The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Menu of Miracles vol. 1 and 2 by James Prince - Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1872 Posts

Profile of Daren
Hiya all,

Well first off let me say I am not the best person to do a review of a product but I'll give this my best shot. What I am going to do is review the effects on here, James does go into various other advice such as tips, How much to charge, right restaurant, etc., and this advice is like he states 'gold dust'. I have been performing at a restaurant myself for other 8 years and have added a few little tips to my act.

Where to buy - http://www.rsvpmagic.com

Repeat Travelers - Three cards vanish from the deck and then appear in the magicians pockets, put back in the deck and then vanish again

I say - very clever, to be honest with you the method flew right by me and the method is great, one that is going to require a little work to get as smooth as James does it, but I think this routine is worth it, an ideal opener as it is fast and snappy.

Mirrors - is a unique finish to a card routine, placing the deck into the spectators hands, they solidify into five solid blocks of mirror

I say - this is just great, it is an ideal ending to a card routine, james does a very short ambitious card type routine and then ends with this climax, but this type of ending can be brought in to any card routine whenever you want to finish a card act, I think this is a jaw dropper!

Multiple Cards To Pocket - six signed cards are lost in the deck and instantly vanish, appearing in every trouser pocket including one in a selaed envelope!

I say - another very great visual routine, again can be used as an opener, but there are some techniques you will need to get down before performing this, this again is certainly worth the effort.

Card over/under and in matchbox - a freely selected card jumps under, over and finally inside a matchbox that is in full view the entire time

I say - another very powerful effect and the built in misdirection is superb! it got me and I was watching it on TV/DVD, you can see the reactions on the spectators faces and they cannot believe what has just happened during the course of the effect, brilliant routining!

Ring in pepper pot illusion - a borrowed ring vanishes and reappears inside a clear pepper pot that is sitting on the table

I say - brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, excuse the cliche but this one is worth the price of the whole set, this one piece is bloody great! a little bit of preparation is needed to perform this, and James has kindly offered to make one for me, what a guy!!!

Impromptu Anniversary Waltz - use any deck and no double face cards.

I say - another excellent routine, there are some subtle convincers in this routine which have me convinced to try this one out, again the reactions on the spectators is great, complete shock!

Cups And Balls At Speed - boy is this a fast cups and balls routine, using three cups and only three balls, still didn't see the final loads being loaded, strong quick visual routine

Easiest Bill In Kiwi - yep the name of this trick says it all, I have always shyed away from this type of effect due to using a TT which I have never been a fan of to be honest, this effect uses no TT and there is not a bill change in sight!

Kiwi Finese - a great little addition to the routine, which will throw off the wise guys!

Shoot The Kiwi - this is a method whereby there isn't the usual method of preparation, this is one I'll be trying out for sure, reminds me of a card to envelope, if you know this method you'll know what I mean

Blue Card - a signed card which was red turns blue and ends up being a prediction card in your wallet, a very fast snappy routine, I like this one a lot after a second viewing

Brain Freeze - a very visual packet trick, where cards turn face up, face down then change backs again and then finally turns into a royal flush, very visual!

Signed Card Through Window - yet another method of doing this classic effect, however this is a method I have not seen before, this is so darn clever!!! I'll be trying this out for sure.

You can see more descriptions of the effects on the website I have listed above, and see a few demos of the effects performed. I really do like this set and think I have got more than my moneys worth out of about 3-4 of the effects out of this DVD set. Highly recommended!
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I agree with Daren, this is an excellent set of DVD's.

It's very clear that James has been doing restaurant magic for many years and I really enjoyed what he had to say. The advice is extremely useful and to be honest the highlight of the DVD's for me. He mentioned several things that I hadn't thought about before - this guy really knows what he's talking about!

The magic is very strong indeed and on several occasions the spectators were seriously stunned - as was I on a couple of occasions!

The ring in Pepper Shaker is a remarkable effect and the few who will go to the trouble of making the prop will have a real reputation maker.

His Cups & Balls routine is the fastest I've ever seen and the final loads are introduced before the effect has barely started. If I were looking to add this classic to my repertoire, this would be the routine I would learn.

His Bill in Kiwi contains a rather wonderful switch which will fly past everyone. Those who have previously found kiwi's rather cumbersome to "shuttle pass" will be delighted with James' solution.

The Card in Matchbox is another powerful routine with lots of strong in-built misdirection to help get the job done. This is James' signature routine and it's easy to see why.

I should mention that much of the card material is far from self-working. Several of the effects require mastery of the Diagonal Palm Shift. While James explains the technique pretty well, it will take some work to get down.

One thing that I would have liked to have seen on the DVD is some comments on actually getting the restaurant to hire you. James does discuss choosing a restaurant, fees, tips and approaching a table, but advice on getting hired would have been the icing on the cake.

To sum up, if you work, or want to work in restaurants I think you'll find these DVD's very useful Ė I know I did.

Iain.
Up_in_smoke
View Profile
Regular user
England
139 Posts

Profile of Up_in_smoke
I agree with what has already been said. The information givin on these DVDs are gold dust, there are things said on this set that ive never heard said on other DVDs that cover the same topic. If a pro like Iain Moran (star of covert magic which is also exellent) can learn from these, imagine what a mortal like myself can learn. The effects on the set are also exellent, there are no pipe dreams and can find there way into anyones restaurant routine. A few of my favourites are THE WORLDS EASIEST BILL IN KIWI, RING IN PEPPERPOT, SIGNED CARD THRU WINDOW and CUPS AND BALLS AT SPEED because I don't have anything like this in my routine, so they will getting added as soon as possible. IMPROMTU ANNIVERSARY WALTZ is also really good and doesw what is says on the tin. I already do an impromtu version called Hula Fusion by Carl Andrews but this has some really great ideas so I'm thinking of ways to combine the two. As Iain said some effects require use of the diagonal card shift, and I think its a Larry Jennings variation which looks really good when in the hands of Mr Prince, but I cant seem to get it so ive gone back to the Erdnase version from The Expert At The Card Table. I did contact Mr Prince about construction for one of the effects and I got a speedy helpful reply back giving me all the information I need, thanks James.

I would recommend these dvds to anyone who is wanting to do close up magic in a restaurant.

Sean
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Any other reviews?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of frankw
Ican not do another review for this DVD's, because english is not my first languege but my thinking about this set.
The effects are all "classic effects" but other like the sponge balls or Ambitious Card rarly seen. So you have material that not every other magician has in his shows. All are so practical that they can be performed in real world contitions. But for me the routines are really great but what James Prince is talking about the business are so fantastic and I think it is pur gold! He is a pro and he is talking about the real secrets of this business!
Frank
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Frank, your English is better than mine and most folks I know. Thanks for your thoughts!

illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
120 Posts

Profile of illusion123
Just received James Princeís Menu of Miracles DVDís and I am very disappointed.
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. But are most of the effects really practical for the majority of magicians?

Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James has a custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use these many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

How many magicians would carry four pieces of fruit and three good size cups around for a close up gig?

Just my personnel opinion but I buy DVDís to learn new effects and maybe use some of them in my work. Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects. I donít think James needs worry about many other magicians using any of his effects.

After watching the DVDís I feel a little cheated knowing that I will never probably use any of these effects, due to the difficulty in making the props and finding the materials.

With all due respect I think James should have spent more time explaining the Diagonal palm shift rather than going on about his Canadian accent at the end of the DVD.

Although clever stuff to watch, I believe most of the effects would take a lot of preparation and the majority of magicians would not bother.

Still never mind another set of DVDís to hide away in the cupboard forever.

Anyone want them for a tenner?

Chris
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 06:42, illusion123 wrote:
Just received James Princeís Menu of Miracles DVDís and I am very disappointed.
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. But are most of the effects really practical for the majority of magicians?

Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James has a custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use these many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

How many magicians would carry four pieces of fruit and three good size cups around for a close up gig?

Just my personnel opinion but I buy DVDís to learn new effects and maybe use some of them in my work. Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects. I donít think James needs worry about many other magicians using any of his effects.

After watching the DVDís I feel a little cheated knowing that I will never probably use any of these effects, due to the difficulty in making the props and finding the materials.

With all due respect I think James should have spent more time explaining the Diagonal palm shift rather than going on about his Canadian accent at the end of the DVD.

Although clever stuff to watch, I believe most of the effects would take a lot of preparation and the majority of magicians would not bother.

Still never mind another set of DVDís to hide away in the cupboard forever.

Chris

I don't have this set yet, but don't understand what you're so angry about. You have a website that says you do everything from close-up shows to trade shows and says

"Kris Krendo is an Award Winning Magician and a Member of the world famous Magic Circle, with over 20 years experience entertaining all over the country from small private parties to high profile corporate events"

and you need help with a Diagonal palm shift? This is your first post on the Cafť. Do you know James Prince and have some sort of grudge against him?

I have Tommy Wonder's L&L DVD set and don't use any of the magic from them. Some of it requires expensive props, etc. yet it's one of my favorite sets. I enjoy seeing working professionals and how they perform.

You said " the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does..." and then you slam the effects because there is prep to them.

You also say "Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects". Perhaps they can learn something form watching them? Maybe they can take an effect and streamline it for what they do?

Anyone else have these?

russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Kris,

I'm sorry that you feel that way about the DVDs. To be honest I don't understand your problem regarding the preparation for some of the effects. James uses these routines night after night and what is on the DVDs is his complete professional working set. Preparing your pockets for one of the routines is surely not a problem unless you just want self-working material that is ready to go without any effort at all. Once made, the trousers are set and ready to go for a long, long time. I know that James prepares his Kiwis before each show and if taking less than a minute to prepare something is too much bother for you, then I don't really know what to say! Seeing the reactions that James gets, I'd say it's a minute well spent!

Best,
Russ
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2932 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I purchased these DVD's and I liked them. As illusion123 (Chris) mentioned above about obtaining props, he's right in regards to at least one of the effects. "Ring to Pepper Pot." This will take some searching but would definitely be worth it.....
This DVD also prompted me to learn the Diagonal Palm Shift. I never used that sleight before but I will now because of his card to pockets routine.. No it was not taught adequately on the DVD but there are many sources. John Carney's DVD on palming covers the sleight very well.

I agree with Ian Moran's above post. Lot's of great ideas. I liked his Card Through Window idea and the Bill in Kiwi variation. I'm happy with my purchase.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
230 Posts

Profile of james prince
Just back from my annual holiday and would like to personally address the points raised by Kris Krendo in his posting (illusion123 - dated 8th August)

Kris writes -
I would say that the effects on the DVD are very clever and James is obviously very experienced at what he does, and these effects must have taken a long time and hard work to put together. Most of the effects take a lot of preparation and where do you find the materials?

James replies -
Preparation falls into two categories - One Off Preparation (for example sewing a holder into a jacket) and Routine Preparation which you have to do before each and every show.
Only one effect on the DVDs requires any significant routine preparation and there are many routines that require no preparation whatever.
Only one routine uses anything that is not available in routine shops and DIY outlets and if entered on to Google this can be found in about 10 seconds. If anyone's really stuck, I'm more than happy to help out.

Kris writes -
James has custom made pockets for his effects, how many magicians use this many pockets? His jacket is quite big.

James replies -
I use the Carl Cloutier trouser pocket in two of my effects, all other routines can be performed with normal trousers.
All routines can be performed with a normal jacket and often are!

Kris writes -

James replies -
Is this a joke? - Any one who performs the cups and balls!
Michael Ammar - David Williamson - Michael Vincent - the list is almost endless!

Kris writes -
Although these effects are very good to watch I cannot see many magicians using the effects.

James replies -
This is the first time I've released any of my material and it was only Russ Steven's arm twisting that finally got me to do so. Having done so, I've been watching the DVDs progress like an anxious parent whose kids just started school.
Since the release I'm thrilled to say that I've been exchanging emails with magicians all over the world, who not only intend to perform the effects but are already doing so. One very clever German (Frank) has already come up with some rather good variations, which I'm looking forward to trying out.

Kris writes -

James replies -
If you accept Paypal I will be more than pleased to take them off your hands, as demand looks to exceed supply and I would like to find them a new home

All the best to everyone who has bought the DVDs and a special thank-you to those who leapt to their defence, having them mentioned in the same paragraph as Tommy Wonder's felt pretty good too!
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Now, James, I'm afraid I have to correct you: David Williamson does a two cup routine, why would he carry a third? ;-)

Vol. 2 is on its way over to me, I'll be sure to chime in when I've watched it.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 09:50, Doctor D wrote:
David Williamson does a two cup routine, why would he carry a third? ;-)

So he can do his "Is that a third cup in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?" gag.
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of frankw
For me the highlight on this DVD's is that this routines can not be seen from every magician like the ACR or sponge balls.
Ok it is also for me not practical to have the cups in my pocket, but if I have them in the bag with me it is fine and the routine by itself is very practical.
It is much esier to have four coins and a deck of cards in your pockets at your shows, but with this routines your are on another level and think about to use this routines in a formal show! For me this set of DVD's is super!
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
230 Posts

Profile of james prince
Well spotted Doctor D - of the 'endless' list of three cup routine performers, I had to pick someone who famously used two cups only

Still think of the pocket space that carrying TWO good sized cups entails - not to mention those heavy wooden lemons!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3048 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 06:42, illusion123 wrote:

Chris

Is this 10 quid or 10 dollars or...? Does it include shipping?
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just got these and will watch and review.

Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 05:42, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I just got these and will watch and review.

Great, I'm sure you'll only have good things to say about James and his work.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well, I just watched "Mirrors" and the ending shocked me ( I can only imagine the impact it has on a spectator ). James Prince is a delightful performer and if the rest of the DVD's have the impact "mirrors" has, then I'm in for a real treat.

illusion123
View Profile
Regular user
Wolverhampton, England
120 Posts

Profile of illusion123
Firstly I want to say sorry if I have offended anyone with my review on James Prince DVD, I thought I was allowed an opinion. It seems Christopher Kavanagh as taken my opinion the wrong way and decided to have a go at me. I do not have a grudge against James Prince and just because I do not perform the Diagonal shift palm, does not mean I am not a competent magician. This is just my opinion.

Every magician performs a different style of magic and James Prince is an excellent magician, but from my own personnel point of view I prefer effects that are a little more straight forward and do take as much preparation as the effects on this DVD.
This does not mean I am lazy and am not prepared to make anything for the sake of a good effect.

I have purchased many DVDís from rsvpmagic.com and the productions of the DVDís are excellent and I have always got something out of everyone purchased except this one. The Martin Sanderson DVDís are excellent and even though preparation is involved in some of the effects, they are more straightforward and I have used them.

Iím afraid ďanyone want them for tennerĒwas said tongue in cheek.
The James Prince DVD obviously appeals to a lot of people according to the forum but not me Iím afraid. The DVDís are well worth the money to someone who is prepared to put the effort in to find the materials and make them to perform some of the effects.

This is not a personnel dig at anyone especially James Prince, just my personnel opinion of the DVD.

Kris Krendo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Menu of Miracles vol. 1 and 2 by James Prince - Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL