The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Alan Wakeling's Liquid Sands (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
While I agree that it's not as strong as Sands I do like it. I haven't performed it for an audience though. I get great reactions with the Sands of the Desert routine as it's a strong piece of magic but willing to use this as a backup and at least try it out and see what people think. The bucket I used came from a clearance section at a home furnishing store. Works great and no spills. However the Bazar De Magia glasses do work as I splurged and got them to test out.
Social Media:
Facebook.com/BentleyIllusionist

Twitter/Instagram: @BentleyBurns
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1462 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
Bazar De Magia glasses are the ticket. I have done this with both the old Liquid Appear Glasses and the BDM ones and they both work fine. The BDM glasses are a little wider so you need a bigger bucket. I used a plastic bucket and then did a confetti toss gag at the end with the "leftover liquid" in the bucket.
The string action can be quite convincing. This is a subtly that should not be overlooked. When pouring the liquid in you want to be aware of the noise the liquid makes when pouring as not to "tell" that they are going into small receptacles.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Scott, what do you mean by "the string action", do you mean the stirring action?

----------------------------------------------------

Comedy Glass in Newspaper by Bazar de Magia

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9861
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
bentleyburns
View Profile
New user
Mississippi
20 Posts

Profile of bentleyburns
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2015, Scott Alexander wrote:
Bazar De Magia glasses are the ticket. I have done this with both the old Liquid Appear Glasses and the BDM ones and they both work fine. The BDM glasses are a little wider so you need a bigger bucket. I used a plastic bucket and then did a confetti toss gag at the end with the "leftover liquid" in the bucket.
The string action can be quite convincing. This is a subtly that should not be overlooked. When pouring the liquid in you want to be aware of the noise the liquid makes when pouring as not to "tell" that they are going into small receptacles.

Of course music will definitely cover up the sound but I agree. If you don't mean stirring then I too am confused about the string action. I like that you have a definite ending. I'm trying to come up with one myself.
Social Media:
Facebook.com/BentleyIllusionist

Twitter/Instagram: @BentleyBurns
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For those members that are interested in quality magic, I just posted for sale my copy of the original hardbound copy of The Magic Of Alan Wakeling book with photo.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=78

JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1425 Posts

Profile of JNeal
That book is a rare gem...hope you get some good money for it, Bill!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
The Cocktail by Gustavo Raley is a version of the Liquid sand effect (my wife calls it Wakeling Water)and comes with the equipment you need.
We have played with this routine to music, but still haven't found the right music and the right beats. I think with all the "toy" versions of waxed sand on the market, that this is a fresh approach. Still working on it to make it a performance piece.
Really enjoy the Wakeling book!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Twister Magic pirated the effect from Alan Wakeling book. Don't know if the handling in the video is on the DVD, but it is a little different, but I really don't like the finale. Ending by pouring the liquid from the bucket.

This young man had a little different handling.

And yet another little different handling.

Nice to see some young minds are thinking outside the box.

I guess the high price $70.00 for 3 glasses and a DVD, is because of the DVD instructions.

msillusions
View Profile
New user
Ft. Worth
60 Posts

Profile of msillusions
Mr Hegbli, I'm curious about what you don't like about the pouring from the bucket ending? It seems to be a logical ending that automatically shows the bucket empty without having to make an extra anticlimactic gesture to show it empty. Is it that it isn't consistent with the removal of the first two colors?
Michael
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2016, msillusions wrote:
Is it that it isn't consistent with the removal of the first two colors?
Michael

That and without it there is no FINSH. Creating a "Cliffhanger" is part of the mystery.

All along, the audience is thinking - There is something in the bucket to make this work. The further are thinking, I want to see what is in the bucket. So they will "STAY TOONED" to follow what is happening. So they will not leave mentally or physically.

Finally, just pouring the blue liquid into a glass is not a great revelation of any kind, it is actually give the audience a feeling of being let down.

In addition, it does not complete the "Rule Of Three".

This all has to do with Showmanship as used in a magic performance.

georgeiglesias
View Profile
New user
Miami USA
85 Posts

Profile of georgeiglesias
Hello Bill Hegbli:

I advise you to first investigate and then write something, believe me it will make you a better person. This is one of the many reasons why I stopped visiting the magic forums. Too much people talking and talking with no base and no real knowledge at all. Today I was doing a research and find this post by you.

Let me tell you, that you are giving here a 100% false statement. (It is amazing how easy is for some people to sit behind a computer and write things that are not true at all)

First, let me begin by saying that this is NOT a product we produced or manufactured at Twister Magic. Instead this is a product that we only sell retail at our webiste, and that it is produce and created by Gustavo Raley from Argentina.

Second, this trick is indeed based on Alan Wakeling trick, but it have been considerably improved in the gimmicks used and in the handlings for all the routines, with other items that Alan Wakeling did not included in his book. I assume you have not purchase this trick so you have NO IDEA of what it comes with.

Fourth, so you have it very clear, we have NOT copy or as you say "pirated" any effect.

Fifth, this trick have a printed packaging box that says a Tribute to Alan Wakeling, so Alan Wakeling have been credited since the beginning, because it is indeed an improved version of the trick he describes in his book.

I am not going to disclosed and exposed here the addition and improvements of the method and the handling, if you are interested go online and purchase your own unit.

Please STOP judging things and products just by watching magic demos, do yourself a favor and when commenting at least have the delicacy of investigating further more or asking, before lying to your friends.

The Magic world deserves better!

George Iglesias.

Quote:
On Mar 4, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Twister Magic pirated the effect from Alan Wakeling book. Don't know if the handling in the video is on the DVD, but it is a little different, but I really don't like the finale. Ending by pouring the liquid from the bucket.

This young man had a little different handling.

And yet another little different handling.

Nice to see some young minds are thinking outside the box.

I guess the high price $70.00 for 3 glasses and a DVD, is because of the DVD instructions.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
George Iglesias, I did investigate the as shown by the 3 videos I posted. I do not have to buy something that is print and has been shown by 3 different young men, to see it is a poor "improvement" over the original Wakeling routine.

I stick by my assessment of the version you are selling. I personally don't care for it, as it is suffering from what I have said previously.

Those interested in your product has enough information to make up their own minds, if they wish to own Gustavo Raley, from Argentina, improvement's.

georgeiglesias
View Profile
New user
Miami USA
85 Posts

Profile of georgeiglesias
You are so easy to talk and judge by a video demo, this days everybody do the same, but you are fee to do what ever your heart guides yo too.

It is just my intention to leave here a very clear statement that you are wrong and lying. You don't know what are the improvements on the routine, because you have never had the trick in your hands, so you cannot tell. Judging a trick or routine just by watching a video demo does not make your opinion strong and loose credibility, how can you say "poor improvement" just by watching a video demo from your chair at home, if have never seen or have this trick in your hands?

I am not going to enter further in a discussion with you, is worthless. If you have any questions you either buy it or contact Gustavo Raley to Argentina to really know, but just so you understand very clear, Gustavo have not pirated any trick, he took an idea from Alan Wakeling´s book (Who is fully credited in the product since the beginning) and put a new thinking in the gimmick, the handling and the routine, so the trick have been clearly improved for better.

Good vibes and have a great day!

Quote:
On May 10, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
George Iglesias, I did investigate the as shown by the 3 videos I posted. I do not have to buy something that is print and has been shown by 3 different young men, to see it is a poor "improvement" over the original Wakeling routine.

I stick by my assessment of the version you are selling. I personally don't care for it, as it is suffering from what I have said previously.

Those interested in your product has enough information to make up their own minds, if they wish to own Gustavo Raley, from Argentina, improvement's.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2555 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I agree with 'msillusions' and think the effect ends as the 3rd liquid is poured from the bucket. This fits the rule of 3, and allows the audience to see the bucket is just a bucket without having to add any additional actions or anticlimactic ad hoc proving after the effect has finished.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tonight at 8:00 PM, Master's of Illusion aired. There was a magician from Chicago, performing Liquid Sand using colored water. His presentation was excellent. I noticed he was using what looked like an Owen's Coin Pail (Lion knobs on sides of chrome bucket) to hold the glasses and liquid.

Don't know if this was a remake of the Alan Wakeling version or he used the Twister Magic props, but I must concede that it was a very good presentation and the ending did draw surprise.

His ending was pouring the blue colored water from the pail into a glass, showing it empty. His glasses seemed a little taller then what is available on the current market.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21787 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I found I have captured the repeat performance of The Masters of Illusion program yesterday. Bill Cook from Chicago was the magician who performed a version of Alan Wakeling's Liquid Sands effect.

After watching it several times, I come to the conclusion that he used the Twister method and presentation. I believe it was his performance with patter that brought the whole effect together and gave it more meaning and magical experience.

I have to change my original thoughts and opinion, and say that Twister Magic's version is more magical and puzzling. This is one effect that using patter, enhances the magic so the audience can follow along the experience of what is taking place.

Still available through Penguin Magic: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S25373

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Alan Wakeling's Liquid Sands (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL