The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Rights: FBI Fights Testing For False DNA Matches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
OK... This is very weird. Not sure what the implications of this one even are!

"The Los Angeles Times reports that an Arizona crime lab technician found two felons with remarkably similar genetic profiles, so similar that they would ordinarily be accepted in court as a match, but one felon was black and the other white.
The FBI estimated the odds of unrelated people sharing those genetic markers to be as remote as 1 in 113 billion. Dozens of similar matches have been found, and these findings raise questions about the accuracy of the FBI's DNA statistics.
Scientists and legal experts want to test the accuracy of official statistics using the nearly 6 million profiles in CODIS, the national system that includes most state and local databases.
The FBI has tried to block distribution of the Arizona results and is blocking people from performing similar searches using CODIS. A legal fight is brewing over whether the nation's genetic databases ought to be opened to wider scrutiny.

At stake is the credibility of the odds often cited in DNA cases, which can suggest an all but certain link between a suspect and a crime scene."
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water....
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
When it comes to DNA if the odds are 1 in 113 billion that means that there is a chance of a match. No one ever said there was no chance of a match. Now if you have DNA matching a white guy who was in the area a crime was commited against his ex girlfriend who people heard him threaten and he had no alibi then guess what? He is likely guilty. They shouldn't just be looking at DNA but it is just a factor, one piece in the puzzle.

It is like when I ran into my niecephew at a biker rally in another state. People say 'wow, I wonder what the odds were that you would run into each other', I reply 'seems to have been 100% looking back'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Rights: FBI Fights Testing For False DNA Matches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL