The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball and Tube (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
What is the best version of ball and tube in your estimation??
Not the routine mind you but the props themselves. There seems to be many
out there...
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
After Working With Many Versions Of This Effect I Still Go Back To The Original Silver EZ Magic Ball And Tube.
Not Locking And Rather Simple.

Just My Two Cents.

Best,

Vincent Smile Smile Smile
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I totally agree with Vincent. I got the deluxe locking type (Johnson I think) and went running back to the good old original.
Simple is best.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Ditto. I used a brass model that was solid. It did not play as well of the standard steal tube.

Michael
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Well it's looking pretty positive for EZ Magic. Thanks guys!
Anyone else??
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I used the EZ when I was a kid and got great reactions ( even from adults). Only problem I had was when handing it out for inspection there was a telltale sound like the ring of metal when I stole the one piece from the other.
No one ever called me on it but I stopped doing it as I was convinced they heard something fishy.
I used to like doing the effect and it is a great to carry piece of pocket magic. I'll have to pick up one as soon as I find a source seein as how now I'm all growed up.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
I Believe That You Have More Control With The Non Locking Type.
It Always Seemed To Me That If I Handed The Locking Type Out For Examination, There Was Enough Question In The Minds Of The Spectators That Suggested Gaff.
And At That Point They'd Begin Twisting And Turning And Generally Believing That There Must Be Two Tubes.
With The Simpler Version, Once You Clean Up, There Is No Where For Them To Go.
There Are A Couple Of Decent Pamphlets On The Ball And Tube.
One Is By Magic Ian, I Think, And The Other Is By Docc Hilford.
Play Around With A Clean Up Move Until You Are Comfortable. You Can Work It Out, Believe Me.
Okay, Enough Of My Two Cents.
Best,
Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
No need to feel like you're talking too much Vincent as I love LOTS of info.
I appreciate you taking the time to share that with me. I've kinda wondered which is best (locking vs non) and I think I'd rather clean up than leave it to chance.
Thanks again!
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I have used the locking one for years and have never had anyone discover the method.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
I cast another vote for the old EZ Magic version (I own it and the Johnson). As Vincent said once you clean up your done.
Thanks,
Bruce
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
I have go with Docc Hilford's Ball & Tube routine. The ball shrinks while you hold it. Then it shrinks without the gimmick. Then it shrinks again in the SPECTATOR'S HAND! You really can't get any better than that! Easy to do and really freaks people out. And it's not a bizarre weerd handling. It's very commercial, very unique, and easy to do.

Just my .21 pesos.

Ben S
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Although the OP asked about the prop itself and not the routine, I've seen several people reference Doc Hillford's routine. I think I'll have to check it out and dig my ball and tube out of the drawer!
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 15:06, BenSalinas wrote:
I have go with Docc Hilford's Ball & Tube routine. The ball shrinks while you hold it. Then it shrinks without the gimmick. Then it shrinks again in the SPECTATOR'S HAND! You really can't get any better than that! Easy to do and really freaks people out. And it's not a bizarre weerd handling. It's very commercial, very unique, and easy to do.

Just my .21 pesos.

Ben S

The Docc Hilford manuscript is not only bizzarre and unworkable, but the entire manuscript is plageurized. I will gladly show anyone this any time, as I have my original document and the Hilford travesty that only gets notoriety from those who haven't read the other.
The exerpt from the original was based on an idea by Walter B. Gibson, who wrote the segment as one of his last contributions at age 82. Gibson describes the simple move in one short paragraph whereas the Hilford does this with innocuous patter for the entire booklet.
My booklet was never intended as a treatisis on patter effects, merely gathering clever effects from contributors around the world and my own invention.
-Magic Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Magic Ian,
Where is your booklet available? Thanks.

Bob
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Available in almost every shop in the country that deals with ezmagic, I sold them the printing rights several years ago, its only $3, sometimes $2.50.
Its not gone with the wind, but some cool moves and great contributions.
Available on my site: http://www.tricks.ws
direct link to item:
http://bigduck.tripod.com/id5.html#tube
Free shipping to Café members.
------
Sorry to sound off like that, but the Hillford book pretty much used my Intro word for word, but the real shame was using my illustrations and ad cuts from old magic companies. Same ad cuts, same order. My booklet waas written in 1980.
------------
----Magic Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I can say that I really prefer Ian's book and methods. The locking tube has no appeal to me.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 23:16, Bob Sanders wrote:
I can say that I really prefer Ian's book and methods. The locking tube has no appeal to me.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

The makers of the locking effect (I think it was Sterling magic?), wanted a coupla gross of my books, but I had to tell them that none of my methods would work with their ball and tube. The locking was originally part of Brema's Brasses.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Thanks again guys for the input! Very much appreciated indeed.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 23:07, magicians wrote:
Available in almost every shop in the country that deals with ezmagic, I sold them the printing rights several years ago, its only $3, sometimes $2.50.
Its not gone with the wind, but some cool moves and great contributions.
Available on my site: http://www.tricks.ws
direct link to item:
http://bigduck.tripod.com/id5.html#tube
Free shipping to Café members.
------
Sorry to sound off like that, but the Hillford book pretty much used my Intro word for word, but the real shame was using my illustrations and ad cuts from old magic companies. Same ad cuts, same order. My booklet waas written in 1980.
------------
----Magic Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the PM with that info. I'm also interested in your booklet. I'll check out the links!

Bob
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I don’t know about ownership issues or copyright infringements
…but is you’ve ever seen Docc Hilford perform the ball-and-tube live,
you’ll believe he’s sold his soul to the devil for those powers.

Audiences are literally speechless with their jaws on the floor,
his performance could start a small religion it’s so magical and powerful.

Again, I don’t know anything about the plagiarism issues,
which in my book would be punishable by the fires of hell…
but Docc’s working is as far from “patter” as nursery rhymes are from Shakespeare.

My thoughts,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Ball and Tube (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL