The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Oz Perlman's Clutch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
The Penguin video looks great http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1875
Is there someone who have this one and can tell us about the pros and cons?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Peo, I must admit that this one does look like a winner. There's a discussion on Clutch here - reviews are mixed..

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......=218&118
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
OOOPS! My bad. Thanks for the thread evolve.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
No...It should really be in a review thread by now anyway.

Besides all of the other stuff that everyone is arguing about in the other thread that really doesn't matter, I think that this is a great effect. Its impromptu and can be done with a borrowed deck. Besides that, Its a great effect for your spectators.

Oz does a great job teaching as usual.

Its well worth a look.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I was watching clutch on penguin magic and I thought I read about this trick before. So I got out my mark Wilson’s Complete Course in Magic and Cyclopedia of Magic and looked for it. The trick that is very similar to it is called “the card case escape” and it’s in both books. So if you are interested in clutch, please read the card case escape first. Oh and there is no palming in this version.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
About the only difference is that Clutch explains a "favorite method"
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Clutch also has a presentation and a few technical touches to make the effect play big.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-10-21 09:59, Jeff Corn wrote:
Clutch also has a presentation and a few technical touches to make the effect play big.

It is. Ditto!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
kcmagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of kcmagic
Peo - Clutch is a fooler. The spectator does just about everything, yet the method is far easier than you can imagine. In the demo, Oz SHOWS the secret, but yet you'll probably never catch it. It's SOOO simple and clean that it's truly amazing. Well worth getting this trick. (I actually knew how to do it before purchasing it, but knew Oz deserved the cash for bringing this to the table!)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Oz Pearlman’s Clutch
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up card trick
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Clutch is a routine out of Penguin Magic featuring the always attempting to be charming Oz Pearlman. The basic routine is the spectator selects a card, any card, and they, the spectator, can push it back into the deck and shuffle. The cards are inserted into the card box and then into the spectators pocket, the magician reaches into the pocket and pulls out the selected card, the rest of the cards are still in the closed box. Tada! This is a pretty cool trick and very easy to do. I liked it when I first saw it 20 years ago done from the pocket, I liked it when it was done under a silk while the card box was held by the spectator, in other words this isn’t as original with Oz as he seems to think, what a surprise. That all being said it is an easy trick to perform and while I think it looks better and is more spectator friendly to do it under a silk it is a nice little effect.

The production quality is what you expect, performances in the dark, irritating music, the whole ‘street’ experience. The explanation is clearly shot and Oz does a good job explaining things and aims his explanation, clearly, at true beginners. At they end there is a voice over, with an odd accent, with an attempt to credit some of the moves. It is as you would expect, everything is old and historical except the brilliant changes made by Oz which actually were done by many others over the years. Hey, everything old is new again so if Oz wants to claim it and has no knowledge of others releasing the same thing more power to him. If being able to produce a card from a deck of cards in some ones packet sounds good to you, and remember it is a cool trick, then you might want to look into Clutch.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I have this video, it's easy and fun to do.....
but it's quite easy to guess, how to pulls out the card from spectator pocket.
I know from the firs time I seen the demo video....
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
I recently received Clutch from Penguin magic. (BTW, great service)

My comments here do not include weighing out the history of the basics making up the effect, how many other places you can find a similar effect or even the pros and cons of this particular DVD.

My feedback is simply this: This DVD does a good job of teaching an effect which has the potential of being highly effective for real-world audiences, such as most of those that we perform for in real-world settings. I'm not going to factor in if it has the potential to fool magicians or quote other sources where it can be found under different names. I'm simply providing a personal recommendation as a part-time magician who appreciates an effective resource. I value Clutch, or whatever name you want to give it, as an effect for real-world application.

BTW: Some of us learn better via mediums such as DVDs as opposed to books. While I love books, for myself I translate the moves better when shown to me rather than the same info provided in written form.

Thanks.
Ron
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
HERE HERE Ron! Most of us "artists" in any form or another prefer a visual instruction as apposed to anything written. I can tell you first hand after 30 years of playing the guitar, and can learn quicker by watching a DVD as opposed to reading music! How can anyone dispute that?

TGFV (Thank God for VIDEO!)

CPH
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What does Clutch have to do with DVD instruction vs those designed for literates? Mr. Zaprig, you learned to play guitar from books and then from DVD?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Oz Perlman's Clutch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL