Mr. Lorayne! I take my Harry Lorayne collection on vacation to Tahiti where nubile and wanton women turn the holy pages for me. Yes, I sit in the sun as these syrens massage my hands after working on your Ultra Move. You see, while you were replying to Fridolina,I slipped onto a flight headed for Poughkeepsie and hijacked it by threatening to do endless variations of the ACR unless I was dropped off in Tahiti. Take THAT Mr. Evil Magic Genius Who Hates Tans!!

Wherever tans are threatened, wherever great books are forgotten, whenever someone buys a one trick pony DVD, I shall be there, for I am: MAGIC TAN GUY!! (no relation to or affiliation with The Close Up Kinda Guy)
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Tangled Web is probably the best book I've read in the last 2 years. Get it!
fridoliina89
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of fridoliina89
How are the effects in the book? Are they extreamly hard?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2008-07-11 14:41, silverking wrote:
It's a slim volume full of excellent material for a very experienced performer.

Folks will disagree, but I own the book, and regardless of how many come on to say "it's brilliant" it remains a book with a limited readership (read: not for beginners).

It is however an excellent book if you're within its target audience. (you'll not get 6 weeks out of it though, it's a small book Smile ).

This comment is dead on. I have the book as well and in fact bought it before going on a trip. I pretty much read the whole thing on one plane trip. Yes, there are good thoights and material in the book, but it is also quite slim and a lot of what's in there is stuff to think about as opposed to learn and practice. Also, the material jumps around a lot -- there's a mentalism piece, kid show piece, some stage work, etc, so unless you are a working pro you may not find all of it of the same value.

I'm on a long trip now and I brought a volume of Card College and am trying to conscientiously work through it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
My favorite thing about this book is not the tricks, but his thinking behind them. His insight can be applied to existing routines in your set. My favorite bits are Watch the Birdie, (production of a bottle of beer or coke) The Bunny Bill Swindle, (A great swindle for on a kid) and The Walk Off. The walk off is a BRILLIANT piece of thinking that when used properly will dramatically increase your tips and your standing in the eyes of spectators. Eric is really one of the finest performers you've never seen. His clients include Bill Gates, Michael Eisner and Jack Nicholson. That's the kind of person I want giving me advice for sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tangled Web by Eric Mead? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL