The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Did De'vo Slip Up Here (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Aleister Killerby
Before I start, I don't want anyone to get me wrong. De'vo is the most talented XCMer in the world, and I have tremendous respect for him. I disagree with his strong opinions about magic, but I agree with some of what he says on the matter. He is a great guy who has done so much for me through his DVD's and books, and the one rumour that I am willing to believe (which doesn't mean I do believe) is that Motions doesn't and never did exist.

This brings me to the topic. Supposedly some of what is on Motions will be on his new DVD Schattenreich (This sounds like an advertising campaign above anything else). But Motions is meant to be a new concept. (a concept is a new branch. Fanning is a concept, so is aerials, so are one-handed cuts and the latest addition - perching). Now if he were to expose some of what was on the Motions DVD in Schattenreich, that would surely expose this concept and hence the rest of Motions would be easily worked out.

To illustrate what I am saying let us suppose that Fanning doesn't exist, but soemone released a very limited DVD called "the fan". After 5 minutes it is sold out. Then years later, some of what was on "the fan" is exposed in another DVD. Everyone would be able to figure out various different ways of fanning, and the original DVD, "the fan", would be valueless.

Now replace the words "the fan" with Motions, and you'll see my point. Why would De'vo expose the entire DVD, if he has seemed so passionate about keeping it underground for so long?

Is this evidence that Motions is just a myth?

I do not mean to insult anyone through this DVD, and my respect for De'vo is immense, so please do not take this the wrong way, I just though it'd be interesting discussion material.

Aleister
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Where did you hear that Motions material will be on Schattenreich?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-07-14 22:40, DVLKCC wrote:
Where did you hear that Motions material will be on Schattenreich?

this is taken from the official store under Schattenreich.

Quote:
Superhandz.com wrote:
This DVD is being filmed in Ulmen where De'vo now lives, and other surrounding castles and areas. Portions of De'vo's very underground "Motions" concept and other possible concepts and moves are planned.

Plus I've heard more on the Handlordz forum.

So what do you guys think?

Aleister
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
I am a regular on the Handlordz forumz and I can tell you it sounds like it's working exactly as he planned, which is, you're buzzed with questions about it Smile

Motions IS real, you can even read what Jerry the flourishman has said about it, and yes it will be on shattenreich not as a "advertising campaign" but simply more hotness that you were already gonna buy anyways.

the reason the DVD has been kept underground so long is that if he released it, there would be tons of youtube kids exposing it, and doing it REALLY badly, and claiming variations of it on their own.
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

But if you show one item from motions, surely the rest is easily figured out because it is a concept rather than a collection of moves.

I believe that Motions probably does exist, and I understand why it is so limited, but surely exposing some of it on Schattenreich will be a nightmare for de'vo, just as much a nightmare as it would be if he release Motions to the public again. Why is de'vo bothering?

I don't mean to sound ungrateful though, if this concept really is put on Schattenreich, I will be eternally grateful to de'vo.

Aleister
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
He's finally releasing a lot of his underground stuff on Schattenreich because it's going to be his last DVD, there won't be any more material from De' publically released after that so he's putting a bunch of unpublished stuff on it. It should be the bomb!

there are several other underground DVDs too like a de'ring variations DVD I believe and some others that I have no idea what the title means, so I won't even list them here, haha
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

LAST DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why wasn't I told.

That explains a lot. Is there a release date yet?

trashmanf, I PM'd you.

Aleister
webghost
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of webghost
You'll be learning the concept, but that doesn't mean you'll know the actual moves that are on the Motions DVD. Perching is a great example. Suppose there was an advanced perching DVD that only a select few had....knowing the concept from XB, and just knowing the advanced DVD existed wouldn't lead you to figure out what moves are on the advanced DVD.
FYI. That I know of there isn't an advanced DVD on perching...I'm just trying to explain of why it isn't a slip up. I'm also not trying to debate the existence of the Motions DVD, you either know/think it's real or you don't.
daffelglass
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of daffelglass
I personally trust De'vo to know what he's doing. He's the best card handler in the world, and I don't think he's an idiot, I personally think some magicians have to learn to trust others judgment.
“There is not a physicist in the world who can perceive when a parlor magician palms off playing-cards.”

-Charles Fort

Twitter: @daffelglass
www.magicandgarbage.wordpress.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Did De'vo Slip Up Here (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL