The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Internet Magic Shop Closes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
http://www.bottsbeans.com is closed. I never ordered from them. Anyone know them?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
No, but with a name like that, it sounds more like they should have been in the chilli ingredient business rather than the magic supply business... Smile

Lyndel
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It was named after a candy from the Harry Potter books.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Could have run afowl of Mrs. Rowling's barristers
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Could have Bean.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 20:35, JRob wrote:

That's no joke from what I hear!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
An internet magic store closes...

These kids today.

What is the world of magic coming to today?

It's not like it was back in the good old days.

ETC.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Whenever an internet shop closes, a brick and mortar shop owner smiles. As do I.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
How can someone find enjoyment in seeing a brother's shop fail?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 20:59, Psychic Samurai wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 20:35, JRob wrote:

That's no joke from what I hear!

That's why I didn't put "lol" or a smiley after it. If one is going to use something out of a published work without permission and there is no question of it's origin one best be prepared to receive "cease and desist" letters. We recently had to change the name of our Christmas 7s rugby tournament because the estate of Theodore Geisel had a problem with our naming it for a Dr. Seusse character. If we had approached them before using the name "Grinch" it might still bear that name. As it was we just appropriated it so they were somewhat less generous with granting their license.
People familiar with the Potter books would recognize the reference. She has to actively defend her copyrights or else lose them. I'm sorry the guy had to close up shop, but he should have done a little homework.

As to taking pleasure when a shop closes. That is the nature of retail competition. When one shop fails that means a potentially bigger slice of the pie for you. Any shop-keeper will be glad of that. Especially if the market is saturated. Sure it's sad to see one outlet fail. If the issue was only copyright infringement in his name, all he has to do change the name.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I can't see why they closed. There are only 9,000,000,000,000. quadtrillion internet magic shops. Maybe I should open one - NOT!
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 03:17, DVLKCC wrote:

Very simple. Many internet dealers are ruining magic. Unethical practices such as selling material that's not there to sell, selling material that should not be sold to beginners, selling inferior products, not standing behind their merchandise. 99% of my purchases are made directly from the creator, or from a brick and mortar shop. The other 1% from friends, or eBay.
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 00:56, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 03:17, DVLKCC wrote:

Very simple. Many internet dealers are ruining magic. Unethical practices such as selling material that's not there to sell, selling material that should not be sold to beginners, selling inferior products, not standing behind their merchandise. 99% of my purchases are made directly from the creator, or from a brick and mortar shop. The other 1% from friends, or eBay.

:applause:
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week, try the veal.

Actually my last line is just a little bit off. I also purchase from people here on the Café'. I would consider them friends. If I don't know much about them, I often check with others and get approval first. No complaints so far.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
They moved to ebay.
I've purchased from them a few times off ebay, and never had any problems whatsoever.

Many sellers of merchandise, magic and otherwise, find the constant traffic in the ebay corner of the internet hard to resist.
If you have a product that shows up in popular searches (like "magic"), combined with good prices, ebay can bring you a fair bit of traffic.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Another thing I don't like is how secrets are just out in the open for anyone with the bread to pay for 'em. I realize that it's a business, and they'll sell to whoever wants to buy. But there is something sad about the loss of the old "backroom" days I've heard so many talk about. However, there is one dealer where I purchase most of my stuff that believes in the old school philosophy. They have a decal on the door that reads "Select clientle only, general public not permitted." Whenever I walk in, I really feel like I'm in a secret society.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-16 01:28, pepka wrote:
Another thing I don't like is how secrets are just out in the open for anyone with the bread to pay for 'em. I realize that it's a business, and they'll sell to whoever wants to buy. But there is something sad about the loss of the old "backroom" days I've heard so many talk about. However, there is one dealer where I purchase most of my stuff that believes in the old school philosophy. They have a decal on the door that reads "Select clientle only, general public not permitted." Whenever I walk in, I really feel like I'm in a secret society.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think that's really a model for retail success today. I love the wording of that decal, though...

Here in San Francisco, at Misdirections Magic Shop ( http://misdirections.com ) Joe Pon takes a very hands on approach to his customers, and will attempt to... persuade people to NOT buy things he knows they are not ready for/ won't be able to use.

Even this rankles some folks as I've heard some magicians complain that "He wouldn't sell me this or that. I don't like him..." Inevitably I'm underwhelmed by the skills/tricks presented by said "magicians".

Just yesterday I saw him interact with a kid and his parents. The kid wanted to buy a "Vanishing Ketchup Bottle" Joe asked him if he already did magic/ and what tricks did he know? The kid wasn't sure how to answer and said he "did a few things' and "knew a little"... Essentially this was Newbiespeak for "I have a Svengali deck and want to learn more..."

Joe then asked him if he was going to "do a show soon" or was he "doing any stage magic at all"? The kid said no. Then, Joe asked him if he ever saw "Scotch and Soda". Again the kid said no...

Needless to say, the demo was then presented, and a sale was made soon after.

Joe had prevented the kid from buying what he wanted, but gave him what he needed. The Ketchup Bottle costs 45$ retail, but Scotch and Soda only cost 30$.

I'm sure that kid could have bought the same tricks online for about 2/3 the price, but then he would have been stuck with a crummy bottle trick he could not really use, and he would have never even heard of Scotch and Soda...

My opinion: Online magic shops suck for beginners and knowledgeable magicians alike, and the demise of the brick and mortal shop is a outright tragedy for the beginner.

When I was a kid the minuscule amount of time I spent at the magic shop a half hour away from my home by car taught me more about magic than anything I ever learned online in my adult life. The things I learned there, when I was a kid, made my magic better today 30 years later, when I got back into magic.

Kids -do what ever you can to bribe, con or whine your parents into taking you to a real magic shop. You'll be happy you did!

PS- I'm well aware that for the most part I'm preaching to the choir here...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
What about for the people who do their research and live 8 hours drive from from any magic store and 12 from any decent ones? sure brick and morter are great but I would have never found any of my favorite books with out the internet stores.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 21:38, blueberry_fox wrote:
What about for the people who do their research and live 8 hours drive from from any magic store and 12 from any decent ones? sure brick and morter are great but I would have never found any of my favorite books with out the internet stores.

Your loss... Smile

Whenever I go on vacation, I always see if there is a magic store in the area I'm going to... You might want to do the same!

But good luck with your magic in spite of it all, I'm sure that if you work hard with it you'll be great anyhow! Fortunately the internet also contains people who don't necessarily want to sell you a bunch of garbage -some of us hang out here on the magic Café!
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I know I'm presenting a contrary argument here, but frankly you can save 25-30 percent buying stuff online (with a much better selection), and I would feel guilty going into a magic store and taking a seller's time without buying from him/her. And I feel hard-pressed buying stuff in a magic shop when I know I can buy online . . . Perhaps the solution is to study the items with the lowest mark-up in brick and mortar over Internet, ask about a range of tricks/advice in brick and mortar, and compensate by buying enough stuff to justify the proprieter's time and interest. Anyone make these kinds of calculations and use both brick and mortar and Internet to get the best combination of information/experience and good prices?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Internet Magic Shop Closes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL