The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » SEO / SEM / PPC / website basics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Ok I have been lookin around for a few months now seeing what people are doing and what people are suggesting to others. There is tons of great advice and tons of misinformation. So as a former SEO / SEM Guru who ran a few different companies building websites and managing Internet marketing campaigns (I got burned out from working 80hr weeks and quit).

so lets do some basics first

Website layout and design

KEEP YOUR VISITOR IN MIND
a really neat layout could hurt your conversion..
design your site with your ideal customer in mind (read Booked solid by Michael Port if you don't know who your ideal client is)
If you do MANY things and have clients that would conflict BUILD MULTIPLE SITES..

when doing your KEYWORD research build a big list
but only optimize each page for a few.. 1 page will never rank well for more than 5 key phrases (I only use 2 or 3 per page)..

Meta tags (USE THEM)
your title tag is IMPORTANT USE IT and learn how to write good titles
"Welcome to Johnny Magics website" is not a good title

DITCH image link navigation (ohh my site has it.. umm no it doesn't that's CSS with a image skin the search engine sees ONLY text)
the search engine spider cant read images so a image link it doesn't like
use ALT text for ALL images on your site

SEO includes MORE than just what you do on your website
you need INBOUND LINKS (everyone tells you this but not many say HOW)

well here is the gold mine of this post.. build a blog on myspace / facebook / twitter and each post needs to link to your main site (there you now have a HOW "not a uber, I own google SERPS" How, but still its a HOW)

I would suggest 3 blogs.. a company blog that talks about your company and what your doing.. a customer blog that tells your customers relevant information and a personal blog that tells what your doing within the business (not that your cat is sick and you went to the vet)

PPC
USE it to figure out the "MONEY" phrases..
you can build PPC around key phrases and you learn where the traffic is.. then you build pages on your site geared toward those phrases...

ok enough ranting

if you want more detailed help PM me
I will even call people and talk to them about their sites and point you in the right direction (or IM / or Skype if your outside the US)

If I get good feedback from this I might add to the post a list of websites with utilities to help with SEO / SEM
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mike,
You hit the hammer on the nail!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2262 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Mike,

Thanks for sharing!!! Good stuff!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2008-07-16 13:27, MikeClay wrote:
SEO includes MORE than just what you do on your website
you need INBOUND LINKS (everyone tells you this but not many say HOW)

If you have any goods suggestions, PLEASE let's hear 'em!
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
A easy way...
Comments on blogs..but please don't spam

and it needs to be a popular blog that google watches

and your post needs to be relevant..
its not about getting people from the blog to your site... its about the spider seeing a link to your site from somewhere popular
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Mike, how come your own website only earns a Google Page rank of 2

I thought being an expert you would have one that ranks a bit higher?

I guess you will probably come back with the
"oh it's just a new site" line that was used a week or so
by another new guru here lol

bb
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Na... my site has some serious problems as far as PR goes the biggest being the dynamic linking I use because of the CMS I built for it...

the site isn't old according to google.. almost 2 years...
but hey the reality.. I'm lazy and would rather have the ease of the CMS that lets me do what I want when I want than go for the PR4 that the site would earn just by changing the dynamic end of it with .httaccess but then that's something I really am not good at...

the reality.. if I actually had competition on the phrases I am wanting to list for I would do more.. but I don't have to nor do I need to..

I don't have the topic focused feed to get pr5 but then I also don't have enough content to do that without a TON of work... and like I said I'm lazy

I spend less than a hour a week on MY site... I got burned out on doing this stuff.. and am now a full time entertainer...

and I don't remember claiming to be a guru (EDIT- hrmm just reread my first post guess I did)... but I was in the industry for a LONG time and got tired of it...

but like I said its the Multipathing that is caused by my dynamic linking keeping my PR down.. and only that

I have keyword linking to all search pages...
and no PR bleeds

on to PR4
NO on site duplicate content that the spider sees..
NO spidered image links
my Link reputation = my core topic

I would be able to hit PR5 if I built more content to get more PR focus for specific pages.. but then I am lazy and umm I booked 3 gigs today so what would the point be??

Its not about getting PR7 or higher
its about getting the traffic you want and need to get the gigs you want
and my conversion is where I want it to be so that I can sit at home a few days a week and play with my son... and play GemCraft (tower war games are addictive)
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
"If I get good feedback from this I might add to the post a list of websites with utilities to help with SEO / SEM"

Please feel free to do so

Much thanks
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
http://www.seochat.com/seo-tools/

that's a great site for free tools to use

a site that I suggest and personaly use and have used on other sites is

http://www.nichebot.com

ok off to a gig... I will be back on tonight
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
For PPC, Google is clearly the best of the bunch... not only are they the 800 pound gorilla, they have IMO the best tool set.

I'm no SEO expert, so I won't go there. But I am doing pretty solid biz using Adwords... I typically book 3 to 5 kidshows a week using Adwords PPC + my website(s).

Note that website(s) is plural. I have several ad groups set up in my Adwords account, and each ad group has at least one customized website tied to it.

Here's a little on how it works:

Each ad group is based around a core set of keywords,
for example:

"birthday" ad group
"kids" ad group
"magic" ad group

For each ad group, I'm always split testing two different ads. The headline in the ad uses the core ad group keyword prominently. For example, the birthday ad headline might say:

Best Birthday Party

For the split test, I'd either change the headline and keep the body copy the same, or change the body copy and keep the headline the same. Just to see what works best.

Each ad group's ads will point to a different version of my website, where the website uses that ad group's keyword as a focal point.

The "Birthday" ad group website talks about birthday parties.

The "Magic" ad group website focuses on magic.

The "Kid" ad group website emphasizes kidshows.

They are all relatively the same, but the copy has been tweaked -- this makes sure that when the prospect goes to your website after clicking on a Google Ad, they see a site where the term they originally searched on is everywhere they look.

And the key to remember: keep with it. Track your results and continually test, monitor, and adjust.
--Jack
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
That is a huge share Jack. Thanks!
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Boy Howdy Jack... that was awesome!

I am a zero expert in SEO. As a matter of fact, I VERY “deliberately” didn’t want people to find my sites for a looooong time, "I" wanted to direct them to the site I wanted them to see myself so I REMOVED all meta, alt and all the stuff that "used to be" important.

I have recently changed my mind for 'some' of my sites and I am looking for some free (hard work, but not so much money) trafficked eyeballs for lead generation so I have been taking classes, reading books, talking to professionals and training with experts for the last year so... now I have been so busy (This Marketing Stuff WORKS!) that I have not actually DONE much of anything yet (well maybe a little on some of my sites, but mostly testing strategies) and what Jack shares is dead-on from what I have learned in my limited results and testing... THANKS!

I have helped a few others get ranked by just sharing some of the insights I have learned so far and to date, THEY WORK! We'll see how often and consistently they work when I start my own various campaigns.

Truth is, as far as I can tell, it is a "wholistic" approach with SEO, PPC, PR, marketing and all the applied strategies of all shapes and sizes for the total success outcome as far as I have learned and experienced thus far

Again, thanks Jack!

Gotta go,
Deano (finally back) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
To Mike Clay's site reference I will add:
SEOmoz.com, SEOBook.com, and http://123SocialMedia.com

Do also some research about how the hosting company you use can affect your Google rank. I have it on good authority that GoDaddy.com is not the best choice for hosting for this reason.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I really like SEO book..

a friend of mine is playing with a new program call seonuke... its a article spinner that also submits the articles to directories...

waiting to see how well it works.. (If it doesn't he screws up his site not mine)

if it works well I will post a link...
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Mike, what are your thoughts on what Jack wrote? It seems to me that PPC, having some advantages, has serious weaknesses. It's not cumulative, mainly: devoting cash to the PPC means that a performance is going straight to marketing costs: if the clicks convert, great (and I'm glad for Jack). But the advantage of SEO is that non-performance time (I won't say spare time) produces marketing results.
Getting keywords organically produces results without the monthly bill... and yields a cumulative effect. Not to mention the way that affects all the related keywords, such as a performer's real name, and related businesses. In other words, more bang for the buck and a more consistent conversation.
What do you think?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Brian,
PPC can get great results "IF" your good at it.. and most ARN'T

I am "OK" at best with it so I only use PPC to test key phrases and to see which of them converts into sells .. then use that data to optimize pages geared specifically toward those phrases for a better organic search result..

this is how I run all of my sites...

if you want to get great at Adwords and such google "perry Marshal"
he is "THE" Guru on ppc advertising...
I have his ebook and use it... but I'm still not good enough to bank a whole lot of my marketing budget on it...

Keep in mind Time is MONEY
and if you can spend 20 min building a ppc ad that will make you 1k a month profit..
is that better than making 1.5k profit and spending 30hrs a month to get the organic listing..

so you have to weigh it out yourself on that end... for me.. well I'm just not sold on PPC as a effective answer..

especially since the search results pages have so many results for places like kudzu and other companies that aren't entertainers...
to much room for us ALL to grow organically and take over the serps
(ALSO I am redesigning my site currently to get higher ratings)
and will be launching 4 new sites within the next 2 months
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » SEO / SEM / PPC / website basics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL