The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Do people like the 3 shell game or.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
If I do something, I do it right and hit it hard. I love the shell game, but havent done too much of it. If I decide to learn it, I want to work hard and spend a good deal of time every day with it. So I want to know before hand, aside from the fact that it is a popular con game and fun to do for reenactments and so forth, do people enjoy seeing it done in a friendly and impromptu like setting.I only ask, because its a little bit of a "gotcha game" and I was curious to know if that frustrates people. I was also worried it was to short of an "effect' (thats a bad word for it but?) to stand on its own. I really like Whit's performance because he can make it a 5 minute act with entertaining ease. (best routine I've seen so far!) I would really appreciate an honest interpretation of some of your experiences you entertainers have received performing this "favorite game" good or bad. thank you
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
It's my best effect. Draws the crowd. I do 4 rounds and end with a nut can covering the shell. (a good 5 minutes) I produce 2 kicker climaxes from under the can ala cups and balls, but with only a nut can. . Works WELL for me. When I'm done it all fits into the nut can with the plastic resealable lid.

Prof. Gizmo
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
That's a great idea! Would you mind if I also use the nut can idea? I've been looking for the best way to transport my shells. I currently use a little wooden box but it scratches my mat.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
About a month ago in my small town (25,000 without the students) some guy was apparently scamming people in the WalMart parking lot with some cups and balls. Started as a regular routine (hey, lemme show you some magic) on the hood of a car, and ended up with some money changing hands. The lady being "entertained" must've lost some money, because she reported him to the police. Imagine my surprise (being one of 2 magicians here in town who actually perform...the other is a college professor) when I open the newspaper and see a headline saying "magician scam in progress". Nice. That always helps business. At least nobody's flashing children here.

Steve
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Feel free to use the nut can. The ones with the metal bottoms can be used as a chop cup too.
Prof. Gizmo
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
You should get the bob kohler video, that is the version that whit haydn is performing on his web site. It is a great routine. I use the shells on the street and just auditioned for the magic castle doing my version of kohler's routine. I love performing them and the crowds love to see them. most everyone is familiar with the concept, if even from seeing the video at a baseball game of the ball hidden under the three ball caps on the big jumbotron. people have heard of the scam and want to see it live. same thing with poker demonstrations, or watching someone solve a rubiks cube really fast, most people have heard it or know someone that has seen it so they want to see it too.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
808 Posts

Profile of acesover
Another extremely entertaining video is the one by Phil Cass titled "The Pea & Shell Game". If you have this along with the Whit Haydn and Bob Sheets titled "An Introduction to the Shell Game" you will have all you need to become proficeint at the shell game...that plus practice.

The Phil Cass video (The Pea & Shell Game) is worth the price just to watch his performance. It is also an instructional video as is "An Introduction to the Shell Game" by Haydn and Sheets.

Ny advise if you are at all interestsed in the Shell Game get both of these. These are two videos that you will keep in your library and will just not sell ever.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Don't forget the "Scoundrels Touch" DVD just out. It is Volume II in our Shell Game Series. It is a two-disc volume (nearly three hours) that takes your shell game into the stratosphere.

It is the continuation of the "Introduction to the Shell Game."

The material on these two discs is new, never before published stuff. The first really significant improvements to the method of the shells published since the 1950's.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
This two DVD set by Whit is beyond wonderful. In addition to cutting edge techniques it has the wild "Gamblin' Sam" material...video and his posts. This is real street work, not magician stuff.

Whit's DVD got me thinking...why do some great DVD's not get the attention of not-so-great DVD's.

I think it is because when something is that good there is no controversy so all you have is agreement. That doesn't make for long threads.

Whit's DVD is that good.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Here's a video I'd love some feedback on. This was taken last weekend.
I don't perform many sequences. The 1st keeps the pea under the correct shell & the 2nd moves the pea. However, I use a small sticker to mark the location of the pea (this sticker "accidentally" falls off & get's put back on the "wrong" shell Smileevery time)

Then I move onto some funny business before the hat lines. The shells are Vernet & the jumbo is a Magic Makers....yeah I'm not so thrilled about that either. I have a SFS Street set of shells, but they don't match the jumbo shell. So, until I save up for the SFS Trade Shows...I'm stuck.

Sorry about the shouting...I'm not used to being filmed & wasn't sure how loud I needed to be in order for the camera to pick it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IbC6HHgWoo

PLEASE don't be a buncha lurkers. Lemme know what you think. Good or bad, I'm a big boy I can take it!!! I do this show every weekend a dozen or more times. I need to make it better. Offer some thoughts!!!
supercool
View Profile
Regular user
USA
156 Posts

Profile of supercool
I love the 3 shell game and I perform it almost every day. but it does challenge your audience in a way that pits them against you the magician. It sends out the Im smarter than you vibe, or you are a stupid person who is easily out smarted vibe. Therefore the audience does not sit back and enjoy the show, they instead try to prove that they are not stupid buy trying to trip you up anyway they can, either making you look stupid or themselves (which is good for no one). If you are good at audience management a lot of the "negative vibe" can be avoided. The way I try to do this is to let them know from the beginning that no one can beat this game "not even me", or I ask "Do you like to lose money in a fun way?"

as for the length of time the routine takes is up to you, but if you are worried about it being to short then you probably are not familiar enough with the routine to perform it yet. Study the game well, so well you impress yourself and you can go a few minutes with out getting boring or repetitive, then you will know that you are ready to start performing it.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Check out Smile TheMysticSpirit.com Smile
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1245 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2009-05-31 07:43, Chad wrote:

PLEASE don't be a buncha lurkers. Lemme know what you think. Good or bad, I'm a big boy I can take it!!! I do this show every weekend a dozen or more times. I need to make it better. Offer some thoughts!!!

I'd love to, but I guess the lurkers got to you and you decided to delete the video. That kinda closes the door for any further feedback.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Yeah, sorry about that. Here's a link to the middle part of my shell game. I've made the rest of the videos private.

You can befriend me on that site if you'd like a look at all my parts (so to speak).

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChadBallyhoo
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
808 Posts

Profile of acesover
Are you confusing "Cups and Balls" with "The Shell Game"?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Acesover, it's the 2nd video down. The one titled "The Shell Game" Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
808 Posts

Profile of acesover
Chad,

My mistake.

sorry

John (acesover)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Do people like the 3 shell game or.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL