The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Internet Magic Shop Closes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-18 13:49, Mumblemore wrote:
I know I'm presenting a contrary argument here, but frankly you can save 25-30 percent buying stuff online (with a much better selection), and I would feel guilty going into a magic store and taking a seller's time without buying from him/her. And I feel hard-pressed buying stuff in a magic shop when I know I can buy online . . . Perhaps the solution is to study the items with the lowest mark-up in brick and mortar over Internet, ask about a range of tricks/advice in brick and mortar, and compensate by buying enough stuff to justify the proprieter's time and interest. Anyone make these kinds of calculations and use both brick and mortar and Internet to get the best combination of information/experience and good prices?

and how many tricks have you bought online that, when they were delivered, you found that they were utter crap and you couldn't use them? If you said "none", then believe me -you are in the minority! (Kinda like those of us who bought the "Giant 7 Foot Life-Like Monster" from the mail order section of comic books back-in-the-day...)

If not, you have to offset your "big savings" by the amount of money spent on useless garbage collecting dust on your magic shelf that a reputable dealer would have steered you away from.

The only things I buy online are collectibles that are not available through retail dealers or items that are only sold through online distributors/creators. I don't mind paying a premium on good service and the thoughtful advice of my local (or any local) brick and mortar magic shop. These folks are our neighbors, friends and peers.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm lucky. I live in a town that has a couple of decent magic shops that I can visit without too much trouble. There are also a couple of really crappy ones. It's still a far cry from the old days when Howard used to guide us along the path to good magic, charging two times list price for some things because some of us were too naive to order a P&L catalogue. Nevertheless, we supported him, because he was the only game in town.

But we learned from our mistakes and grew. The world has changed a lot. Because of the Café and other similar forums, we can find out what's good and what sucks. We can also find out who is a ripoff merchant and who is a creator. Sometimes this happens later than we would like, but I'm willing to learn.

I hate to see anyone close his store, but if they steal a name from a series, then that indicates the kind of people they are.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll......items=25

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=480

there's some background, context and history.

as to offering the mechanics of guile to those who are merely seeking to seem clever... just a passing fad I hope.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 00:56, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 03:17, DVLKCC wrote:
How can someone find enjoyment in seeing a brother's shop fail?

Very simple. Many internet dealers are ruining magic. Unethical practices such as selling material that's not there to sell, selling material that should not be sold to beginners, selling inferior products, not standing behind their merchandise. 99% of my purchases are made directly from the creator, or from a brick and mortar shop. The other 1% from friends, or eBay.

Way to clump all online shops as "ruining magic." I disagree completely.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2008-08-02 23:47, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll......items=25

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=480

there's some background, context and history.

as to offering the mechanics of guile to those who are merely seeking to seem clever... just a passing fad I hope.

Looks like we can safely rule out customer service as an issue, at least as far as product delivered in a timely manner.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-08-03 03:55, DVLKCC wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 00:56, pepka wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 03:17, DVLKCC wrote:
How can someone find enjoyment in seeing a brother's shop fail?

Very simple. MANY internet dealers are ruining magic. Unethical practices such as selling material that's not there to sell, selling material that should not be sold to beginners, selling inferior products, not standing behind their merchandise. 99% of my purchases are made directly from the creator, or from a brick and mortar shop. The other 1% from friends, or eBay.

Way to clump ALL online shops as "ruining magic." I disagree completely.

Way to misread the word many with the word all.

It kinda dilutes your point to do exactly what you're accusing someone else (wrongly) of doing...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
What is your point? So the semantics of my post was off. Do you have an opinion on the topic at hand or do you want to police the grammar? Thanks.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 04:15, DVLKCC wrote:
What is your point? So the semantics of my post was off. Do you have an opinion on the topic at hand or do you want to police the grammar? Thanks.

I made my point (a few of them, actually) earlier.

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make about your post, though.
But really it doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Internet Magic Shop Closes (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL