The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Mask changing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

roy31
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of roy31
I have just seen a video clip of Chinese mask changing... Wow, any ideas? Is it mechanical or sleight? It's fast.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
Speaking as a Mechanic, I would say all sleights are mechanical. But I have seen it, and it is simply magical.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
roy31
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of roy31
Thanks for your input, Tommy. I am trawling the web for more info, but there isn't a lot out there.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16347 Posts

Profile of tommy
There are quick change artists here at The Café someplace, and I recall them talking about this mask art before. Maybe you might try putting “mask” into the search here. I am just a card guy, and most other things are just magic to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17862 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes, there is a lengthy thread somewhere. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
There is a mask change act on Penn and Teller's DVD, 'Magic And Mystery Tour'. If memory serves, it's just a guy doing it in a bar somewhere, but it's really cool. Try YouTube.

-- Topher
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Dear all,

The Chinese magicians I know are quite reluctant to share it with foreigners.
However, after some convincing, I was able to get the trick 3 years ago from a magician in Beijing for $1.500 US.
All including the cape, the hat, the jacket, and the boots.
Beautiful handwork.
I never did perform it because it takes some time to practice, which I do not have, and here in Taiwan, I know at least two local magicians who do it great.
So, no reason that a foreigner with less practice screws it up. Smile
But I keep it as a collector's item.

Regards from Taipei,
Richard
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
In Chinese, it's actually called face changing ("bian lian" pronounced bee-ann lee-ann). You can most easily see a few performances by renting the movie King of Masks.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
rchenghk
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of rchenghk
This is a classic in chinese magic, Alan Wong from Hong Kong has adapted the idea of "Bian Lian" - Face Changing into a packet trick using a few cards ! The idea is really COOL, you can play the classic in your hands anytime and anywhere ! Thanks Alan Wong for his great creation ! A truly new product in 2008 from him !

BIAN LIAN
Chinese 'Face Changing' Card Trick
http://www.2learnmagic.com/shop/index.php?productID=733

By Alan Wong
Idea by Michael Cheung
Instructions edited by Steve Marshall

Effect

Four cards are shown, all having black and white Chinese opera masks printed on the face of the cards. One by one, each black and white mask changes into a different colored mask. At the end all four different color masks and backs of the cards are shown. A visual, simple and culturally colorful card effect !

http://www.2learnmagic.com/shop/index.php?productID=733
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Mask changing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL