The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New tips idea? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Was just thinking about you buskers that pass hat? Well you know those guys that do the living statue in twon squares? And when you throw money in there pot then they move a little?

Well could magicians get tips that way? like you only perform a trick when someone throws money into your tip jar? just an idea guys any thoughts?
tom hughes
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of tom hughes
Crate slugs are loathsome slime scum, they only exist to give mimes someone to look down on... I'd hate to bear even a passing resemblance to such idle slackers.

tom
http://www.ashevillemagic.com
http://www.themagictomshow.com
magician/magic show in asheville w.n.c.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Owen,

I like that you're thinking in new directions! Have you considered trying this yourself?

I'd love to hear about your experiences after a couple of days of using this technique.

What's holdin' you back?!?
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Is that what they call them? it must be very hard to stand still like that tho?
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Hey Chad thanks, the thing that holds me back I guess is self confidence and low self asteem. I want to try it out. I'm thinking like a Pay/Trick system of busking
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I worked with a young magician's group who tried something like this during a New Year's First Eve festival. Sort of a "Vend-a-Trick." The kids had a fairly good showing - but, to my busker's eye, the hat was much lighter than it should have been for an event of this nature. We went back to the "Draw a crowd, Knock their socks off, Pass the hat" system the following year and did much better.

I applaud thinking outside of the box, but I think the "Buck-a-Trick" method makes it far easier to simply pass you by. Besides, you work harder for the few bucks you draw in. Just thinking - If Passer-by A gives you a buck to see a trick and Passers-by B thru H stop to watch then wander off without contributing- You lose.

That said...if this was done on an artistic level with nonmonetary goals, it might be fun and you might draw a few extra bucks from appreciative "sideline spectators." Certainly something to think about and toy with.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
Tom, you crack me up. Where do bucket bangers appear on your hierarchy of street performers? I had to deal with one of them yesterday. When asked why he was doing it,"Because I owe my cousin $50." He didn't have his heart it in and moved on after 30 minutes.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
Kevin Mc Lean
View Profile
New user
Kevin Mc Lean
57 Posts

Profile of Kevin Mc Lean
Hi Owen,
going back quite a few years, there was a fellow in Brisbane, Australia, who used to do just that. He'd dress in a tuxedo, heavy makeup, so he looked just like a store manequin, put a hat in front of him and when someone put money into the hat, he'd do coin magic in slow, jerky movements (he had good technique) like an old Victorian era automaton.

It was a novel act. I don't think he ever made a lot of cash, but man did he draw a crowd sometimes. If it's your style, go for it. The worst that will happen is that you won't make a lot of cash.

Personally, I hope you make a killing - but this guy looked professional and while he could get the crowd, he just didn't have the tips method down pat.

Hope it helps.

Best Wishes,

Kevin Mc Lean.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
Just put out a tip jar.
Most people will see it and feel obligated to put something in it for the trick.
Then once you've built up your confidence you can start hatting them.
But leave the jar out for people who need to leave before the end.
Here's a thought.
Someone comes up to you and you say,
"Let me show you the One Dollar trick." Do something quick like a color change.
"Now let me show you the Five Dollar trick." Triumph perhaps?
"Now here's the Twenty Dollar trick" Finale style trick.
"That was Twenty-Six dollars worth of magic. Pretty good deal for five bucks."
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
This sounds like it could work lol
If you were going to do this what would you have written on your tip jar? So its clear to people what you are doing
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I didn't write anything on mine.
Just bait it with a bill.
They'll get the idea.
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
You know what would be funny, if you stood inside a glass box, and on the side of the box is a coin slot lol
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
Quote:
On 2008-07-16 22:11, Owen Thomas wrote:
You know what would be funny, if you stood inside a glass box, and on the side of the box is a coin slot lol

LOL That's the first post tonight that made me laugh. Great visual.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Some buskers inundate their audiences with hat lines during the performance and some pass the hat before the finale.

I think this is a good post worth talking about here on the Café and also trying out IRL...

Any other thoughts on this subject from the buskers with more than a season or two under their hats?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
"Under their HATS."
Pun intended?
heh
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24264 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I always did my hat line at the end of the show. I made it into a routine.

However, I know acts that do a "warning" line just before their last bit. Then they pass the hat.

Both work fairly well. The "warning" did not fit my script. But for those whose acts it fits, it depends on one very specific thing -- you must have a final number that is so strong that people will watch it, even though they KNOW that you are going to hit them up for money.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Has anyone seen Trigger Happy TV?
What this guy did, is dress up in a teddy bear costume and stood still in the middle of a park, inside a glass box with a coin slot on the side. People would walk past and wonder what this was about? So someone would put a dollor in the slot. The teddy would then hold out cardboard sighns, the first read "SIT DOWN". The spectator would then take a seat on the floor on the grass. The teddy would then show a sighn "STAND UP", the guy would then get up. Then the teddy would show a sighn "NOW GO AWAY" lol
I don't know why but I thought this was really funny, kinda monty python style lol
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
That show rocks.
Total insanity.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New tips idea? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL