The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fat guy escaping from a straight jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2478 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Wow Kyle,

Do you have that on video to share with the rest of us?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Sadly, The local TV network holds the rights to the TV special. But, there are some pictures on my website. My promo video also shows me performing an escape with the same straight jacket. The video is in the gallery page and the pictures of the escape are on the Buried Alive page on my webbie.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4364 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Not a gay jacket - there we go again with the straight jacket spelling! Smile Smile Smile

Argh who cares! In fact who gives a ****?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Actually, with as tight as that thing hugs me, I'm not sure what its intentions are . . . Smile

Thanks,
Richard
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
"will be ready to try out the routine with a test audience on the 15th" -- rtgreen

Just wondering how the escape went.

Michael
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Hi Michael,

It went pretty well. I did some silly comedy and used the fight music from Star Trek as a background. However, I do need to say that this is a lot harder to do than I anticipated. At one point in the escape, I was contemplating giving up and asking to be untied, but finally got out. It got huge applause, but I need a lot more practice.

Thanks,
Richard
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9489 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The best advice I believe all the pros can agree on is not how to escape BUT how you allow yourself to be confined. If you gain enough slack while being restrained the escape itself should be" all show "

It's like substituting a stacked deck for a shuffled deck. The trick is over as far as you're concerned but nothing has happened in the eyes of the audience.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2549 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm bigger than that and I've been in tons of straitjackets. I can't wait to do it voluntarily!
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Sorry to revive this 2.5 year thread but I'm also debating about trying a straight jacket escape with possibly an un-gimmicked straight jacket, I looked at that site near the top of the page and I was wondering if those are gimmicked or un-gimmicked straight jackets? Also I'm really heavy, I fluctuate between 350 and 330 lbs and I'm pretty tall at about 6'2" tall but I'm really considering this because I was watching an old Jeff McBride DVD and Abbi was performing the straight jacket escape at the Burning Man Festival and I'd really like to learn how to do it, but I'm not sure what size I'd actually need to do an escape.
illusion777
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of illusion777
Matthew, I don't think your size will prevent you from performing this with an un-gimmicked (aka regulation) straitjacket. I am performing the straitjacket escape for the first time in an upcoming show. I got the size designed for my build and have been able to get to the point where I can have it as tight as possible and still get out. It will require some flexibility and no you do not have to dislocate your shoulder as some people incorrectly claim. I have watched lots and lots of people doing this escape and here's what I can suggest: 1) Avoid the corny jokes and cheap humor. 2) Watch as many different people escaping a straitjacket as you can. You will learn lots from the people who do it bad. 3) Go here for some tips on how to do it correctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-7MsV_R_0E. Try to find a copy of Dixie Dooley's Escapology DVDs. Usually Penguin Magic has them cheap. Let us know how it goes.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
1) What do you mean by un-gimmicked? If you mean regulation then you're talking Posey which has front and side loops, a crotch strap and friction buckles.
2) If people like the corny jokes and cheap humour and doing it will get you paid and re-booked then use the corny jokes and cheap humour. If it doesn't then ditch it.
3) If you're talking Posey with front and side loops the video that Illusion posted won't teach you how to do it. And as for the Dixey Dooley DVDs I'd avoid them like the plague. Jay Leslie's SJ DVD is worth getting, can't remember if it has Posey tutorial though, and so is the John Novak series.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Wear a shirt that will stay tucked in through the escape. Getting in shape and getting a good haircut is a must. I've seen a few performers who look completely disheveled afterward - shirt half hanging out, the bad comb over is flopped up and gasping for breath like they're having a heart attack! That's not showmanship. A performer should have some self-awareness, or he looks like a gimp.
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2253 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 16:41, Alan Munro wrote:
Wear a shirt that will stay tucked in through the escape. Getting in shape and getting a good haircut is a must. I've seen a few performers who look completely disheveled afterward - shirt half hanging out, the bad comb over is flopped up and gasping for breath like they're having a heart attack! That's not showmanship. A performer should have some self-awareness, or he looks like a gimp.

I disagree with this completely. I believe it adds to the show psychologically if you look disheveled. What is the point if you come out looking neat and perfectly comfortable? That just means it was not even difficult in the first place and no one is that impressed. IMHO, the coming out half dead, is showmanship. Coming out neat and easy is like performing a stage show with no lights, music, patter and a boring stage prop. What is the point then?

Regards
Wolflock
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 00:09, Wolflock wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-10-16 16:41, Alan Munro wrote:

I disagree with this completely. I believe it adds to the show psychologically if you look disheveled. What is the point if you come out looking neat and perfectly comfortable? That just means it was not even difficult in the first place and no one is that impressed. IMHO, the coming out half dead, is showmanship. Coming out neat and easy is like performing a stage show with no lights, music, patter and a boring stage prop. What is the point then?

Regards
Wolflock

I agree with Wolflock here. The straitjacket is supposed to look hard even if in reality you find it easy.

Now I'm not saying you have to thrash around and roll about the floor. But you shouldn't come out of doing an SJ and appear as though you just took your jumper (sweater) off.

If you can recreate the Tony Curtis style of escape that's great. However even he looks half dead once the jacket is off. Sweat pouring out of him.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fat guy escaping from a straight jacket (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL