The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hellboy II (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I watched the new Hellboy movie last night. It is not as good as the first movie, but it is a fun picture to watch. Great action, special effects, lots of humor, and a good story line, but with parts that did not work for me (the Abe crush being the biggest one) in my opinion, what weakened the film was the attempt to weave in bits and pieces of upcoming story lines, laying the groundwork for future films. If it had stuck with the current storyline and played that a little stronger, the movie would have been more cohesive.

That being said, there were some spots where I could not hold in the laughs, the beer drinking, singing love songs scene being one of them. And the visual effects were great. It is a fun film.

Tony
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
"Not as good as the first movie?" Okay, that kills any interest I might have had to view this thing.

What was wrong with the first movie? I mean, besides the cheesiness, the hackneyed "one of us or one of them" story, the achingly bad lines ("I vould keeck your #ss, if I had any legs!") and the Capra-in-Hades finale?

Two words: Jeffery Tambour.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I finally saw the first one last night on cable, and I thought it was GREAT, mainly because of the cheesiness. I wasn't a Hellboy fan, so I can't compare the story line with the written version, but it was a fun ride.

I missed the first part of the movie, though. How did he become what he is?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
ClintonMagus- Hellboy was born that way.

During WW2, some special ops soldiers managed to stop an occult summoning ritual being conducted by Rasputin- and discovered a "hellbaby" had slipped in through the portal before it closed.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
He's a Devil with the horns broken off....

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
I enjoyed the first one as well as all of the animated movies. I am looking forward to seeing this one next weekend.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Will Hell Boy be one of the Avengers? Did another hero from another film come and talk to Hell Boy at the end of the movie?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
What HellBoy is, is an all-too-rare example of perfect casting. Ron Perlman IS HellBoy! I wish all of the other comic book movies had done as well with casting their heroes (or anti-heroes).
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 12:06, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
He's a Devil with the horns broken off....

Smile

Actually, he's sawen them off and grinds them down on a regular basis. (Interesting point, are their nerve endings in the horns? That would be painful.)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
And the reason he cuts them off is because if they grow out, a glowing ball of fire of hellish power appears between them, and he knows that power is destined one day to destroy the world.

So, in other words, he has a pretty good reason to keep them trimmed.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Finally, a reviewer who knows what he is doing!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Actually Ed, near the end of the first movie, he breaks them off and stops "the glowing ball of fire from hell".

I too was disappointed at this second movie. It had a lot of special effects but the story really wasn't about hellboy. At least not like the first movie was. I agree that the beer drinking segment was about the funniest part of the movie.

I thought Abe seemed too much like C-3PO in star wars. Seemed to have the same type of movements and at the same time was a little "slow" in the mental process.

Compared to most of the movies being released right now though, I think it was the best bet.
Where the magic begins
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
We walked out...

Terrible...

This marks only the second movie I have EVER walked out of. Horrible script! There were so many sub-plots (we counted five) that they had to literally explain what was going on! there is nothing worse than a writer beating you over the head with strangled dialog.

Abe was a dissapointment from the first time he opened his mouth...the C-3PO comment was dead on...down to the "Oh my" aaarrrrgggggg! The movement had changed for the character which is surprising because the same actor played him in both films. (Doug Jones portrays but David Hyde-Pierce voiced over the character in the first movie- a decision by the studio- a good one I might add).

We never got to the beer drinking scene. We walked after the fight with the nature god.

Maybe when it is a $5.00 movie at my local ESL wal-mart, I might see the whole thing...then again probably not...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 15:24, Dave Scribner wrote:
Actually Ed, near the end of the first movie, he breaks them off and stops "the glowing ball of fire from hell".

I didn't read the comic and I didn't see the first film. I thought he was just trying to minimize his differences with the rest of the world.

But sacrificing the ability to destroy the world is pretty cool too!

I like the charcter, but I don't think I'm going to be a big fan.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Aleister Killerby
View Profile
New user
Sunny Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Aleister Killerby
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 11:14, Leland Stone wrote:
"Not as good as the first movie?" Okay, that kills any interest I might have had to view this thing.

What was wrong with the first movie? I mean, besides the cheesiness, the hackneyed "one of us or one of them" story, the achingly bad lines ("I vould keeck your #ss, if I had any legs!") and the Capra-in-Hades finale?

Two words: Jeffery Tambour.

But that's what made the first one great. I've always thought of hellboy I as a bit of a parody of these types of films, am I wrong?

Haven't seen hellboy II yet, hasn't even come out in Australia.

Look forward to it.

Aleister
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Fair enough, but decent parody requires talent, and IMO, Hellboy displays too little to qualify. Good parody in this genre? "Army Of Darkness." I kinda wonder if Hellboy is more along the lines of the unintentional parody done by Paris Hilton?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I liked it....

Imo, it is a Big Red Demon who beats up Big Ugly Monsters with his Big Hand and Big Gun!

It's a Popcorn Movie! You guys think too much...

Imo... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 19:08, JTW wrote:
We walked out...

Terrible...

This marks only the second movie I have EVER walked out of. Horrible script! There were so many sub-plots (we counted five) that they had to literally explain what was going on! there is nothing worse than a writer beating you over the head with strangled dialog.

Abe was a dissapointment from the first time he opened his mouth...the C-3PO comment was dead on...down to the "Oh my" aaarrrrgggggg! The movement had changed for the character which is surprising because the same actor played him in both films. (Doug Jones portrays but David Hyde-Pierce voiced over the character in the first movie- a decision by the studio- a good one I might add).

We never got to the beer drinking scene. We walked after the fight with the nature god.

Maybe when it is a $5.00 movie at my local ESL wal-mart, I might see the whole thing...then again probably not...

I totally agree, this movie was terrible (in my opinion).

Even at the matinee price, not worth it. I felt like all the characters were masquerading as what they were supposed to be. Hellboy is supposed to be a bad-ass, but he fell significantly short.

Abe is one of the worst characters I've ever seen. He's supposed to be an "intellectual" and they portrayed this by him listening to the four seasons by Vivaldi. NOT EVEN WINTER! Spring. How more generic can you get. "What are you listening to?"
"Oh, VIVALDI, I'm such an intellectual!"

This movie was so bad that afterwards my friend and I rented Die Hard With A Vengeance. Which btw, is a FANTASTIC movie. Watch that instead, it's actually entertaining.

Skip out on Hellboy 2.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hellboy II (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL