The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Harries Bosco Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a set of the Bosco cups made by Harries in Sweden. I've checked them out at the Museum and I really like the traditional styling (I'm leaning towards taller traditional cups now). Does anyone here use these? Any recommendations? How's the weight on the copper models and the aluminium models?

Any info greatly appreciated.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Geoffrey,

I do have Harries' Bosco in copper. I do use it depending on my theme. Price wise, it may very well be the cheapest of its kind. These are high quality cups and they do not tarnish. I have handled the aluminum models and they are certainly lighter than the copper models. A very ellegant set in my opinion.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Thanks, Rannie. I've got a set of SBL tall traditionals coming (Jake spun them last week), and I'm thinking that the Boscos, being that much taller than the SBLs, might give me some good variety...

G
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
First off you will LOVE the RNT Traditionals. They are my favorites in my whole collection. That said, the Harries Bosco cups are also great although much lighter. They will offer variation on load sizes and close up/stage work. If you want your Bosco cups to tarnish you need to remove the lacquer on them. Try and use something nice and safe like Citristrip.

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1344 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I also have a set of Bosco cups. They are very nice cups for the price.
I however did not like the varnish or coating that is standard on these cups, I think it makes them look cheap.
I removed the coating, thus allowing them to patina very nicely.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Thanks, Todd & Professorwhut; that's great advice re the Bosco lacquer coating. Will definitely remove it when I get the cups. Much appreciated advice, guys.

G
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I'm looking forward to getting my sets of RNT II Traditionals. I may not be able to keep them but I can at least admire them for little while. Smile

I've looked at the Bosco Cups but never got around to purchasing them. They look like a great set of cups and you certainly can't beat the price.

Jeff
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Hey, Jeff, me too; I'm having dreams about the RNTII Traditionals!

G
mballen11502
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis, TN
202 Posts

Profile of mballen11502
The RNT2 traditionals in antique bronze are on my wish list. I think the traditionals from RNT2 are as good as any traditional cup out there and the antiqued bronze look is just stunning IMO.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I use Boscos pretty much exclusively as I do cups mainly at Renaissance and Mediaeval festivals. I like them better than the RNT2 Traditionals as they are larger and, at least for me, have more period feel to them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I bought some Bosco style cups from Tim Star - a combo set and I must say the Mendoza move is difficult with this style cup..........
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
I have the Harries cups and like them a lot. They are lighter than I would have liked but if I'm not mistaken they will hold a baseball. My first set of cups was a set of P&L chrome cups I got from Al Flosso when Lyndon Johnson was president. I like the tapered cups best but the P&L was limited as to size of final load. I wouldn't beat the Harries with a wand very hard and I would try not to drop them. With that said I think they are very elegant and if you put the final loads on top of the cups it's hard to believe they would fit in them.

NM
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Thanks, Payne, Robert & Noel...this is all really helpful.

G Smile
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1529 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
G,
I also use a Bosco set...love them! They replaced the set in my avatar (which was a Bazar set of coppers) and have tarnished beautifully! Highly recommended.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Thanks, Rick...the Boscos are getting a great response here.

G Smile
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I got one set of my RNT II Traditional Cups this week. I must say they are a thing of beauty.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have a mint condition set of Harries Bosco cups I'd be willing to sell.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 1:08pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where are you located, Mr. Pangborn (?) Need to figure out shipping. It may be, if you are in Sydney, Australia, it would be cheaper to get them from Sweden?
If USA based, I'd want $100 total including priority mail shipping.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
That's a good price. Bosco cups are a tad light but serviceable all the same. I like them.

Fortasse
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Hi Pete,

I am in Sydney, and thanks for the offer. That's very kind of you, and I'd like to accept. I've just done a currency check against the Euro and, even with the cost of postage, your price is great. Many thanks; much appreciated. Will you let me know total cost and how to send you the money--Paypal, Money Order, whatever you prefer.

Best,

Geoffrey Smile

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 7:37pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete,

I also sent you a PM. Thanks very much!

G

Quote:
On 2008-08-08 12:56, phillipsje wrote:
I got one set of my RNT II Traditional Cups this week. I must say they are a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to getting mine too, Jeff! Smile

G
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
Where is the best place to buy the Bosco's here in the states as I was considering a set as well? Any help would be appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Harries Bosco Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL